Tweedlove International course – any tips?!

Home Forum Bike Forum Tweedlove International course – any tips?!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Tweedlove International course – any tips?!
  • It’s not radically different to past tweedlove enduros.

The highlight will probably be S4 unless it tips it down (it’s not long recovered from the EWS 2years ago) or S2. That ‘Long Black’ stage 3 is going to be a lot of pedalling!

ehrob

Relatively straightforward course tech-wise considering what they could have used. Nothing really scary, but as usual plenty of stuff that’s hard to ride cleanly at speed. Should be fun! Not racing this year, good luck to everyone that is.

Stage 1 is Flat White, nice and flowy. Short too so no holding back needed.
    Stage 2 is a bit tech, particularly in the middle section after the fire road when you’ll be knackered.
    Stage 3 will be really physical. There’s a new section of trail in there I’ve not ridden or seen, could be interesting. Long stage.
    Stage 4 is a bit tech, but some work has been done on that trail and was running really nicely last week. Slippy when wet.
    Stage 5 looks to be Zoom or Bust followed by a sharp climb, then one of the fort trails after a long traverse.

Been a lot of rain in Edinburgh today, more due tomorrow, but been quite dry lately. It’ll be muddy once a few hundred riders have been down the trails. I’d be leaving the DHF on for practice but packing the Shorty and calling it as late as I could.

Have fun!

hughjayteens

Heading back up to (hopefully) sunny Peebles this weekend for my second stab at the Tweedlove International. I was a little disappointed to see that the racing was just on one day this years as I liked the two day format, but at least it means I should get chance to practice all of the stages at least once as I rode several blind last year.

It looks like there’s less at Inners which is a shame as I loved some of those stages, but there’s two at The Golfie which was great fun and super techy.

Any locals offer any insider knowledge? And the million dollar questions, what tyres!?? I swapped my Shorty for a DHF last week as it’s been very dry, but the forecast isn’t great so am wondering if I was a bit hasty!

Course Map here

hughjayteens

Thanks ehrob. Sounds like it should be a fun weekend!

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Subscriber

I’ve given up the idea of practising now, as it generally means taking a day off, I’ll still never beat the local guys, and I can never remember lines on multiple stages anyway.

Rode the recent Dunkeld enduro blind, I’d never even ridden there, and loved it.*

*Until I flatted right at the start of stage 2! ๐Ÿ˜†

Premier Icon chrispo
    Subscriber

Stage 2 looks like what we did at EWS last year, if so it’s lumpy as hell and brutal on the upper body unless you’re a lot smoother than me.

Looks like some nice physical stages. Could be rather slippery when wet.

I’m bringing the Michelin Wild Mud ๐Ÿ™‚

jamesg55

looks like it could be a tad wet. hopefully it’ll blow through quicker that forecast says

Premier Icon dmorts
    Subscriber

I swapped my Shorty for a DHF last week as it’s been very dry

So this monsoon is all your fault! Although I went to a High Roller so may have to take some of the blame. Shorty will be back on this weekend I think, I’m not racing though.

legend

Odd race, thought the International was supposed to be a bigger race? That just looks like a course they’d use for the King/Queen or Open?

fergal

What happened to the EWS, was it something to do with the trails not being world class, or something else?

Premier Icon Sir HC
    Subscriber

fergal – Member
    What happened to the EWS, was it something to do with the trails not being world class, or something else?

Plenty of world class trails there of good length!

Subscriber

Was it a bit of dummy spitting after the last EWS round in TV, lots of complaining about a mahoosive long pedally stage, then pretty much event destroyed by gales?

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

gutted wont be up there this year

that said im still not able to ride at 100% after hurting my hand at WGES champs 3 weeks ago

legend

Or was Chris looking for an excuse to leave for richer shores? As a local he was in position to ensure that race was a success more than any of the other rounds

Premier Icon chrispo
    Subscriber

Oops, when I said EWS last year, I meant BES last year. Which featured zero in-stage pedalling. Which is why I was almost last. I have high hopes for some pedalling in there this time.

ehrob

Chris Ball doesn’t run EWS races, it’s down to a local event organiser. Tweedlove in the case of the Tweed Valley EWS.

I honestly don’t know but I suspect putting on an EWS race is a massive hassle, expense and risk compared to a national level Enduro.

Or there could be something else. Who knows.

Premier Icon vmgscot
    Subscriber

Judging by this years EWS events, it wasn’t moved for the weather!

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

Stage 4 will be akin to the controversial woods section from FW at the weekend if this rain doesn’t stop, which it won’t ๐Ÿ˜†

It was an absolute quagmire in the 2015 EWS, and I’m guessing the completely new section they’ve been building is after Plan B and they’re going down the new section rather than Fairy Liquid?

Other than that it looks fairly tame. Golfie stuff will stand up well in the wet as will the rest of the GT stages though Dave’s Trail will be like ice in the wet!

I accidentally booked a trip to London this weekend before realising it was Tweedlove so no race for me this year. Looking out the window at the rain I’m not that upset now.

Premier Icon H1ghland3r
    Subscriber

Yep I remember what is now Stage4 from the EWS, it was a nightmare. Took longer to de-clag the bike at the bottom than it took to ‘ride’ the stage.! I’m pretty sure it hadn’t been raining as much as it will have been come Saturday back in ’15 either…

Premier Icon bigjim
    Subscriber

I’d imagine EWS is run as a business rather than a charidee and potential race organisers would have to make bids, and I can’t imagine it’s very easy to make any money in UK enduro racing or offer much to EWS.

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

Here’s stage 1

Most of 2 apart from the bottom sections

Premier Icon ChrisL
    Subscriber

Was stage 4 from the last EWS the one that went down B Side? That trail has seen quite a lot of work since then and should hold up in the wet better than it did in the EWS.

Not sure if we’re supposed to really talk about the details of the new trail we’ve been building but it has been given its name – Mild Peril.

Premier Icon steveh
    Subscriber

I’d be fairly sure the reason it’s not an EWS any more may well be financial – it costs a lot of money to host an EWS.

I’m due to be racing but broken arms a while back still aren’t well enough to do it. Stage 4 when it was ran the first time was my favourite ever bit of a race. Keep the wheels rolling and truck on down.

I’m a bit disappointed with the course this year… This is the biggest Enduro is Scotland, so the stages should match that with regards to technicality and how tough they are. What they’ve come out with is a bit underwhelming, especially compared to the SES. There’s making the stages physically tough and then there’s an XC stage that isn’t fun or rewarding… Stage 3 is the later IMO. They could have quite easily put some longer, better stages together.

Stage 1: I personally don’t think Flat White is a very good race stage because there’s no real place to start or lose time. Either way, it could easily have started on Old School DH and finish after Final Fling, making a much better stage.

Stage 2: Pretty much the perfect race stage as far as I’n concerned. It’s physically tough, but through a full-on trail, rather than needless climbs.

Stage 3: The trail centre isn’t fun or rewarding, as the berms haven’t got enough support to carry your speed and the surface/lack of gradient also makes you lose it. There’s putting a climb in and then there’s constant pedalling with 3 decent climbs, for a minute of proper trail near the end (and more pedalling after). A much better stage would have been Boundary Trail > Hush Hush > fire road sprint to the new one.

Stage 4: Great trail to race but could have easily added near enough a minute to it by going straight into Fairy Liquid.

Stage 5: Not very exciting, but necessary and it’s a decent fitness test without being an XC race.

Just my opinion…

Oh, and on tyres it will be a Shorty on the front job for sure. I’ve got a 2.5 Wide Trail Shorty, which is amazing and not too bad on the boring trail centre too. The only time I changed to a 2.4 Minion DHR2 was Vallelujah.

doubledunter

Plan B is pretty much down to hardrock now, no way will it ever be as bad as 2015 EWS, that was just as waste of time that day :/ …still be tricky in the wet though I’d imagine

I agree with getonyourbike. Not sure what they are trying to achieve but marketing it as an ‘international’ enduro (the hardest they put on, a step up from Vallelujah/KaQotH) with those stages is odd.

Plan B and B-side are very different… #planB is the last section of stage 2 at Golfie, while B-side is off the mast at Glentress.

And the new trail (Mild Peril) they’ve been building at Glentress drops into the end of Deliverance from just off the black trail.

Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

Are you allowed to spectate anywhere on the stages?
    We’ll be in Inners this weekend and wouldn’t mind watching some of the action.

Premier Icon chrispo
    Subscriber

Pete, all this talk of xc is making me hard. And I remember you at Neil’s xc races, no use denying ๐Ÿ˜‰

Take your point, but for me BES last year was too much gravity and not enough pedalling. Horses for courses innit. See you there, coming up with Ben and Ceri…

Subscriber

Are you allowed to spectate anywhere on the stages?

No probs, it’s Scotland mate, ye can go where ye want. :mrgreen:

Yes, I can do XC, but it doesn’t mean that it’s the right thing for an Enduro race!

I put together the course for the BES. Proper Enduro! Waterworld and Repeat Offender were physical but physical isn’t synonymous with pedalling…

Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

No probs, it’s Scotland mate, ye can go where ye want

Cheers.
    What I meant more was will it cause a problem trying to ride to some of the stages to watch?

Premier Icon chrispo
    Subscriber

Waterworld and Repeat Offender were physical but physical isn’t synonymous with pedalling

That’s the problem for me (among many others). I can pedal but that first stage killed my entire body straight off!! So stage 2 this weekend is a different track off the moor then?

But don’t get me wrong, Pete, BES was brilliant, best tracks I’ve ridden anywhere by far, challenging but fun, I just need a bit of pedalling to give me a chance of mid table mediocrity ๐Ÿ™‚

jamesg55

I was going to buy a shorty last week but thought I’d save the money and use my dhf. Kind of wishing I’d ordered one now.

markcurry

Me too, I was trying to save some money so I can allot it to another device but I guess I just doubled the cost by not ordering one. ;-(

hughjayteens

Thanks for all the input. Will chuck the shorty in the car and see how the Minion works on Friday.

Premier Icon chrispo
    Subscriber

What’s the midge cream of choice in the Tweed Valley?

doubledunter

I was going to buy a shorty last week but thought I’d save the money and use my dhf. Kind of wishing I’d ordered one now.

Nip into I-cycles in Innerleithen, pretty sure he would have one if you need it..

What’s the midge cream of choice in the Tweed Valley?

Never been bothered with midgies in the Tweed Valley

Premier Icon kjrogers
    Subscriber

markcurry PM’d you re: a maxxis shorty

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.