Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tv signal question
  • iolo
    Free Member

Excuse the possibility dumb question but if you don’t ask you don’t find out.
    I’ve got a wall socket for my tv aerial (which is in the attic). There’s no TV or anything else connected to it. I need to watch TV in another room with no socket.
    Is there some kind of transmitter I can plug into the aerial socket so I can tune the tv to pick up the signal.
    I’m not going to put cables in from the other room as it’s not my place.
    Thanks.

jota180
    Free Member

Not cheaply, no
    You need some sort of tuner (usually a TV) and then transmit the AV

jairaj

What Jota said.

You can’t transmit the RF signal directly from the aerial. So you’d have to have a set top box connected to the aerial socket and use a AV sender to transmit the output from the set top box.

Something like this connected between set top box and tv: av sender thingy

No idea if the one above is a good one, its just the first link I clicked on.

iolo
    Free Member

So if I get one on these

plus the transmitter thing linked above it would work?

jairaj

Yep should work.

Make sure you get an AV sender with a remote control repeater so you can change channels etc from the other room.

jairaj

But its a bit of a elaborate and expensive set up. Is there some reason you don’t want to use an indoor aerial plugged into your TV? Are you in a remote area with poor signal strength?

jota180
    Free Member

I’m not going to put cables in from the other room as it’s not my place.

Can’t you just throw in a loose extension cable?

iainc

some good suggestions on here.

I have similar quandary – our house setup was put in by a cowboy pre-loft conversion and worked fine till the other day when we upgraded 8 yr old Sky box to HD. The digital aerial lead used to go direct to the Sky box, and an RF out then went from box to a powered splitter in the loft area, with aerial outputs to all the other TV’s. This gave us Sky in all the rooms, plus digital TV in all the rooms also. Because with HD Sky box the aerial wire now goes to the TV, the IO RF output from the box only transmits Sky round the house, not Sky plus digital TV. We now have no digital signal anywhere except main tv. The aerial sockets on all the other TV’s are connected via the loft box to receive Sky, which is good, but I can’t see any way of getting a digital signal in there too, without lots of holes in walls, new cabling etc …

jota180
    Free Member

Just use a 2 way splitter like this and feed the RF output from the Sky in one side and the terrestrial feed into the other, this will combine them and output on the port marked ‘input’

deadkenny
    Free Member

Internet TV

bearnecessities

^^ Can’t you just put the aerial into the splitter? You’ll obviously lose your distributed Sky.

iainc

cheers, I think I’ll have a look at that 2 input job, thanks

jota180
    Free Member

Make sure you get one that covers the TV band (400-900MHz)

If there isn’t a feed back from the powered splitter to the main TV, you may want to add a 2nd splitter and split the terrestrial feed as it comes in – one straight to the TV and the other to the splitter being used as a combiner.

iainc

If there isn’t a feed back from the powered splitter to the main TV, you may want to add a 2nd splitter and split the terrestrial feed as it comes in – one straight to the TV and the other to the splitter being used as a combiner.

yes, that’s exact situation I have. The logistical problem being that the powered splitter is in a cupboard in the converted loft and there is no access to the aerial from that cupboard, or anywhere else in the loft. The wire that comes in from the roof aerial will be somewhere behind plasterboard/insulation/steel beams so I may end up needing a new wire installed…somehow.

The cheaper option might be just to not watch digital telly in the bedrooms and kitchen, seeing as they have Sky anyway !

jota180
    Free Member

A couple of splitters and a handful of F connectors will cost bobbins and sort it out.

iainc

Thanks jota – useful tips to get me going with it, cheers

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tv signal question’ is closed to new replies.