Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Twitter folk, nowt else to do?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

A mate of mine was on a recent TV game show, which he ended up winning, to the tune of 3k or so but missed out on 10K, he posted some stuff that people had put on Twitter about it slagging him off. One person (complete stranger) said he was a munchkin with little man syndrome!
    I know there’s some slagging on here so maybe I shouldn’t be surprised but could you be arsed to have a pop at a gameshow contestant you’d never met?

Cougar

As I said on another thread just now; some people are dicks.

chakaping
    Free Member

Twitter seems to encourage dickishness, and clever dickishness in many people.

It’s basically a big showing-off competition, for a lot of users.

*realises he’s also just described this forum*

footflaps

I still don’t get twitter at all. I can’t understand why it’s so popular outside professional journalism, where it’s sort of like an RSS feed for politicians / celebrities.

zilog6128

I can’t understand why it’s so popular outside professional journalism, where it’s sort of like an RSS feed for politicians / celebrities.

I’d guess most people who use it a lot probably feel like junior journalists/politicians/slebs in that they think they are terribly clever/insightful and the world needs/wants to hear what they have to say. These people then “follow” each other so they all think there’s hundreds or thousands hanging on their every thought, but actually it’s just a massive narcissistic circle-jerk. 😆

I was gonna point that out 🙂 This place is much better though, due to the moderation and also the more limited demographic (which has it’s own problems, of course).

njee20
    Free Member

Was it Tipping Point? Ive applied for that, looks ridiculously easy to win, with a bit of luck (not diminishing your friend’s accomplishment). Wouldn’t be looking on Twitter afterward though!

johnners
    Free Member

Saw (on Twitter) the other day “Not everyone on Twitter is a dick, but every dick is on Twitter”.

I like it, I follow people mainly for links to news and current affairs, some music and arts stuff. The “echo chamber” aspect of it is a real danger but no more so than in any other aspect of life. How many people really want to hang out with strangers they dislike or who hold views they disagree with in any part of their lives though?

lucky7500

I can’t understand why it’s so popular outside professional journalism, where it’s sort of like an RSS feed for politicians / celebrities.

I find it very handy for getting hold of the real stage times when I go to gigs, and indeed for hearing about said gigs before they sell out, but don’t really see the attraction in posting as a ‘normal’ person.

Pook

It’s good to keep up with the F1 drivers – some interesting insights into their diet/training thing. Similar with some of the riders too.

Biking wise, I use @kofthep for trail conditions in the peak district.

D0NK

actually it’s just a massive narcissistic circle-jerk.

much like all social media. I’ve been on fb for a while, only a few weeks on twitter, twitter’s worse, seems to have a lot more deeply unpleasant people writing stuff they really shouldn’t.

Cougar

Twitter seems to encourage dickishness

It’s not the fault of the media. See my earlier comment.

These people walk among us, walking around like normal people. Historically they’ve largely been keeping their dickishness to themselves, but Twitter (and Facebook, YouTube, web forums and any other website with a Comments session) has given them a voice. It’s a bit like road rage, you have an air gap between someone you’re disagreeing with and suddenly you’re a hard man. And they’re even more emboldened these days thanks to Brexit.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Thank heavens for the STW Dick Police then.

Sniffing out dicks and pulling them off if they get too hard. 😉

footflaps

much like all social media. I’ve been on fb for a while

FB seems more configurable, it’s like my News Feed for everything I’m interested in, news, people, friends and seems to hone it’s filter to get a very good hit rate (bar adverts, I rarely see anything I don’t want to*).

*I realise this is a social bubble, but I much prefer life like that, it removes the need to suppress an irrisistable urge to punch Tory Politicians / Brexiteers in the head every time I see them.

miketually
    Free Member

It’s pretty much the best professional development I’ve ever had. I follow other teachers, real world physicists, etc. and so keep up to date with stuff I need to know for work.

On a personal level, I follow a bunch of lovely people who post about doing nice things. This inspires me to do nice things and to post about those.

I was gonna point that out This place is much better though, due to the moderation and also the more limited demographic[/quote]

Twitter is self-moderated, to an extent.

Harry_the_Spider

On a personal level, I follow a bunch of lovely people who post about doing nice things. This inspires me to do nice things and to post about those.

…but you follow me. No understand.

miketually
    Free Member

Oh, I muted you ages ago 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s not the fault of the media. See my earlier comment.

Twitter’s relative anonymity certainly does encourage people to be dickish. It’s not Twitter’s “fault” that people are dicks, but there are degrees of dickishness facilitation.

mattyfez

I don’t really get twitter either, it’s lots of self affirming cliques slagging off other cliques. 140 characters at a time.

I read a few feeds but I don’t tend to get involved.

mogrim

It’s pretty much the best professional development I’ve ever had. I follow other teachers, real world physicists, etc. and so keep up to date with stuff I need to know for work.

This is pretty much my experience of it. Don’t see too many idiots on my feed, mainly because I choose not to follow idiots.

miketually
    Free Member

I don’t really get twitter either, it’s lots of self affirming cliques slagging off other cliques.

Only if you choose to follow members of self-affirming cliques who slag off members of other self-affirming cliques who you choose not to follow.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Despite all the dicks, trolls, self affirming cliques, haters, and fake news, I reckon someone could figure out a way to use twitter to help change the world for the better…

Of course, they’d still have to contend with all the dicks, trolls, self affirming cliques, haters and fake news and all the jealousy, deception and vitriol that brings to mind Satan’s arsehole but with the right mindset, all of that could be overcome for the greater good.

zilog6128

On a personal level, I follow a bunch of lovely people who post about doing nice things.

(Devil’s Advocate time), the flip side of only ever paying attention to nice people who agree with you, rather than people who challenge or even offend you, is that you tend to live with your head in the clouds somewhat and get a nasty surprise when the reality of life rears its ugly head (as evidenced on here twice recently with the Scottish indy and then Brexit votes)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Was it Tipping Point? Ive applied for that, looks ridiculously easy to win, with a bit of luck (not diminishing your friend’s accomplishment).

It was indeed! The woman who came second answered more questions correctly but It’s the luck of the tokens that win it.
    Just as well my mate’s thick skinned. (he’s ex Royal Navy & now a police Sgt who supports Newcastle so It’s not surprising!)

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah the first round particularly. Good on him.

miketually
    Free Member

the flip side of only ever paying attention to nice people who agree with you, rather than people who challenge or even offend you, is that you tend to live with your head in the clouds somewhat and get a nasty surprise when the reality of life rears its ugly head

I also live in the real world.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Twitter folk, nowt else to do?’ is closed to new replies.