Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 434 total)
  • Types of forum user
  • Edukator
    Free Member

I do think before posting, Tom. There’s nothing that I’ve posted myself that would make me want to disappear. However I would like to know whether I can make myself disappear should I ever get a lifetime ban. Not that I have any intention of posting anything that would merit such a ban.

Anyhow, enough of the hypotheticals that only a court case or three would resolve.

emanuel
    Free Member

Re.privacy.I think the point edukator makes is interesting,more so than the original thread,esp as quite a few people have posted some quite intimate stuff,companies are already looking at social media to research candidates,I don’t think it’s impossible to imagine someone tracking Ip codes and coming up with aliases used-but then,I don’t know much about IT).

anyway

I remember reading this on types of forum user.
    flame warriors

Drac

I’m going on holiday next week. No Internet. I really really can’t wait.

It’s a massive relief, itchy fingers for a day or so then utter peace.

GrahamS

companies are already looking at social media to research candidates

In the US it is apparently common for interviewers to ask candidates for their Facebook name and password!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

companies are already looking at social media to research candidates

How little some people know…

😈

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

How little some people know…

Some people from here stalk others from here on twitter…or so I’ve heard. And then they have the gall to trash it on here too.

yossarian
    Free Member

Some people from here stalk others from here on twitter…or so I’ve heard. And then they have the gall to trash it on here too.

How awful, that sounds a little unhealthy DD and quite possibly hypocritical too. I’ve also heard that some people construct a persona that differs from the reality of who they are. How indelicate.

sc-xc

And here we go.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve also heard that some people construct a persona that differs from the reality of who they are. How indelicate.

Noooooooo

You don’t say yosser, you don’t say!!

yossarian
    Free Member

I’m afraid so. Worse still I’m beginning to suspect that this forum isn’t being run for our benefit!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You’ve got to stop. You’re breakin’ my freakin’ heart here man.

GW
    Free Member

“<sighs>

I’m going on holiday next week. No Internet. I really really can’t wait. “ P A R T Y !!

😉

yossarian
    Free Member

He’ll find out, then you’ll be in trouble.

Jamie
    Free Member

And here we go.

?

Alex

Alex! Hi! Yes, it was a long time back. Sorry to hear of your loss at Les Gets, hopefully you’ve found a new one since?!
    snoorrfffff!!!

Harsh. But fair. Well this thread has all the good (amusing) and bad (self righteous priggary) that makes STW the Internet Smogsboard it’s come to be. Whoever said ‘don’t read the bottom of the Internet’ was clearly onto something.

*as you were people who are visually examining their small intestine. sorry to have interrupted such important work*

teasel
    Free Member

…things had calmed down so I no longer feared for my life or spouse’s job…

This had me in stitches. I suspect that it was all just a figment of your paranoiac mind, John. After all, you did go off the rails a tad back then. Today’s effort reads very similar to me…

roger_mellie

Lost the will to read all 9 pages, but for what its worth i would rather not have public tags. its difficult not to judge a book by its cover when the tag is saying ‘this person is fab, well they must be cos they’ve posted 5million times!’.

A newbie can have just as much as a valid comment to make as a serial poster, but i’d rather not know who’s what thanks. It becomes just like any other forum otherwise.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Just out of interest, what’s the format of a warning?. I’ve had two separate emails telling me I’m on a ban (or something of that nature), they both appeared to be generic emails perhaps handed out to everyone on that thread (my assumption), but I’m not sure. There was no actual ban on me personally on both occasions. On both occasions the whole thread had been pulled, but my post wasn’t that bad, maybe a bit naughty/risky perhaps. Just wondering how the warning/ban system works?. Is there a generic email sent out to everyone on a pulled thread, then individuals are weeded out?, or something?

aracer
    Free Member

Worse still I’m beginning to suspect that this forum isn’t being run for our benefit!

If STW is selling something to somebody, then given we’re not paying, we’re not the somebody…

aracer
    Free Member

If they were prior to January this year then you need a refresher.

Except that as mefty points out, the change you’re referring to hasn’t yet made it into UK law (I don’t believe – I’m far from the expert on this, but it would be unlikely for such a Euro change in January to have made it here yet). Quoting a 1988 UK law is irrelevant, as that clearly doesn’t contain the new clauses you’re so bothered about.

In any case, as I think you’ve realised you’d have to take STW to court if you think they’re not doing it right, and I don’t think you really want to go there. All of a bit of a pointless argument really – most of us were happy to have the acknowledgement that STW aren’t holding any secret data on normal users (that is what they said isn’t it? otherwise I’m still wondering about that DP request).

Interestingly, those hit with the ban hammer recently were mostly due to excessive pointless arguing.

druidh
    Free Member

Oh no they weren’t!

Hi GW – * waves *

GW
    Free Member

No Nana.. IME banning/warning Emails are usually pretty personal and so badly written they couldn’t be generic.

Harmless threads of mine (and others I’ve posted on) have been pulled with no explanation by Email.
    Have the generic Emails you’ve had been recently? (wondering if they’re a new thing.)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh no they weren’t

Tru dat.

druidh
    Free Member

Tsk! You’re supposed to retort with “oh yes they were!”. What a spoilsport.

Hi GW – * waves *

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

D’oh. I’m so slow sometimes. 😳

I was actually agreeing seeing as TSY wasn’t banned for excessive arguing.

zokes
    Free Member

Why was TSY banned? He always seemed amusing enough!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This

seems to be one of the problems – name and shame!

Junkyard
    Free Member

I also thought that was a strange one as well
    the others i could see some sort of reason , though not necessarily agree. He was fairly obviously just daft and harmless.
    Never really went on the politics or any arguolmypic thread

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This

Why was [i]insert name[/i] banned? He always seemed amusing enough!
    seems to be one of the problems – name and shame!

Sorry this was more my point nothing about TSY or anyone else.

Part of policing modding effectively is to make sure the scrotes users know whats coming to them if they overstep the line (and where the line is)

aracer
    Free Member

Tsk! You’re supposed to retort with “oh yes they were!”. What a spoilsport.

Behind you.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I don’t really want a ban, which giving the reasons for TSY’s banning would get me. However, I do feel they’re pertinent for anyone who discusses STW on other social networks. So email is in profile if you really want to know.

Cougar

In the US it is apparently common for interviewers to ask candidates for their Facebook name and password!

I hope they immediately discounted from a post anyone who actually proffered that information.

Jamie
    Free Member

Indeed. If the reason was valid, then Paul Chambers would be in prison.

It seems you are better of crying to the mods every time someone dares to affront your sensibilities, than occasionally take it on the chin, realise it takes two to tango or that life is too short to run to the powers that be over every little thing.

swavis

I’ve been using this forum for a while although I don’t post much but find it a wonderful resource of information on a wide range of topics from bikes to babies to what tyres I need 😉

I do read some of the argumentative threads but once they go past page 4 tend to find it’s just the same voices spouting their opinion again & again and don’t bother reading any further, although I’ve read all of this one. I therefore don’t see any need to tag usernames as you’ll find them all on any thread with 5 pages or more, unless it’s the superb photography one of course.

I was another who thought TSY was a rather funny but harmless character but have no idea why he was banned. Maybe some sort of reason on the thread that caused offence rather than users just disappearing would be a good idea so everybody knows the limits.

Blackhound

Not sure about tags really. Cycle club I am a member of used Cat 4 up to Cat 1 and elite based on number of posts. So Fun, Sport, Elite, Pro Elite or similar might work here if considered necessary.

The ‘member’ since date has probably been corrupted by the great hack so I for instance who has been a member since the Go-Far days(12 years now?) but that would not be picked up by the current systems (guessing here). How long someone has been here should not be indicative of the importance attached to there response or question though.

Had not realised TSY had been banned. Must say I am on here a bit less since I retired, too much to do I suppose.

One thing for the mods or His Grumpiness to consider is number of posts to a thread. Set an arbitrary limit, say 50 posts, and when it reaches this number the thread is auto locked (assuming this can be done) until a mod has a look at the content. If the ‘Big Hitters’ are having a go or bullying then the thread is closed. If it is a good-natured thread such as the bivvy, pictures, Olympic threads then unlock the thread and let it run. Might save a few bannings, TJ for instance who I generally agreed with – he just wouldn’t let it lie!

This can be a great place, I was after a knob for an mfi in-house cooker but did not know how to source one after mfi went bust as I did not know the manufacturer. Someone on here knew the maker and I got one. Plus what tyres for CyB.

D0NK

first rule of banhammer is don’t talk about banhammer
    second rule of banhammer…

Wonder if it’ll get called into service from this thread?

GW
    Free Member

It seems you are better off crying to the mods every time someone dares to affront your sensibilities, than occasionally take it on the chin, realise it takes two to tango or that life is too short to run to the powers that be over every little thing.

Agreed.
    I think the mods should take into account whether the whingee was proven wrong in his/her arguement and if so ban them instead for wasting theirs and others time.

GrahamS

This can be a great place, I was after a knob for an mfi in-house cooker but did not know how to source one after mfi went bust as I did not know the manufacturer. Someone on here knew the maker and I got one.

New forum tagline:

“STW: We Know a Thing or Two about Knobs Here” 😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Given that the mods are actively trying to mould the forum into a friendlier, more respectful and good-humoured place to hang out, I should think that they welcome “reportings” of abusive posters. I’ve had no hesitation in helping them achieve their objective…

Cougar

That’s very good of you. I think some of us will miss you though.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 434 total)

The topic ‘Types of forum user’ is closed to new replies.