• This topic has 20 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Two water bottled on one set of bosses
  • danielgroves
    Free Member

I have an On One inbred, which only has one set of water bottle bosses. I’d like to use two water bottle cages, but don’t like the strap-on ones (they look awful and damage paintwork). So, what I am looking for is one of two things.

1) A double water bottle cage, something like this:

2) A double water bottle cage adapter, something like this:

I’ve managed to find anything on any UK or EU sites, anyone seen anything floating around?

brant
    Free Member

You want to attatch 1.5kg that swings about to 0.6mm thick steel tubing?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Why not just get a bigger bottle?

gasyz
    Free Member

Get some 5mm rivnuts off eBay and add another cage on the seat tube

zippykona

How about zip tie bottle mounts they have them in Halfords.

brant
    Free Member

I’m being slightly unhelpful above. I’m sorry.

But really. The tubing where bottle bosses are attatched is 0.6mm thick. And the way those bottle cages are mounted, the potential for tearing the bosses from the tube is high.

Rivnuts in seat tube is ideal. Though you won’t be able to drop a long seatpost down.

brant
    Free Member
    jamiep
    Free Member
    gasyz
    Free Member

I put my bosses on the under side of the main frame(due to rear suss linkage).
    The bottle gets shitty but I just swap them around when first one is empty

danielgroves
    Free Member

Cheers all, sorry for the slow response.

To be honest, it was a bit of a ‘that would be rather useful’ thought pattern, without really thinking it through. Not really like me.

I’m being slightly unhelpful above. I’m sorry.

But really. The tubing where bottle bosses are attatched is 0.6mm thick. And the way those bottle cages are mounted, the potential for tearing the bosses from the tube is high.

Rivnuts in seat tube is ideal. Though you won’t be able to drop a long seatpost down.

brant, thank you. Having someone who designs the frames tell me it’s a bad idea is pretty convincing 😀
    I might look into Rivnuts, but will probably wait until I get the frame resprayed in the next couple of months and do it at the same time.

How about zip tie bottle mounts they have them in Halfords.

this from Decathlon?

I’d already thought about these. Used to have some a long time ago, but I’ve always found them to be crap. Ruin the paintwork (not too worried right now, but getting the frame resprayed int he near future), and they always seem to move. Thanks for the suggestions though.

wiggles
    Free Member

What about something like this?

TooTall
    Free Member

I hear those ‘water-bottle-in-a-bag’ thingys are getting quite popular these days.

Yak

I’ve jubilee clipped another cage to the seat tube. Not pretty but v solid. If you are worried about the paint, put some plastic shims underneath each clip.

zippykona

I use this as my bosses are unusable. Once the bottle is off all you have is the magnetic mount on your frame.

Have helitaped the frame.

scaredypants

zippy – can you not even get a side-entry cage in there ?
    (does look tight, mind, and I’m always a bit wary of side-entry)

zippykona

You can’t fit a small bottle of volvic in there even before the shock moves.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

A handlebar mounted bottle is another option.

unovolo
    Free Member

Out of curiosity why not a Camelbak or similar rather than trying to bodge on a 2nd bottle cage?

duntstick
    Free Member
    nbt
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Two water bottled on one set of bosses’ is closed to new replies.