Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Tweedlove no longer a free festival
  • bobbyspangles

Shame to now have to pay for the historically free festival.
    It’ll be interesting to see what’s changed to shift the focus
    Ill go this year but may rethink visiting next year.
    The cost element seems to have just popped up, they’ve been advertising the event for months now with no mention of a ticket price.
    I appreciate times are tight but we shall see

benpinnick

Ultimately I think they would struggle to expand beyond what they had without the revenue stream, and there’s more and more competition. Its only £10 for the 3 days, U16s are free, and racers get a free pass too, so while it will have an impact on numbers for sure, I guess they feel the improvements it could fuel will be worth the offset.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Imagine having to pay?, between this and crc not doing free returns, this country is going to shit!

😔😂

tomhoward

may rethink visiting next year.

Over a tenner? Is it the money, or is it just because you are being asked to pay ‘something’?

Tracey

We will be going up again, our daughter will be competing. Paying to have what has always been a great weekend should be well worth it. The fact that they haven’t charged people in the past was a bonus.

Merak

Really? How much was your bike. Your moaning about paying a tenner for something you enjoy attending?

bobbyspangles

Yup moaning, I run a trip up there so I’ll need to buy 12 tickets. The festival organisers did not mention a change to charging for entry so I’ve based my costs on the previous 6yrs we’ve been there.

bruneep

oh dear

just pass on the costs explain the change by the organisers, are you doing the trip for free?

<edit> https://chaseskills.co.uk/tweedlove/

no you’re not doing it for free

kimbers

Tbf, was thinking of travelling up with the family, I know my wife will scowl at having to pay a tenner to wander round some stalls selling bike parts.

It seems a bit odd unless there are other events on there, even then with 4 young kids it’s not like we can stay up all night in a dance tent !

At least the kids are free

matt_outandabout

So bobbyspangles is upset that someone else gets to make money from his prior making trip? Yes it’s a change, but as a fellow businessman you should understand.

Quick call or email to your customers to say you didn’t know the changes, sorry it’s now +£10 if your not racing.

AlasdairMc

no you’re not doing it for free

Ouch. Business who took advantage of profiting from something put on for free now unhappy that business makes less profit from an event that people previously put on for free…

DickBarton

That national cycling Park and further ghetto-creation can’t fund itself…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You would probably pay a tenner for parking in many cities for a day, sounds cheap

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What Mike says.

martinhutch

It does indeed sound reasonable. How much is festival entry at ‘Ardrock?

poah
    Free Member

it is bloody expensive given that all you get is access to the stalls. If you have paid for any ticketed events then you don’t pay the £10 though.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Did they not announce this back in October, they certainly announced the change of format back then if not the pricing details. Either way, might have been safe to assume a change of format meant things might be a bit different to the 2017 event that you are advertising a trio to on your own site.

Drac

Yup it’s quite clear for this year it’s £10 entry for 3 days, seems to be loads going on shame I’m working.

I suggest you use the current info not the one from 2 years ago. Maybe swallow the cost this year.

moonsaballoon

Scottish outdoor pursuits show is 12 quid plus the bank loan if you choose to park at the secc. Going on previous years you will get a couple of hours out of it at most .
    £10 for 3 days at tweedlove is a bargain .

bobbyspangles

I’ve been in conversation with the organisers before the date was announced this year, my costs are not based on previous experience. Nothing was mentioned about the introduction of a charge. I don’t mind the price, it’s low cost compared to many. It’s the change
    in pricing months into the planning that’s a surpris, could have been mentioned in the conversations I’ve had with organisers.
    Taking advantage? Hahaha, righto.
    I will be swallowing the cost, rather that than go to the folks booked on begging bowl in hand

dc1988

Having competed a couple of years back I didn’t feel like the event warranted a £10 entry fee, the riding was great but there were just a few stalls on the green. Are locals going to turn up if they’re charged a tenner?

balfa
    Free Member

I’ve been in conversation with the organisers before the date was announced this year, my costs are not based on previous experience. Nothing was mentioned about the introduction of a charge. I don’t mind the price, it’s low cost compared to many. It’s the change
    in pricing months into the planning that’s a surpris, could have been mentioned in the conversations I’ve had with organisers.
    Taking advantage? Hahaha, righto.
    I will be swallowing the cost, rather that than go to the folks booked on begging bowl in hand

I don’t think anything has changed. I thought it was always clear that entry was to be charged from the moment they announced this years events. It has always said you’d get free entry into the festival if you did an event. I think you’ve just not noticed till now!

kimbers

mikewsmith

Subscriber
    You would probably pay a tenner for parking in many cities for a day, sounds cheap

I assume you still have to pay to park in the town on top of that tho?

A tenner isnt too bad, as long as its motre than just a few bike shops offloading their unwanted stock & the odd trade display

one of teh great things about t was finishing the races to a bunch of cheering locals (mostly kids who still get in for free anyway, tbf)

poah
    Free Member

I assume you still have to pay to park in the town on top of that tho?

or park 5 mins walk out of town for free

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Sorry, I’m confused. Are we saying that the OP runs commercial trips that take advantage of what tweedlove has to offer, and he’s pissed because tweedlove are charging?

Is that right?

Shirley Knott.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

If you’ve been in conversations with the organiser, surely you’ve got a direct line to them to raise your concerns directly, rather than moaning on a public forum.

matt_outandabout

It’s the change

Fair enough if you feel this is a surprise then.

But, £10 for three days is a bargain still.

andyrm
    Free Member

Maybe (I’m taking a punt here but not an unrealistic one I don’t think) the fixed costs of putting it on aren’t met by a sponsor any more, or sponsorship revenues have been harder to find (I do know they had this issue in the past), so something has to meet those fixed costs.

As others have said, £10 seems cheap enough to not be a barrier to entry, but probably enough to cover the revenue gap. Can’t see anyone running an MTB festival to get rich…..

Tracey

Abigales entry went in on the 3rd December and we were aware then that we would have to pay the entry fee for us
    I thought it was at Innerleithen this year and not on the green at Peebles

You do seem to get alot for £10 over three days

What to expect:

Mega Bike Demo
    Bike expo
    Bike uplifts and shuttles
    Camping on-site
    Awesome festival village
    Transcend Bar and craft beers
    Street food village
    DJs & live music
    ‘Bike-park’ location
    Access to Innerleithen, Glentress, the Golfie and miles of gravel roads
    Easy access to some of the country’s best trails
    Tons of top tracks to ride for non-racers
    Family events
    Pumtrack racing
    Tech support
    On site parking
    The Transcend Festival Plan: Ride fantastic trails with your mates, grab some great grub and beer, check out the bike bling, demo an awesome bike, enjoy top tunes and live music, get stoked to do it again the next day. Repeat.

Drac

Yup that’s quite an itinerary for £225.

Tracey

£230, which is more than any of the EWS rounds, and she gets

Entry to the Transcend Epic includes
    Race entry
    Two day, multiple stage event
    Uplift & shuttles
    Packed lunch and energy products both days
    Medic cover
    Two days of dedicated shuttles and uplift (more than double your ascent)
    Tech and mechanical support
    Post ride Beer Voucher both days
    Return to Transcend Festival HQ at night
    SI Entries timing
    Parking and camping space (bring your own tent)
    Entry to festival village
    All entertainment/expo facilities

We get to hang about, ride, cook, spanner, meet up with old friends, try not to buy anything all for just over £3 a day.

Coming from South Yorkshire even I cant argue on value for money.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Coming from South Yorkshire even I cant argue on value for money.

Lol! 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Medic cover

That is the bit I’m hoping is good…. 2 day uplifted enduro is going to be a test 🙂

geex
    Free Member

I don’t understand. Pay for what?
    riding in the tweed valley hills?
    don’t think so.

Racing? Not interested personally but of course it’s not going to be free.
    Paying to park and enter a trade show sort of thing? Can’t say that interests me either.
    Shopping is a chore.

Drac

£230, which is more than any of the EWS rounds, and she gets

I was talking about the OPs planned trip. However yes that is an even better deal.

Shame I’m working seems I could have caught up with some old faces.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I don’t understand. Pay for what?

What’s listed several posts above.

Mega Bike Demo
    Bike expo
    Bike uplifts and shuttles
    Camping on-site
    Awesome festival village
    Transcend Bar and craft beers
    Street food village
    DJs & live music
    ‘Bike-park’ location
    Family events
    Pumtrack racing
    Tech support
    On site parking

athgray
    Free Member

As a local, previous years village on Tweed Green would not be worth £10. Some items on the list go a decent way to being worth £10 if there for 3 days. Bike uplift and shuttles and car parking. Previously in Peebles people would be paying for parking around town.

However is it really a selling point to say that paying £10 will then allow me access to spend money on a new bike, or £10 entry will allow me to buy food from a stall, or £10 will permit me to buy craft beer in a tent.

My worry is not with £10 entry if travelling a distance and staying it is great value, but rather the move of venue to a quieter town and an attempt it seems to keep tourists and revenue streams more contained to the festival venue. I think less local involvement and participation is likely.

I always liked the bustle and business that came to Peebles to use the shops, cafes and pubs. I can see Peebles being quieter this year while a mini music festival occurs 5 miles away at the trailhead at Innerleithen.

vincienup
    Free Member

Three days worth of uplifts, shuttles and parking for a tenner is expensive?

🤯

tpbiker
    Free Member

Do you get uplift if not racing for 3 quid a day? Bargain if so but surely not…

mashr

Yeah I feel there might be a top-up involved when you’re actually there.

Also, these are taking the piss somewhat as part of the justification.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Tweedlove no longer a free festival’ is closed to new replies.