Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Two nights free in Birmingham, what's worth seeing?
  • BlindMelon
    Free Member

Well Dudley to be exact. Doesn’t seem to be much here so what is worth seeing or visiting nearby. I have the car

Haven’t been here before.

LeeW

Two free nights in Dudley? I’d drive home…

Do you have your bike?

somouk
    Free Member

Lol, not a lot in Dudley.

There is the black country museum but that closes pretty early on in the day, much like the castle and zoo.

If I were in Dudley for the evenings I would probably head to Merry Hill shopping centre for an evening looking at some shopping and grabbing something to eat there. There’s an okay if expensive outdoor shop up the top that’s worth wasting half hour in as well.

The other evening I would probably catch a film at the Showcase at Castlegate. Again there are plenty of places to eat surrounding it as well.

If you’re limited to evenings there isn’t a lot more to do, to be honest, especially if you don’t have your bike and lights to head to Cannock for a night ride.

lunge

2 nights in Dudley?? What have you done to deserve that? There is one, and only one thing worth seeing in Dudley and that is The Black Country museum. Bar that, run away and run away quickly.

Brum however is a different game altogether. Depending on what you like, there are some awesome museums, loads of good bars and restaurants, good shopping and the bike riding isn’t bad either. Also lots of gig and sporting venues so you may be able to catch something interesting.

Where are you staying out of interest? If you’re near a station and you can get to Brum without a car then that opens up some more interesting evening options too.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Staying near the large Tesco. I have a car or I’m happy to jump on the train.

No bike with me.

aP
    Free Member

Dudley Zoo has the largest collection of Tecton buildings (if that works for you)
    Try the New Art Gallery in Walsall

lunge

The Village Hotel I guess? If so there is a cinema, a bowling alley and a few chains restaurants around there and not much else. The Tesco is 24 hours though!

Depends what you want to do bar that really. Merry Hill is the local big shopping centre which is 10 mins drive away, nothing overly exciting but it’s OK to kill an hour or 2. Or if you wanted to visit IMO the worst pub in Dudley you’re 15 mins walk from Dudley Port and the infamous Top Star (formally The Port and Ale), a truly horrific place.

I think I’d be inclined to get a taxi to either Dudley Port station (5 mins drive) or into Brum itself (20 mins maybe) and have a stroll round there. Head for Colemore Row area or around the Jewellery Quarter and there’s lots of nice pubs and bars.

the00
    Free Member

When? Ian Jelf walking tour on Sunday. Enjoyed mine last month.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Yes lunge Village. Tonight and tomorrow night. Think I’ll head into Brum for a wander

LeeW

There really isn’t a lot of evening entertainment in Dudley, there used to be an open mic comedy night at a pub in Stourbridge which was ok for a laugh – or heckle.

Merry Hill is just another shopping ctr, If you fancy a taxi ride you could go to the Beacon hotel or the Swan (Ma Pardoe’s) for some home brewed Ales – Ma Pardoe’s is about 2-3 miles away and serves pretty good food upstairs. The Beacon sells Gornal chicken cobs (Cheese and onion)

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

grab a play at the grand in Wolvo

http://www.grandtheatre.co.uk/whats-on/drama/a-tale-of-two-cities/bgGenre1

or a band at the slade rooms (WE ARE SCIENTISTS)

BOTH TOMORROW NIGHT.

grab a cocktail beforehand at Bohemia bar.

prawny

I once had a one night stand with a lovely young lady I met at a bar on the waterfront.

Probably the most interesting thing you could do in Dudley.

Haze
    somouk
    Free Member

The pie factory is worth a look for food, it gets busy though so give them a call to sort a table.

alanl
    Free Member

Go to the Crooked House pub to both eat, and have a look around.
    Crooked House

lunge

I once had a one night stand with a lovely young lady I met at a bar on the waterfront.

I did that too, I wonder if it was the same girl? In fact I had a few “liaison’s” there, one memeroable one where I met a young lady at the awesome Pa’s kebab house on Brierly Hill High Street.

Happy times.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

could have been the same girl who battered me with her handbag in the curry house down the end, we had a slight misunderstanding over who’s taxi it was…. i even pulled up a chair and sat on it so she could carry on her assault…

i think my nonchalant/your bullets cannot harm me manner wound her up even more! 😀

jamj1974

I did that too, I wonder if it was the same girl? In fact I had a few “liaison’s” there, one memeroable one where I met a young lady at the awesome Pa’s kebab house on Brierly Hill High Street.

And now I’m sitting sobbing in my living room knowing I have never truly lived…

bamboo
    Free Member

Plenty of good ale around those parts. I’d go in search of a pint or two of bathams bitter

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I’m glad I promoted fond memories of Dudley gentlemen. I’m afraid I bailed out and I’m eating shit pizza and drinking fizzy beer in a leisure park.

Might hit the Top Star however sounds like a Belfast boy will be right at home

LeeW

Give the Beacon hotel a go, I guarantee the bar window is smaller then your bathroom window at home.

but the beer is ace.

lunge

Might hit the Top Star however sounds like a Belfast boy will be right at home

You’re a brave man. Last time I went in there was with a few lads from the local rugby club. We arrived around 5pm, looked around, realised we were in the wrong place and did what was needed, ordered a pint of lager (nothing fancy or out of the ordinary, it was served in a plastic glass which says a lot), kept our heads down and stood by a table by the door. It was when one of the guys I was with, a 6’4″+ flanker, leaned over to me and suggested we stood on the raised part of the pub “to claim the higher ground for when it kicks off”. When, not if, when.

There are some good pubs in the area but Top Star is certainly not one of them. Avoid if you value your face and teeth.

Haze

If you head out to the Beacon/Sarah Hughes brewery in Sedgley there’s also the Jolly Crispin/Fownes brewery on the way through in Gornal.

Excellent beer at both, and you won’t get your head kicked in.

pondo

I’d be thinking city centre or Stourbridge – I don’t even like pubs,but I like the pubs in Stourbridge. 🙂

sc-xc

Pa’s kebab house on Brierly Hill High Street.

Parrs.

lunge

Parrs

We’re both wrong, Pars.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Good call on the Pie factory! Stuffed

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Two nights free in Birmingham, what's worth seeing?’ is closed to new replies.