Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Twitter to ban all political advertising worldwide
  • frankconway

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50243306
    Definitely an attempt to take the moral high ground after Data Zuckerberg declined to ban political advertising when interviewed by a House committee in the US last week.

slowoldman

Maybe, but read what Jack Dorsey has to say on the issue.

frankconway

I have read his series of posts; sure, he hasn’t said ‘….we’re claiming the moral high ground’ but that’s exactly what it is and it’s not only that – it’s a response to attempted malign influences.
    Big move and I welcome it.
    Will trump give us the benefit of his views sometime soon?

mrmo
    Free Member

i can see how you ban adverts, i am not so sure how you ban political figures and bots amplifying.

batfink
    Free Member

i am not so sure how you ban political figures and bots amplifying

Agreed. But I think advertisers have access to a large library of data variables, allowing for sophisticated targeting of particular demographics – I guess that’s the piece that being denied to political advertisers.

From learning a bit about what Cambridge Analytica did – it was the precisely targeted nature of the various fake news stories (and the fact that they were invisible outside of that demographic) that made them so harmful.

a good start, I think.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I’ve discussed this a few times with friends, our media won’t be improved by the pressure of the general public – the public don’t care, it will happen – if the relatively young techies in silicon valley and the incoming millennial techies take a stand. Fingers crossed for a good dice roll.

batfink
    Free Member

I think it’s just a case of advertising rules/regulations catching up with a new medium. You can’t have a blatantly false TV advert – political or otherwise.

What’s critical is that once the current band of monkeys gets dumped-out of power, whoever steps in addresses what went right/wrong in the Trump/Brexit social media campaigns, and legislate appropriately. Not saying that’s easy, or even likely, but until then we have voluntary codes of conduct like this one. Good to see pressure being put on Zukerburg at least

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Twitter to ban all political advertising worldwide’ is closed to new replies.