• This topic has 22 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mrmo.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • two dots above an e, help!
  • headfirst
    Free Member

I need to spell Bronte with the two dots above the e for an application letter, but I don’t know how to do it on Word. I’ve tried ‘insert symbol’ but there isn’t one in there.

Please help!

Oh, and a bonus point for what they’re called.

davidjones15
    Free Member

ë
    Like this?
    Shift and the two dot key before the letter e, or cut and paste what I’ve just done.
    This.

Onzadog
    Free Member

ë?

Cougar

It’s an umlaut.

Holding Alt and typing 137 on the number pad should do it. Or, copy and paste this – ë

Onzadog
    Free Member

Is it an umlaut or is that something else?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just beaten to the punch on both points.

dharmstrong
    Free Member

Alternatively, buy a mac, press and hold e and you get 7 options of the e character set. HTH 😀

Onzadog
    Free Member

That’s how I did it from my Android phone.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Ë ë

On an iPad or IPhone you hold your finger on the key for e until the available accents and diphthongs appear.

Naranjada
    Free Member

I believe, or am told, that it’s not an umlaut in this application, it’s a dieresis.

Makes the e into a diphthong so sounds longer and more like an e than an eh. As in the pronunciation of Zoe, as opposed to toe.

CountZero

On an iPad or IPhone you hold your finger on the key for e until the available accents and diphthongs appear.

I love the fact that its so easy to do this. Always a pain trying to remember on a Mac, back with OS9, or having to look up the character set.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Èéêë??e?ûüúrekáäãå

Ive just learned something

nealglover
    Free Member

If you don’t really want the job, you could always use this version on your application

Bront?

🙂

Cougar

I believe, or am told, that it’s not an umlaut in this application, it’s a dieresis.

Oh? Interesting.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Not to be confused with a diuresis…

headfirst
    Free Member

Thanks guys, for your help you can proof-read my letter so far (its an internally advertised job): All facts within are 100% true:

Dear Mike,

I am writing to apply for the Brontë House Tutor Post, as I believe that I have the experience, character and skills necessary to undertake this role successfully. Having been busy writing UCAS references and reading students’ personal statements for some time now, I hope you will forgive me if this letter adopts a certain style… [All facts and opinions offered henceforth are true and genuine].
    Since a very young age I have been a proponent of a strong House system within schools, especially since I served as House Captain of Peng Chau House for the academic year 1981-82, in my final year at Bradbury Junior School in Hong Kong. This was the crowning glory of my exemplary primary education, and some say that this was in fact my finest achievement to date. After serving out this duty with dignity and honour I started life at Island School, where I joined Einstein House – the purple house, and indeed my time at this school can be viewed in retrospect as one long ‘purple patch’. Inevitably, when the time came, I was duly appointed House Prefect with responsibility to nurture and inspire the younger students.This gave me the opportunity for me to show my passion for, and deep fascination with the House system. I already have in my mind’s eye the kind of Head of House that I want to be: just like Mr Cabrelli, the moustachioed Italian-Scot who was the Head of Einstein (which can sound strange when taken out of context) for my time at Island School.

I fear that given I have only got as far aged 17, and I were to continue on in this manner, this could be a very long letter of application. Suffice it to say [that’s as far as I’ve got so far]

Would you give me the job??

scaredypants

bit pompous – will they go for that ?

Cougar

Reads ok apart from the last sentence, TBH. I think there’s typos in that.

Would I give you the job? Depends what I was looking for, hard to say.

headfirst
    Free Member

bit pompous – will they go for that ?

It’s meant to be tongue in cheek, the format hasn’t quite copied across right from the original which doesn’t help – sixth formers are always putting in their uni applications how they’ve been fascinated in molecular bio-chemistry since they were 2, and the such-like.

Edukator
    Free Member

Your finest achievement dates from when you were at school thirty years ago; I think you’re taking the tongue in cheek too far.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Very Marmite. Very late nineteenth century literature…

You know the people who will look at this. We don’t.

“Suffice it to say” is a totally redundant and possibly alienating expression. Not sure I have ever agreed with anything I have ever seen Edukator post before… But he’s right. Surely you’ve got to grab them in the first 200 words in a simple effective and impressive manner?

headfirst
    Free Member

Points taken and duly noted.
    The thing is, the Head appointed me to the teaching post I’ve been in for the last 5 years and also promoted me a year ago when I applied for an extra responsibility, so he knows all about me already, and it seems rather trite to go over all of that again. Speaking to the Head’s PA at the end of the school day today, only one other person that she knows of has shown interest and the deadline is tomorrow, so I should get an interview, where I can make my case my seriously. The letter after that ^^^ does get serious and being a grammar school, they love a bit of pomp round here! Anyways, I won’t be reporting back when it falls flat and I don’t get an interview. Cheers, off to do some marking now.

mrmo
    Free Member

Alternatively, buy a mac, press and hold e and you get 7 options of the e character set. HTH

thanks for that, didn’t know you could do that

aæ?ÿvéåqwerty?îøpåßdfghjk?žx?vbñm

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘two dots above an e, help!’ is closed to new replies.