Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • TW Steel watches
  • Kryton57

Thoughts on TW steel? Thinking of a celo51…

wwaswas

they gave me free tickets to Goodwood Festival of speed and tour of the Renault pit there. I *love* them 🙂

mrmoofo

I have one.
    It keeps time
    It is easy to read
    And it’s huge – no-one can miss it

I likes it

Kryton57

I’m overseas so I’m getting 15% off the prices on the website. Not site if laying out £500 on that^^ Ti coated beauty is better than £190 on the simple but classy looking Tw01.

This is the winter bike fund going up the swanny so big decision.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Kryton, I looked at them when I was replacing my everyday watch. Wanted something that was reasonably tough, not too “formal” and looked right (For me).

TW’s prices, and their sizes, were just too big for what I was after, so I went for this instead;

(now with a proper strap)

TW are an acquired taste, having tried them. The biggest thing for me was the size. I’m not a small chap, and TW watches looked silly on me, IMHO.

wwaswas

that’s bloody huge CF!

Kryton57

CFH, my brief is the same as yours. I have a Tag Aquaracer (wedding present) which looks great in a suit but I’m uncomfortable with it in the shed/at SITS etc so tend not to wear a watch as a result.

What model is that?

(And also I am in the land if the bearded ones currently, rum at £15 for 2L woo hoo! Have also discovered Falernum for the first time)

Kryton57
    unovolo
    Free Member

Overpriced,oversized tat unless you have wrists the size of fetlocks I really don’t see the point.

Movements are cheap Miyota ones which are a good reliable workhorse but makes one wonder where the rest of your money is going(marketing).

For similar money I’d be looking at a Precista or Smiths from Timefactors.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

wwaswas, big picture…

Small…..far away….small, far away.

🙂

Kryton, it’s the catchily named SNDA57P1.

Am off to that side of the world tomorrow, as it happens. Antigua this time, for a change! 8) Not sure the rum can live up to the hirsute island’s perfect XO, though!

wwaswas

Small…..far away….small, far away.

*looks blank*

Kryton57
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, I read that review while looking. Uber-geeky, but it helped me choose.

It’s a super watch, for very little cash. And, looks smart enough for a suit, yet scruffy enough to be worn with a pair of boardies, Reefs, Oakleys and a glass of rum on the beach! Hard to find something like that, IMO, and am very, very pleased with it.

mrmoofo

But they are not very nice looking TBH …

duntstick
    Free Member

In real life, can you see the extra dinky dials, or would it be a better watch without them. I don’t get chronos

Kryton57

But they are not very nice looking TBH …

That’s what I thought. Not sure if CFH’s watch is flash enough to double as a pub talking point tbh. But then again, with 2 kids I need something I can accidentally slop my 2nd and final pint over, can be bashed with Ben 10’s weapons arsenal and withstand baby puke, as well as gt85 muc off and Herefordshire mud.

CountZero

CFH, that’s a really nice looking watch!

Kryton57

CountZero – Member
    CFH, that’s a really nice looking watch!

It’s growing on me a lot. I keep seeing really good reviews. Not so good on the TW steel watches though – the cheaper ones have cheap innards and the general “quality” isn’t as high as those Seikos. One chaps had the predecessor for 22yrs!

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL at that crown.

And the aspergers some folk have when it comes to watches.

dooosuk
    Free Member

I’ve had a TW2 for the past 4 years and had no problems with it.

Still on original leather strap but that could do with replacement now. Warn all day, every day pretty much and easy to change the battery yourself.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not sure if CFH’s watch is flash enough to double as a pub talking point tbh

Rather the point!
    I have vintage or shiny for that. The Seiko is for every day, subtle wins!

ac282

In real life, can you see the extra dinky dials, or would it be a better watch without them. I don’t get chronos

How about this?

IHN

looks smart enough for a suit, yet scruffy enough to be worn with a pair of boardies, Reefs, Oakleys and a glass of rum on the beach! Hard to find something like that, IMO

Oldie, but a goldie.

Nobby

Edit Scratch that, found it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well I saw a TW yesterday, mind-numbingly gopping! IMO.

RicB

TW look ridiculous unless you’re a gorilla.

This is my fave at the moment:

Kryton57

Anything good to say about Citizen and Eco drive? Found this at £116 and I’d be interested in opinions from watch afficianados, or is cfh’s seiko “better”?

http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-uk/watches/watch-detail/?model=BM7120-01E

Very light and the crown on the right side for wrists down on the bars 😀

Nobby

Don’t like that one Kryton & not just because it’s designed for golfists.

Because of this damn thread I’ve now ordered one of those Seikos that ac282 posted above as my everyday watch. :-/

CountZero

Still really loving my Seiko:

The only other watch I’d replace it with, is another Seiko, this one*

A Tuna automatic, not the Quartz version.
    *qualified by the fact I wear a Casio G-Shock to work, to avoid damaging the Seiko on machinery.

somafunk

Yep, i must admit to being a recently converted watch bore after my purchase of a seiko from yobokies, specifically this one below,

Although i am still on the hunt for a genuine Seiko Spork for a decent price.

Kryton57

Nobby – did you find one that’s not an Auto? Fwiw my tag is an auto and if you don’t wear it, resstringnitnis a pain in the arse IMO.

Nobby

Nah – I wanted an auto & a bit of research seems to show that the Seikos will run for 3 or 4 days without touching them & more if you give ’em a bit of a shake when you take it off. At the end of the day, this was always going to be my ‘everyday’ watch.

I’m lucky if my TAG gives 36 hours.

Edit: Yorkshire Watches have a pretty wide selection if you want to find a non-auto.

matt23
    Free Member

My TW Steel watch just arrived today – wedding present – it is big but I like it and I definitely won’t be wearing it around the ‘bike’ – the wife to be would lynch me!
    I do like the other watches above though 🙂

Nobby

Mine arrived this morning & it really is very nice – that pic above doesn’t do it justice 🙂

Kryton57

That’s good news. The pics on Yorkshire watches are much better also. After a failed attempt to buy one duty free yesterday, I shall be ordering mine soon.

M6TTF
    Free Member

I have one, its great. 45mm is large, but there are plenty of 50mm + watches available. Sadly im ‘blessed’ with girls wrists and tbh the 45mm looks a bit big on my wrist, but i love big watches so i bought it 🙂 If I had the money it would be U-Boat for me

Nobby

@ Kryton – Stewart there is very helpful & knowledgable too.

Kryton57

Great service from Yorkshire Watches, order midday yesterday arrived 10 today:

Untitled

As Nobby said, the pics on interweb don’t do them justice.

CountZero

Although i am still on the hunt for a genuine Seiko Spork for a decent price.

Not sure if this is still available, or if the price is a bit rich…
    http://swx.com.sg/forum/showthread.php?49863-Very-minty-Seiko-SPORK-SRP043K1-for-Sale-!

mark90
    Free Member

Nice watch Kryton. It’s on my short list, just can’t decide if it’s a little bit big for my weedy 7″ wrists.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘TW Steel watches’ is closed to new replies.