Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Twatted by a golf ball on a footpath…
  • user-removed
    Free Member

I was walking the dog at the time, before I get any cheeky trails comments! The ball came over the hedge and hit me square in the small of the back. Made me gasp – was as if a large man had thrown a boulder from very close by.

After I’d worked out what had happened and put my fists away, it struck me that maybe I should mention something to the owners. I didn’t, but am now wondering if perhaps they should think about a net fence, given that there’s a hole right next to a public footpath.

Obviously accidents happen and I’m not about to sue them, but there’s no way that’s the first time this has happened, surely?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I had one bounce right in front of my car on Friday. Couple of seconds later and it would have smashed my windscreen for sure.

user-removed
    Free Member

Were you driving on a footpath?

😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Might be a bit late, but golfers often carry insurance for this. So, y’know, are you sure you haven’t bruised a rib or anything? 🙂

And, yes, I’d have a chat with the club where you could iron out any problems with this particular hole.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

dp

user-removed
    Free Member

Haha! This was a week ago and I still have a round bruise. Didn’t realise they have insurance – guess it makes sense. Had one ping off my bike frame on a path by the river in Aberdeen year’s ago and a couple of near misses from the same course. It was my local loop though, so I wasn’t changing it for any reason.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sounds like there’s a potential claim tee’d up very nicely for you there. And watch out like an eagle the next time you’re passing.

user-removed
    Free Member

There’s no way I’m getting into a bad pun fight at this time! I wood have to be a mentalist.

Northwind

MoseyMTB – Member

I had one bounce right in front of my car on Friday. Couple of seconds later and it would have smashed my windscreen for sure.

Nah, it’d almost certainly have bounced off, windscreens are tough. They hit hard enough to dent bodywork though.

Pigface
    Free Member

It’s the thin end of the wedge.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

I wood putter claim in…

RichPenny
    Free Member

Drive over there and club the manager. Normally I don’t condone violence but it’s the only fair way.

DrP

Fore god’s sake you lot, wood you stop it…

DrP

legend
    Free Member

Nah, it’d almost certainly have bounced off, windscreens are tough. They hit hard enough to dent bodywork though.

Actually….. I know a lad who’s golf ball ended up embedded in the front window of an Irn-Bru delivery lorry! People almost didn’t get their ginger!! 😯

theotherjonv

Normally there are signs up where golf holes cross rights of way and v/v

He must have been a fairway off course

Re the car near miss,may be worth carrying a spare windscreen in case you get a hole in one.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hope you’re not feeling too rough now.

psling
    Free Member

Yeah, pop round and flag it up. It shouldn’t get too rough, you’ll soon iron it out with them.

gribble
    Free Member

OP. you may have suffered an injury, but be glad you are not wasting your life away on a golf course and are instead keeping active on your bike.

There is a smug satisfaction in knowing that however much of a chopper we look like on a bike, it is never going to be as bad as on the golf course.

Edric64
    Free Member

A friends mum lost several teeth getting hit by a golf ball when she was on a footpath

wwaswas

You need eagle eyes on the courses round here to spot those going for low scores.

A little birdie told me that the one that hit you was called Albert Ross.

zokes
    Free Member

With the legal bogie brought to the fore, it sounds like it could be hole world of hurt for the golfer. I hope he bunkers down.

numbnut
    Free Member

Some of those puns are below par…

zzjabzz
    Free Member

A golf ball hitting you in the back could well leave you handicapped…

kayak23

was as if a large man had thrown a boulder from very close by.

Or a small man on a ladder?..

simmy
    Free Member

There are fore or so footpaths near our local golf course, 2 on the green which are smooth, and a couple by the side that are a bit more rough.

Walking the dog the other week, I couldn’t resist throwing a stray golf ball onto the green near a hole to confuse them 8)

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member
    CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Well, I’ll pitch in before this thread fades. I’m generally unmpressed by your approach, it’s not such a terrible thing to be hit in the back, nine out of ten of us have had this happen. It’s bad form to carry such a chip on your shoulder about this. And making up injuries so you could claim would be a lie they are very used to. How green do you think they are? Give it a break! Then again i should expect no less, divots like you are about par for STW? As for the puns? I think i’ll stay away. I have loftier aspirations.

martinhutch

+4 CharlieMungus

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ll chip in on this one – this sort of accident is par for the course and your lucky you didn’t end on on a trolley. Have a word with the club and make sure their card is marked.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

True story my mums partner worked for guide dogs for the blind. They had a guy who in the 70s had been hit in the face and blinded by a golf ball. Why you may ask did he need a guide dog? Because in the early 80s he was standing at a bus stop and a golf ball hit him in the other eye totally blinding him.

wrecker
    Free Member

You going to shaft them or what?

maccruiskeen

hit me square in the small of the back.

Could have been worse, If you had longer legs you would have scored a hole in one.

sharkbait
    Free Member

They had a guy who in the 70s had been hit in the face and blinded in one eye by a golf ball.

Couldn’t understand it before.

boxfish
    Free Member

I know the name of a good injuries claim solicitor…Mr Albert Ross

portlyone

Sounds like a good walk was spoiled?

molgrips
    Free Member

One of my favourite local trails is right next to a fairway. Can’t really ask for netting or anything though, it’s not even a right of way 🙂

29ers
    Free Member

Oh just Putt the kettle on and have a cup of tee, too much ball ache

xherbivorex
    Free Member

GOLF JOKE

DezB
    Free Member

Just do some big skids on the green to get your own back.

luffy105
    Free Member

I remember slicing a drive horrifically whilst playing at heaton park many years ago. Ball went sailing out of the park and bounced on the Manchester ring road during rush hour. I was terrified for a few seconds that I was going to hear screeching tyres. Thankfully it bounced harmlessly out of the way and I never played there again.

And yes, I really am that crap at golf.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Twatted by a golf ball on a footpath…’ is closed to new replies.