Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 195 total)
  • Tweedlove Enduro
  • Northwind

I’m taking my skis for the start of stage 4 😉

fasthaggis

It’s that steep huh ? 🙂

youngrob

It’s nowhere near as steep as some of the Caberston/Innerleithen trails: boner, 3g prospacker etc. I struggle with those but stage 4 is manageable. It will be harder if it rains and you’re at the back of the field. I’ll be waiting at the registration desk at 830 on Saturday

flyingmonkeycorps

I’m pretty sure I can ride down steep stuff better than I can ski. But then again I can’t ski 😉

I’m actually interested to see how bad it really is. Sometimes reading descriptions is the worst thing, ‘cos you build up this mental idea, then it turns out to be completely different. Can’t believe no one has taken photos!

Northwind

I think it’s not what people were expecting so it’s getting a strong reaction. A mate I was with basically refused at every section at the start of 4 and pushed a load of it, but the truth is he’s ridden harder things without fuss, it’s all in the mind. If you let it freak you out it’s hard but I rode it all without much incident and I’m no riding god.

(ok, I crashed on an easy flat bit, but we don’t talk about that)

I’m going to try to get down on thursday, will take the gopro if I do but it’s quite dark in there.

flyingmonkeycorps

I shall have a look Thursday night (if I can!) cheers 🙂

bigjim

(ok, I crashed on an easy flat bit, but we don’t talk about that)

I crashed on the flat bit of ho chi minh last weekend 😳

youngrob

TBH, I find the flat straight sections of stage 5 harder than the steep bit of stage 4, if you get in one of those ruts and wobble a wee bit you’ll be off.

I think the course is brilliant, there is a huge difference between stage 1 and stage 5 but that’s what an enduro race is about, testing different skills.

yacoby
    Free Member

Sounds ideal for my “hang on and close eyes” technique 😀 . More seriously really looking forward to this now (Secure in the knowledge that I am the slowest of the group of people that I am going with)

flyingmonkeycorps

My aim as usual is to finish. Ideally not last, but I’m not too fussed about that…

Simon

I’m going to try to get down on thursday, will take the gopro if I do but it’s quite dark in there.

Please do,I want to know what I’m letting myself in for!

Northwind

youngrob – Member

I think the course is brilliant, there is a huge difference between stage 1 and stage 5 but that’s what an enduro race is about, testing different skills

Bang on. See how it goes on the day but from that point of view it feels like the best allround enduro route I’ve done. If I tree myself or my legs fall off from the pedalling I will of course declare it to be ****.

shieldsmtb
    Free Member

I agree with previous guys comment , I found stage 5 harder because o the boggy ruts , stage 4 probably as steep as prospacker etc , but more off camber than strait down

Duane…
    Free Member

Potentially stupid question, is practice limited to those who are racing?

bigjim

It says you are supposed to practice with your numberboard on the bike but its unmarshalled so you aren’t going to get lynched or anything. I think because they are public mixed use trails they don’t want people hooning into members of the public.

yacoby
    Free Member

It is unmarshalled apart from the race day (According to the docs thing they sent me). So it should be fine.

br
    Free Member

Potentially stupid question, is practice limited to those who are racing?

That’d be a bit difficult really, as its Scotland and we’ve ‘right to roam’.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam

Northwind

Oh, Nobeerinthefridge, fyi- “Riders can not accept support (e.g. spares, repairs) from a non-racer.”

Duane- it’s possibly a bit cheeky. Hels’d be able to tell you for sure, personally I reckon if the answer is “We’d rather you didn’t” then that’s as important as “Can I”. Not sure if it’d count as responsible access…

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

That’d be a bit difficult really, as its Scotland and we’ve ‘right to roam’.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam

I’m not entirely sure the point of the right to roam law is to allow people to gatecrash events they are not taking part in.

bigjim

I think the ‘honourable’ gentlemanly thing would be to leave it to racers to practice on Saturday and try the trail yourself another time. There are going to be a lot of people waiting to get down it as it is.

shieldsmtb
    Free Member

Bollocks go ride it mate , that’s what its there for , best to go early before it gets wrecked

bigjim

or that ^

mactheknife

Duane, what day are you looking to head down. If its Sunday forget it as its race day. Any other day wont be a problem. Enjoy 🙂

br
    Free Member

I’m not entirely sure the point of the right to roam law is to allow people to gatecrash events they are not taking part in.

I was answering the question about ‘practising’…

shieldsmtb
    Free Member

The event isn’t till sunday , practise .? Is it not just going out on your bike and enjoying it !

scoobmw
    Free Member

Gave some of this a go tonight and does anyone want a free ticket for Stage 4. Off to read rules on whether you’re ok to carry hillwalking boots in your rucksack and change for the run down the hill. Jeez 🙂
    Not that it stopped me mate who went thundering past like a Subaru doing a 90s rally stage, as I stood there wondering how I was gonna slide down the next random arrangement of nasty stuff.

Diane
    Free Member

😀 Had a nice walk down there Tuesday. You are right – hillwalking boots required. That stage will certainly be interesting as if you falter, getting back on won’t be easy and ‘walking’ / ‘running’ will be very difficult too!

Simon

This thread is useless without pictures! Video would be even better.

How does stage 4 compare to this at Ae the other year?
    [video]https://vimeo.com/m/23684494[/video]

mactheknife

Had a run down 1, 2 and 3 yesterday. Will save 4 and 5 till saturday.

3 is an absolute beast. The final route had just been placed through the trees and it caught me out a few times. Wear some glasses cos there was plenty of mus flying in my face when i hit the clearer sections. 🙂

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

plenty of mus flying in my face

– I hope that’s not a Scottish euphemism 🙂

I wish this thread had never been started. I don’t want to know how scary S4 is. I wish they’d not released the route details until today. Then there would be a level-ish playing field for all those travelling up (or down) to practice tomorrow and Saturday before ‘race’ day…

…and no one would know how scary S4 is until tomorrow 🙂

bigjim

Can everyone please stop talking about stage 4. I’m pretty sure I am having nightmares about it already.

flyingmonkeycorps

I definitely am! The hail that just battered my windows isn’t helping, hope it’s a bit nicer up north.

Simon

Tweedlove have posted on Facebook that trail saboteurs have been at work in Cademuir placing logs and boulders on the trail and they’ve taken a jump down, so be careful out there.

Northwind

Nipped down for a wee ride today, ran out of time to do all of stage 5 but got a gopro vid of 4 chuntering away now, should get it uploaded shortly.

It’s mostly got grippier as it’s dried, though it’s also got more exposed roots and some of the cambers have got a bit trickier as they’ve worn. The techier section of stage 5 above the fire-road is much easier to read now.

So in a fit of reckless confidence I’ve just fitted a nobby nic- pedalling the 2 butchers along the boundary trail was not my idea of fun. I reserve the right to regret this decision.

Simon

Look forward to seeing the video 🙂
    Weather forecast looks good, fingers crossed it’ll only get drier.
    I don’t often swap tyres so I’ll be sticking with a Butcher up front and Purgatory rear.

Northwind

Right, still uploading and I’m off to bed, you should be able to find it here or thereabouts… Nice and slow to get a good look 😉 I chucked on a couple of notes as I watched it, as much for myself as anything else but it might be useful.

https://vimeo.com/user2842550/videos

Clover

You are a star! I’d started to build it up as impossible in my mind. But it looks doable. Well, at least try-able.

Apart from the tape. I have a strange and unhealthy attraction to tape. So if anyone finds a limply struggling figure trussed in tape and incapable of escaping (think mountain biking fly caught in the web between the trees), please release me. Or at least don’t laugh.

Simon

Nice one Northwind, had a quick watch over breakfast, looks tricky in places! Really hope it stays dry….

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Nice one @Northwind

Firstly, great vid. Secondly, nicely ridden and documented. Finally, I’m still not sure I wanted to know what S4 was like 🙂

During that vid my eyes were drawn several times to the solid objects that are known as trees. Must avoid!!

It looks tricky. Steep. Tight. Exposed in places. Due care and attention, clever braking and a relaxed approach should see me down safely 🙂

I’ll be setting off in less than an hour so hope to have a pootle around Cademuir later this afternoon.

chris1h
    Free Member

Thanks for posting the vid. I had a walk up the top section of stage 4 on wed night. Looks like it’s dried up a fair bit and with dry weather over the weekend it should be running pretty sweet.

Hope you don’t mind but I’ve shared it on the TrailScotland forum too…

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 195 total)

The topic ‘Tweedlove Enduro’ is closed to new replies.