Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • TV vs PVR picture quality; numpty Q.
  • roger_mellie

TV signal comes through a standard rooftop aerial, into the back of a PVR, then from the PVR to the TV.
    If I view BBC1 or any other channel on the TV, by selecting TV as the source, the picture is not as sharp as when I view BBC1 via the PVR (i.e. by selecting PVR as the source).

Is the PVR’s tuner just doing a ‘better’ job of decoding the same signal than the TV’s tuner?

(Ideally I’d like to retire the PVR, as the cooling fan isn’t the quietest and we don’t really record much TV anymore. I only keep it for the picture quality).

Cheers

binman

Have you tried putting the incoming ariel lead directly into the back of the TV, if so is it still poor ?

roger_mellie

Yeah, just tried that. TV picture still not sharp.

binman

Looks like the PVR has a better tuner then ?

stumpy01

Viewing standard def on the telly (channel 1, for example) and high def on the pvr (101 for comparison)?

roger_mellie

Looks like the PVR has a better tuner then ?

Yeah, I think that’s probably it, isn’t it?

Standard def on TV vs HD on PVR is even more of a difference.

I guess I’m either putting up with the whirry fan of the current PVR or buying a new one…

Cheers

peaslaker
    Free Member

If standard def, the upscaling may be better in the PVR.

Unless it is falling apart pixellated, it isn’t the signal; digital, innit?

stumpy01

I went to look at TVs with my parents a few months back. They didn’t want a large TV as it wouldn’t fit in the alcove they have available.
    They kept mentioning 32″. I was trying to push them towards something bigger, although 43″ was gonna be a bit too large to comfortably fit.

We found a couple of 40″ TVs and the quality of them was absolutely shit compared to all those around them (considering they were receiving the same feed).
    There was jagged edges where other TVs were smooth, the boundaries at smooth colour transitions (like sunsets) was a jagged pixelated mess, while was fine on other TVs around. They weren’t even that cheap, so I am not really sure why they were so bad.

So, perhaps it is just the TV has rubbish software that does all the picture crunching?
    It would definitely be worth going along to a shop & comparing image quality. My parents were quite shocked by how different the bad ones were.

StuE

There so many different ways of watching tv these days, if you have decent internet you could use Roku/Apple tv or something similar

phil5556

It’s not an older HD Ready TV is it? So it will take an HD input but the runner itself isn’t HD?

Sorry if that’s already been covered/discounted.

sharkbait
    Free Member

(Ideally I’d like to retire the PVR, as the cooling fan isn’t the quietest and we don’t really record much TV anymore. I only keep it for the picture quality)

Not a Humax is it?
    If so you could install the excellent custom firmware that, amongst many other things, allows you to control the fan.
    Or you could maybe fit a new fan.

nuke

Funnily enough its the other way around for us: humax pvr less sharp than the Sony TV

nwmlarge
    Free Member

if the fan is noisy, open the unit, vacuum the years of neglect out of it and reassemble, no doubt it will be quieter.

ampthill

Is the only connection between the PVR and tv a arial cable or is there an HDMI cable as well

IS the PVR HD but the tv tunner sd?

roger_mellie

Thanks folks

Both TV and PVR are HD. We have a Roku, but it’s annoying/ first world problem that there isn’t a Freeview ‘app’ for the Roku box to put all the catch up services in 1 place (All4, iPlayer, 5OD etc). Not a Humax. Connection between PVR and TV is coax and HDMI.

I think I’ll start with hoovering the fan crud!!

Cougar

Connection between PVR and TV is coax and HDMI.

Wait. What’s the coax for?

Does your aerial connection go from the roof to the PVR and then a second cable from PVR to the TV? That cable might well be your problem. What happens if you take the aerial connection out of the TV and plug it directly into the TV?

roger_mellie

If I disconnect the coax going from the PVR to the TV and switch TV input to ‘antenna’, I lose the picture. If I select ‘PVR’ input, then I still get a picture, presumably from the HDMI.

Does your aerial connection go from the roof to the PVR and then a second cable from PVR to the TV?

Yes, that’s right.

If I take the aerial connection from the wall straight to the TV, bypassing the PVR (and select ‘antenna’ input) the picture quality is not as sharp as when viewing the signal from the PVR.

So I’m guessing the PVR is ‘processing’ the signal better and then delivering that to the TV to display, rather than the slightly shoddier picture when the TV is doing the processing. But as someone mentioned previously, surely it’s just zeros and ones?

I’m still going to hoover the heck out of the PVR fan to see if that shushes it a bit 😀

Cougar

Let me see if I’ve got this right:

1) Selecting a HDMI source on the TV (ie, the PVR) gives you a sharp picture. You’d need to change channels on the PVR to watch a different station.
    2) Selecting the TV tuner as the source on the TV gives you a degraded picture. You’d need to change channels on the TV to watch a different station.

Is that correct?

If so then I wonder, are you picking up the TV signal from two different transmitters perhaps? Try running auto-tune / station scan from the TV settings menu?

It might also be worth looking for things like picture mode settings. It could be displaying a HDMI source as ‘native’ and the internal tuner as ‘soft’ or ‘movie’ or something. Some TV remotes have a dedicated button for this even.

roger_mellie

Is that correct?

Yup, bang on.

Yeah, could be two different transmitter signals. Good shout.

I haven’t checked the TV picture settings; that’s also a good idea.

Cheers

ampthill

I hate to ask but

But in the telly you do select 101 say to get the HD version of BBC 1

PS there were HD tvs sold with sd tuners. It’s not that is it

simondbarnes

PS there were HD tvs sold with sd tuners.

Yep, my old 1080p telly only had an SD tuner.

phil5556

That’s what I meant up there 👆🏻

Old Panasonic TV was “HD Ready” = SD tuner.

I see I wrote runner which was obviously supposed to be tuner.

Cougar

I hate to ask but

But in the telly you do select 101 say to get the HD version of BBC 1

I literally just thought the same thing about five minutes ago whilst packing away the shopping. Try it on BBC1 at 7:05pm, see if you get regional news on one and a big red screen telling you to bugger off on the other.

PS there were HD tvs sold with sd tuners. It’s not that is it

Were there? I didn’t know that.

binman

The HD ready TVs could play HD DVDs (Blu Ray) but this was before digital TV signals were a thing. Still have my HD ready plasma in the spare bedroom, with a Chromecast plugged in.

5lab

I’d also check plugging the aeriel (sp) lead directly into the back of the telly, avoiding the DVR, to eliminate the option that the lead you have there is poor or the dvr is downgrading the signal somehow

Cougar

Aye, he’s done that.

phil5556

Were there? I didn’t know that.

My folks had a Panasonic Viera(?) one. I presume that it was before Freeview went HD.

No idea if a non HD tuner will actually tune to an HD channel though and show it in SD?

binman

No idea if a non HD tuner will actually tune to an HD channel though and show it in SD?

Pretty sure it didn’t. I was using mine (with a humax) in the ‘dad den’ (playroom) until the end of the first lockdown. Too heavy to carry downstairs to check 😬 as it is a 37″ Panasonic  viera plasma

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

No, it won’t. I’ve got an “HD Ready” Samsung TV with an SD tuner and it only picks up SD channels i.e. I can’t get BBC1 HD (channel 101) for example.

Plugging in a Blu-ray player via HDMI and it will playback in HD.

As suggested above, make sure you’re comparing the same channels. Channel 1 is BBC1 SD and 101 is BBC1 HD.

ampthill

I’d just like to add this I’d the best thread ever by nomative determinism

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Mellie

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Indeed, Roger is the man on the telly. But seems like the thread was started by Kendo? So a wrestler and a cartoon character on the TV. Respect!

roger_mellie

Thanks for the suggestions all. I checked the TV picture settings. They were indeed on some soft focus nonsense setting (thanks Cougar). I’ve put the TV on ‘Standard’ now. Picture is much improved. 🤦‍♂️ There’s not much in it, but PVR I reckon still has the edge. However,I have been drinking wine.

TV wasn’t picking up any HD channels. I retuned the TV (auto retune) and it’s still not. However the specs make me think it is an HD TV, but as I’ve demonstrated, I’m no expert! PVR is definitely HD. TV label and specs (I think) below.

https://www.whathifi.com/lg/42sl9500/overview

Finally, my username <is> roger_mellie; somehow I managed to change my display name in my profile to Kendo during some forum update. (I’d rather the latter as my username). I can’t change it back. When I post comments on main page stories I see ‘Kendo’ displayed, but when I post in the forum I see ‘roger_mellie’ displayed. Seems like some folk are seeing me as Roger and some as Kendo? Maybe someone could report me as an imposter!

I need a lie down…

simondbarnes

TV wasn’t picking up any HD channels. I retuned the TV (auto retune) and it’s still not. However the specs make me think it is an HD TV

The screen is HD but the internal tuner is not (they didn’t exist for sale in 2009) so if you want to watch anything in HD you will need an external box.

Cougar

There you go. Good work all.

Incidentally, for all that you say you posted a “numpty question,” you’ve been an ideal supportee. Well-explained problem, listened to advice, followed advice, reported back clearly. I wish all requests for assistance were that easy.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.