Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Two very mild rant’ettes
  • oldgit
    Free Member

You start work at a given time, in my book that means your ready to start work at that time and not the time you arrive at work and follow that up with turning on all computers, having a poo, reading papers and sending out for a ‘brekie’ roll.

And. After market Sat Navs, stuck slap bang in the middle of the windscreen at night. How the **** can you see everything properly with a small cinema in front of your face. I’ve worked out that it could block your vision at junctions and people at crossings.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Your place sounds like a sweeet place to work
    Do you have old copies of STW i the sh1tter too?

🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Not my place, but I waited nearly an hour after the claimed opening time this morning.

Shakey
    Free Member

Definitely agree with oldgit about Sat Nav’s. I have one in my Disco on the right hand side of the window and at night switch on the night colours!
    Otherwise its like Blackpool illuminations and like driving with the interior light on.

Always find it funny driving down the motorway at night, you can spot the Sat Nav’s a mile away.

deadlyhifi
    Free Member

i always put my sat nav to my right in the corner of the windshield. Its completely out of the way there… and night mode comes on automatically at 6pm (or whatever time I set).

thegreatape
    Free Member

bottom right for me, and the screen turns off between instructions, now the novelty’s worn off I find it a bit distracting

wwaswas

re: the having a poo in company time thing – I’ve never met a computer contractor yet who has a dump in hours they aren’t charging for. It can cause problems ove a bank holiday weekend, though.

druidh
    Free Member

My wife doesn’t even have the SatNav on the dash any more, just listens to the voices…….

aracer
    Free Member

The Sat Nav location thing is just as much a problem in daytime as at night, as it’s still blocking part of your windscreen (the part in which cyclists might otherwise be visible). I wish they’d stop and fine/point people for this rather than some other things.

GrahamS

Work: I usually toddle in about 9:30 and start checking my mail. I’m sure some folk do comment on it. But I also stay till 6 or 7 most nights when they go home at 5.

SatNav: Agreed – I go for bottom corner of the side window – so it is only obscuring the A-frame rather than window. Permanently set on night mode with the brightness turned right down, and set to turn off between instructions.

Coyote
    Free Member

Re Satnav. Do you people go to so many hard to find, unsignposted locations each day that you need a satnav. Or is it just the latest thing to be seen with?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Sorry I am late postinbg this. I arrived a couple of hours ago but just got off the bog.

What is wrong with my sat nav in the middle of the screen? If i put it somewhere else it gets in the way of my handfree phone kit I have stuck to the screen or the furry dice hanging from the wing mirrors.

Anyway, cyclists aren’t a problem, plastic bumbers and t-cut mean you can normally hide the scratches they make.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

😉

In case anyone thought that was serious

molgrips
    Free Member

Do you people go to so many hard to find, unsignposted locations each day that you need a satnav.

What, you mean like people’s houses or obscure shops etc? Yes, I do. Until they start signposting “Emma’s House” off the M42 then I shall use my satnav so I don’t have to either a) memorise a huge list of directions or b) stop periodically to read a map. Or are you suggesting reading a map whilst driving?

Maybe we should always drive with a passenger to read a map for us, whilst we drive? Or – how about this – someone should make some kind of machine that reads the map and tells you when your turning comes up without having to take your eyes off the road! Brilliant idea!

Pook

my sat nav sits bang in the middle of my windscreen, down at the bottom. Cos I’m not a short arse I can see over it. And i use it cos it saves on printing directions off for the obscure dogging sites i go to.

ski
    Free Member

My old Man’s satnav in his Volvo (don’t laugh) has it appear in the middle of the dash, like toast popping out of a toaster, problem is, you need an up to date DVD and a degree to work it!

Whenever he tries using it, the thing disappears back into the dash, then it takes him ages to work out how to get it to pop up again!

A death trap device, pointless.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

molgrip, pook – Sat Navs appear to be the new mobile phones. Initially very expensive and seen as city boys toys.

Then the middle class could suddenly afford them so they became desirable.

Then too quickly for the middle class aspirational types to gloat for long every chav in the country could have one. This meant the middle class felt cheated of their aspirational purchase and started complaining about them instead while quietly explaining that they only used their sat nav when necessary or for emergancies.

In a while people will calm down and realise that they are just a tool.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Oldgit, it strikes me from many of your posts that you would be a happier man if you stopped worrying about how much less work other people do for their money than you do yourself. 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

I roll into work at 7.30 ish – log on, check for anything urgent, if all OK I get changed, eat breakfast at my desk, knuckle down around 8.00.

I’m frequently on my own in the office until 8.45, though we open at 8.30.

I work till 4-5pm (the joys of flexitime), and leave before most of my colleagues.

My boss is quite happy with this, as he doesn’t need to rock up till 9-9.30 and then work till 6pm, which suits him fine. He knows that anything urgent will get done if required, even though it appears to the outside world I’m taking the mickey.

Works for us!

Pook

WCA – it’s handy for finding places. And mine was free.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I start work, then turn my computer on, don’t see why I should waste 15 minutes of my time waiting for the damn thing to boot up.

glenh
    Free Member

Starting time at work is just a guide, like a speed limit. I like to go with turning up a bit later, then having a poo/coffee/breakfast, then checking my mail etc. Might get down to some work a couple of hours later maybe……

RudeBoy
    Free Member

SatNav’s should be banned. Too much of a distraction. Besides, how TF did anyone cope before they were invented, FFS?? Another labour-saving device for those with couch-potato brains.

Just do a little map on a bit of paper, back of an old envelope or something. Or some instructions on a Post-It note. How **** difficult is it, really, to navigate round Britain, where there are plenty of sign-posts? Or, here’s a novel idea; why not just not drive at all, if it’s so difficult??

Useless, some people today. I’m surprised they can wipe their own arses.

SatNav; what a load of w4nk.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

pook – I agree that sat nav is useful. Mine came built into the car and I use it when going somewhere new or to find particular places. Great when trying to find your way across an unfamiliar city where signposts don;t show the destinations you are looking for.

The twunts are the ones who stick them on gthe screens to navigate to their local Tescos. I think they are the ones this thread is rantetting about. Trouble is you can’t tell if the person driving past is using it as a tool or is just a tool.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Sat navs are for brain dead ponces –

Work time – every minute of the day – obviously

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Can all you people who never need sat nav please give me detailed directions from Manchester Airport to Booth Street in Manchester without using sat nav.

Now you have landed in Manchester airport, picked up the rental car and been told the meeting has moved to Brookdale Golf Course. You do not have access to the internet. You do not have a map that shows Brookdale Golf Course.

Directions please.

antigee

Directions please

[last century]phone box and ring and ask[/last century]

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

antigee – have you every tried to follow directions given to you by someone who has just found out their meeting has been relocated to a golf course. They are strangers to the area.

Directions Please?

Um yeah, the taxi sort of headed out of town a bit and it is near a motorway, M60 or M67 possibly. Just stick it in the sat nav is your best bet

grahamh
    Free Member

Easy, you pull up to a friendly looking local, wind down the
    window and ask “Can you tell me how to get to X”.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

friendly looking local

This scenario is set in Manchester remember

antigee

WorldClassAccident – Member
    antigee – have you every tried to follow directions given to you by someone who has just found out their meeting has been relocated to a golf course. They are strangers to the area

get them to delegate to a native?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

And all of this is better/easier than paying the extra tenner and getting a sat nav to direct you?

I agree that they are largely pointless when driving in your local area. They really do help when in strange cities/countries. You can concentrate on driving rather than desperately reading all of the different road signs and pulling over to ask strangers directions.

GrahamS

I don’t really understand why people object to Sat Navs either.

It gets me where I need to go with the minimal amount of fuss – no pissing about with scribbled directions, hand drawn maps and balancing an A-to-Z on my lap while driving.

It makes me a safer driver by giving me plenty of notice when I need to get in a different lane or make a turning and it warns me when I’m going to fast (and watches out for speed cameras).

It means I know pretty accurately when I’ll arrive somewhere and I can avoid traffic jams etc en route.

antigee

And all of this is better/easier than paying the extra tenner and getting a sat nav to direct you?

of course it isn’t but its more fun than reading where abouts people locate their screens

crazy-legs

I’ve only ever used a sat nav a couple of times, borrowed one off a mate recently for a crack-of-dawn drive to the middle of nowhere in Yorkshire and it was fantastic. Dark morning, ice, snow and fog everywhere and it got me there no probs with me just concentrating on the driving rather than trying to read a map while driving down unsigned slippery country lanes in the dark.
    I had it mounted up by the rear view mirror in night mode and had full visibility out the windscreen.
    For most driving I know where I’m going and don’t need one.

willard

When I was contracting for BT, I seem to remember that toilet time accounted for about 30 minutes a day. I was on a cheap contract, so it was only five quid a day for crapping.

Satnav’s annoy me. mine sits down on the gear stick/transfer box lever place. That way I don’t have to look at it, just listen to it. When I need it that is.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oldgit, it strikes me from many of your posts that you would be a happier man if you stopped worrying about how much less work other people do for their money than you do yourself.

He is an old git remember, BD.

WCA – nicely put about the satnav.

Just do a little map on a bit of paper, back of an old envelope or something. Or some instructions on a Post-It note. How **** difficult is it, really, to navigate round Britain, where there are plenty of sign-posts?

Well, that’s what I used to do. Now I have satnav – it’s much more convenient because, as mentioned before, you don’t have to faff about with bits of paper, and you don’t have to stop to read them. I honestly don’t know why you and other have to denigrate people because they use labour saving devices. Do you wash all your clothes in a tub with a little stool with a handle on it? Do you write reports on a typewriter? Do you use a mobile or drive around looking for phone boxes? I mean come on. We CAN read maps, but we can’t do it at the same time as driving. So don’t think less of us.

Open your mind, the world’s a nicer place if you do.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Two very mild rant’ettes’ is closed to new replies.