Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Twins?
  • mrsflash
    Free Member

Who was it who had the premie twin girls just before Christmas?

Was just wondering how they were doing?

mamadirt
    Free Member

I think it was jcbhands (sorry if I’m wrong). I’ve been wondering too.

djglover
    Free Member

Hiya, it was me, with my old log on (Jcbhands)

They are doing great now ta, both were reunited at SCBU at the same hospital on Xmas Eve, one was in ICU and moved as the local hospital didn’t have ICU

They came home on NYE and we’ve had the pleasure of sleepless nights ever since.

They would have been due tomorrow

mrsflash
    Free Member

Lovely photo! thanks for the update and glad is all well 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

That’s great news! My wife is 16.5 weeks with non-identical twins. Any advice you can give (especially regarding buggies/prams/car seat etc) most welcome. You can email them if you like – m.danford@mixd.co.uk

djglover
    Free Member

Congrats, as you can see ours are non identical

We have the Jane Power twin pro, which has the car seats and pram integrated, its good, no ISOFIX bases yet but I believe they are coming to market this month.

Tell your wife to forget sleep:

They were feeding together, but when one has a growth spurt she feeds more often, so they get out of sync, meaning one feeds 3 hourly and one 4 hourly, each feed and change taking 40mins to an hour.

And if you can’t cook and clean yet, you will be doing it all soon!

they are ace though

avdave2

mastiles-fanylion do a search for TAMBA, twins and multiple births association. We have non identical twins a boy and a girl who are 7 now and you’ll find loads of useful info there. As for buggies go for a side by side that will fit through your door, ours was a mountain buggy which originate from New Zealand and are very good, and fits through a standard front door. They are expensive new but we were lucky enough to find a second hand one which we sold a few years later for only £10 less than we payed for it.TAMBA will be a good resource for looking for kit and I think membership gets you discount at quite a few places. One in front one behind buggies are a real backbreaker as they get heavier and your trying to lift the front wheels over kerbs etc.

cousinzeke

Mastiles – congratulations, we have non-identical twin boys who are almost 3 now. Pushchair wise we had a nipper 360, which is one of the cheaper (but still over £250 when we got ours) twin suitable pushchairs you can get. We found anything to reduce the burden was worth it – like if you don’t have a car with 5 doors, swap your 3 door one now, you will do your back in quikly lifting babies in and out the back otherwise. Kiddicare (I think dot com) often have reductions for buying more than one of an item, which may be worth it when looking at things like car seats and cots.

For the first couple of months you really don’t get much sleep, but its worth it.

(And if you look on tamba you should be able to find the details for the local twins group as well, as local support may be useful).

wwaswas

"each feed and change taking 40mins to an hour"

you need thicker nappies. nappies’ll last the night if you use cotton ones and double them up.

you’re lucky she’s chest feeding – wait ’til they go on bottles after a few months – you have to get up then…

I could tell they were non identical – one has a red sleep suit and one white 😉

djglover
    Free Member

Mastiles – congratulations

Doesn’t he have an Audi TT?

Where’s my congrats by the way 😥

cousinzeke

sorry Dj, congratulations on your two as well – ours thankfully never went to SCBU.

djglover
    Free Member

wwaswas, they are on bottles, the seperate hospitals has scuppered breastfeeding taking off.

Do they do extra thick nappies for prem babies? I doubt it, and we aren’t about to start using washable ones, that would mean 16 a day to wash, or 32 if we use your idea!

theotherjonv

DJG and family; congrats.

Mastiles_Fanylion; Congrats too!

iirc on the old forum you were the one who had had the probs with the health authority covering treatments, etc. Also iirc, you’d leaked that maybe you’d been successful and we joked that it was bound to be a multiple. :Oops:

Good on you all, hope it’s going well and continues in that way.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Doesn’t he have an Audi TT?

That is me – but my wife has a practical 5dr (which we bought with babies in mind). 🙂

Anyway – congratulations! They look gorgeous.

And thanks for the other advice 🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Yay! Bit of nice, happy news!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Theotherjohn – yes that is us – we managed to get the money together to pay for a cycle privately and fortunately for us it worked at the first attempt. Perhaps it was the collective will of the STW massiv that ensured we had twins.

theotherjonv

i was hoping you’d have triplets, just to work you right over……

It’s a b@stard isn’t it. You could have done with saving that money to counter the massive outgoings that 2 small people seem to manage to rack up routinely 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well yes we could have used that money and we did use quite a chunk that we had put aside for any kids that came along, but still we aren’t complaining in the slightest. (Although that may change in June 😉 )

wwaswas

they do do really small washables.

we only used them on one child at a time but they seemed alright and the washing machine coped…

Bunnyhop

Oh so 🙂 cute.
    I too was wondering how they were getting on.
    Good news that they are safely home. 🙂

theotherjonv

we aren’t complaining in the slightest

i didn’t think you would be.

Although that may change in June

No comment. But when you’ve worked hard to get something, you can always fall back when times are difficult and remember how much you wanted it to be like that – and that’s a great coping mechanism.

geoffj

Congrats DJ. You don’t need to change a wet nappy every feed. You should be managing at least every other feed. And bottles are so much more hard work than breast – I take it you’ve tried getting them on the breast? Tis doable even after a bottle start.

miketually
    Free Member

Brilliant news that they’re both home 😀

In five years time you’ll look twenty years older. At least that’s what’s happened to me through having two kids.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Absolutely – I know exactly what you are saying. I know there will be times that we are really at the end of our tethers and suffering with lack of sleep etc, but we struggled to get where we are and both have our eyes fully open to the potential difficulties coping with twin terror. Besides my sister in law is so excited about being able to look after babies (her two are 11 and 10 yrs now) that we should be able to palm them off easily when we need a break. 🙂

djglover
    Free Member

join tamba well before the birth and meet a lot of parents, then you can cherry pick the best advice and get a network of twin parents ready for afterwards.

wwaswas

One day you’ll look back at this time and realise how uncomplicated it all was.

Their need for you doesn’t seem to reduce in time it just seems to involve more cash, car journeys and phone calls to meet them.

wwaswas

congratulations by the way, takes me right back 🙂

I broke my hip riding when my daughter was 3 months old so go careful out there…

miketually
    Free Member

I know there will be times that we are really at the end of our tethers and suffering with lack of sleep

You get that with one baby too. In fact, you get that when your two kids are 3 and 5. Eventually you don’t notice. The best nights sleep I’ve had recently have been at Hit The North last year and at SSUK in 2006 and 2007 – I missed most of the late night stuff because I’d gone to bed!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Fantastic news . . . they’re gorgeous 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I don’t doubt that one would be tough too. I am hoping (with futility) that two means they will entertain each other and reduce their need of us in the long run.

miketually
    Free Member

I am hoping (with futility) that two means they will entertain each other and reduce their need of us in the long run.

That could work. Ours play really well together at times, which means that we can actually get other stuff done. When there’s a problem it’s usually because the younger one doesn’t really understand what the older one wants to do, so you probably won’t get that with twins.

djglover
    Free Member

on the flipside, there will be a lot of fighting and biting over toys, or so I hear from other twin parents

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

They will be my kids – I can bite them and fight them for their toys if I want.

😉

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Twins?’ is closed to new replies.