Viewing 16 posts - 201 through 216 (of 216 total)
  • Type 1 Diabetics – Anyone got a FreeStyle Libre ?
  • Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

Still no NHS CGM for my lad.

DickBarton

I think, unless the diabetes is seriously out of control or absolutely no hypo awareness, getting cgm on NHS isn’t going to happen.

I was self-funding the libre for 18 months before getting it on prescription.

I really like the idea of a cgm solution that will talk to my pump but that is 250 a month…I can’t afford that and suspect NHS can’t either…it just can’t be had cheap enough.

Which is a shame (not that I can’t get it but the cost is prohibitive).

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

Do you know how much a month of test strips costs the NHS? Assuming 10 tests a day? I don’t. Unless you do, you can’t make that cost benefit analysis (even ignoring the health benefits and NHS costs saved by catching lows and highs before they happen).

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Do you know how much a month of test strips costs the NHS? Assuming 10 tests a day? I don’t. Unless you do, you can’t make that cost benefit analysis (even ignoring the health benefits and NHS costs saved by catching lows and highs before they happen)

More than the cost of a libre sensor. The break even (and limit you have to hit whilst using them to have them paid for) is 8 tests a day

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

I think that they are about 20p each.

Could be wrong though.

Premier Icon The Pinkster
    Subscriber

Do you know how much a month of test strips costs the NHS? Assuming 10 tests a day? I don’t. Unless you do, you can’t make that cost benefit analysis (even ignoring the health benefits and NHS costs saved by catching lows and highs before they happen).

I had to buy a pack in an emergency (bad planning on my part) about 18 months ago and the tub of 50 strips was £27!

Makes Libre look an absolute bargain in comparison.

fossy

My lad is finally getting a new pump, just a year late. Hopefully it’s the Minimed 670, which has near ‘closed loop capabilities’, but we are unlikely to get the CGM to make it happen.

If anything it’s got to be better than the Roche Accuchek pump he had – the new Insight. 2 pumps and 5 handsets later… such a slow machine.

whytetrash

Yep 1 year anniversary for libre use here, still loving it…. looking at omnipods soon hopefully… any users here got feedback…. tubes a no no as I hate the idea and would catch them constantly in work🙄

aphex_2k

Anyone looking to go down the 670g route, hold on.

Medtronic and Tidepool are working together and the rumour is the new pump is due around April time. It will have bluetooth and be way more user friendly. I’ve been running the 670g for nearly 6 months. When it works, it’s great…. But you spend a lot of time calibrating, entering BG. It beeps at you all the time. It screws your sleep up. They say it’s 2 weeks in manual mode, then switch to auto mode. My experience is that it’s taken this long and I’m still not amazed by it when compared to how good my levels were with my 640g. My a1c is 6.9% but the pump allows you to run high and creep up, and hyper correction is slow. I much preferred the option of multiwave and many more features in the older pump.

The CGM is never close despite a decent regime of calibrating. I’ve had one unicorn in 6 months…

Personally, I’d wait and skip the 670g as it’s felt like I’m beta testing this device.

fossy

The 670 has only just become available in our Trust, but my lad won’t get it with CGM, so manual mode. Any new pump won’t hit the UK Trusts for a long time.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Ordered my 4 sensor prescription last week, just checked with the pharmacist when it’s likely to arrive. ‘Could be another couple of weeks…’

Been to abbots website to order an emergency spare, lead time is 5-7 working days…

Premier Icon clubby
    Subscriber

Good news, supply seems to be back to normal for now. Get your scripts ordered while there’s still stock.

On a separate note. Anyone had issues with an airport body scanner causing a failure? Never flown with one before and can’t see the security staff being a problem, but read on Abbot’s site that the full body x ray scanner could potentially cause a failure.
    Current sensor runs out tonight and I fly on Wednesday. Thinking of waiting until I’m through security before applying new sensor. Taking plenty of Optium sensors just in case anyway.

DickBarton

Not had a problem myself with body scanners and libre. Did have an issue with my pump when security decided not to heed my warning about it not going near the x-ray…

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Yeah no problem here with airport scanners.

I did mean to post up when my prescription sensors arrived, they turned up last Thursday, ironically before the emergency spare I ordered. Ah well, not like I won’t use it.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Seems there is no problem with supply any more, had to get some more earlier than normal, due to having MRI scans (and allowing for potential delays) Ordered prescription on Thursday, got a text from chemist to say it was ready yesterday (Friday) and picked up this morning. Hopefully not a one off.

Premier Icon The Pinkster
    Subscriber

Yes, my local pharmacist told me that the supply issues had now been resolved and they’re now coming through within 24 hours.

Viewing 16 posts - 201 through 216 (of 216 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.