Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 151 total)
  • TV series you were really late to (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)
  • IHN

Is this streaming somewhere?

You can buy it on GoogleTV, if that’s any use

I managed to not only avoid Homeland for the entirety of its run, but also avoid spoilers for it. So I’ve been binging that over my Christmas break and am now up to season 5.

It’s great, but I do find myself saying ‘why the hell are you doing that stupid thing’ to the main character an awful lot.

Yeah, we gave up after/during S3, it was just getting stupid.

chakaping
    Free Member

I prefer knowing the back story to Saul, Mike and Gus anyway as they are better actors than the two main protagonists! 

Yes, Vince Gilligan played a blinder focusing on them and bringing Kim in for BCS. Much better show than BB, IMO.

chakaping
    Free Member

Is this streaming somewhere?

You can buy it on GoogleTV, if that’s any use

Thanks, but I can’t brink myself to buy any shows when I have four paid streaming services already 😀

oldfart

We also binge watched The Detectorists recently just brilliant 👍

sadexpunk

Never watched an episode of Still Game until a week ago.

That last DVD boxset I brought (from a charity shop)… bloody love it.

also came here to say ‘still game’. never heard of it before but once we found it a couple of years back we consumed it all within a couple of weeks. brilliant.

scuttler

I watched Sopranos a couple of years back. Brilliant! Twin Towers there / not there between series’ (in the only credits scene besides Succession I never FFWD) dates it.

doris5000

I finished Sopranos season 1 the other month. It was pretty good.

I’ve got the DVDs of season 2 up on the shelf. Really going to try and get around to it this year.

yoshimi

fooman
    Free Member
    Jericho (2006) on Netflix it’s not perfect but they have an interesting take on a nuclear apocalypse maybe more relavent now.

Great shout – loved this, daft, but great

Also, the Newsroom – another good shout

trailmonkey

This Country.

IHN

I finished Sopranos season 1 the other month. It was pretty good.

Pretty good? It’s, by any measure, brilliant.

doris5000

yeah I was underselling it a bit to emphasise my complete out of touchness with popular TV! It was great, really enjoyed it.

Will definitely get around to S2. At some point….

martinhutch

Yes, Vince Gilligan played a blinder focusing on them and bringing Kim in for BCS. Much better show than BB, IMO.

How Rhea Seehorn hasn’t won every award going is a complete mystery.

pondo

Ghosts. 🙂

twonks

We watched ‘Startup’ quite late and found it great, albeit a short 3 series.
    Got a mixed review but I found it good.

Couldn’t get into BCS at all, despite loving Breaking Bad.

And as daft as it sounds, I find myself watching Star Trek next generation when it’s on and being quite into it even now.

Watched the original Fargo las year and enjoyed it.

Snowfall is worth a watch.

didnthurt

Only started to watch Stranger Things over the Christmas period.

slowoldman

Motherland is surprisingly enjoyable. Although none of the characters are particularly likeable.

But we like characters who aren’t wholly likeable don’t we (and grotesques as in League of Gentlemen)? Better than perfect goody two shoes types. All the characters are brilliantly portrayed though. Oh and I particularly like Anna Maxwell-Martin. First saw her in “The Life of Rock with Brian Pern”.

IHN

Snowfall is worth a watch.

Definitely

StuE
    Free Member

Battlestar Galactica
    The Expanse
    Ray Donovan
    There’s loads more to catch up on too

StuE
    Free Member

Forgot The big bang theory, started watching it after Young Sheldon

scuttler

Two Snowfall fans!! I don’t know anyone else that watched probably cos it was on council telly and not Netflix.

Huge fan, it’s brilliant!

MSP

Pretty good? It’s, by any measure, brilliant.

The trouble with just watching the Sopranos for the first time now, is that it inspired so many program makers, has been stolen from and copied so much, that it doesn’t seem as fresh as it was when watched 20 odd years ago. It is like listening to a piece of music from the 60’s or 70’s where the riff from one of your favourite songs was copied from, but that old original song feels flat because you have heard that really good riff so many times now.

fazzini

I missed a lot of great TV when I was running pubs and bars etc. Reckon I’ve caught up on most that were of interest. As others have said the headliners were Sopranos, West Wing, The Wire – these were my highlights and I’ve revisited them all since. More recently I’ve re-watched The Expanse, Band of Brothers and The Pacific. I also persevered with season 1 of Prison Break (always late to stuff) and it was OK, but I’ve not bothered with the follow ups. Might just be me, but I just couldn’t get in to Breaking Bad 🤷🏼‍♂️

twonks

Forgot about Ray Donovan, that was good too.

Also Black Mirror and Altered Carbon were intriguing.

augustuswindsock

Inside no 9 on the iPlayer is absolute comedy genius, it’s been on for a few years now apparently, I only discovered it over Christmas.
    ‘A quiet night in’ and ‘la Couchette’ are good ones to start with, utterly brilliant and some dark twists too!

chainbreaker
    Free Member

Currently just started watching the Expanse. Have no idea why I left it so long before I started watching it despite hearing about it frequently. Currently on S2 and yet I think its one of the best TV series I’ve ever watched since breaking bad, it has everything and it always seems to keep you on your toes.

I can see why it is highly regarded.

pondo

Ghosts. 🙂

Ghosts US is somehow equally as fantastic. 🙂

thols2

I watched Sopranos a couple of years back. Brilliant! Twin Towers there / not there between series’ (in the only credits scene besides Succession I never FFWD) dates it.

Brilliant thing about Sopranos was the crew could be hilariously stupid, quite likeable, and viciously brutal all at the same time.

DickBarton

Chuck…was generally good throughout all the series, despite the incredibly bizarre scenario. First one was a bit more comedy than the rest but it seemed to work. Got to the final episode and I felt sad when it ended as it felt slightly unfinished…but was a good series.

jonnyboi

Afterlife, I can’t stand RG, but the first series at least is absolutely excellent.

a11y

We were late to The Handmaid’s Tale but thoroughly enjoying it.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Rumpole of the Bailey.
    Jeeves and Wooster.
    Rising damp.
    Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy.
    Rebus
    Life on Mars.
    New top gear.
    Enjoyed and learnt from all the above.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Can’t stand the handmaid’s tale in any of it formats.That Atwood lady is a bore.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Missed the first 5 years of the keiser report.Watched every episode after that.

luv2ride
    Free Member

Happy Valley, by which I mean me and Mrs L2R settled down to see what all the fuss was about with the new series (had previously watched season 2). After binging it on iPlayer over the past few evenings, discovered we’d actually been watching (and thoroughly enjoying) season 1! Couldn’t work out why TLR didn’t have a beard, given the artwork promo for S3….

DickBarton

Red Dwarf – it did go a bit weird for a few series, but it still entertains.

Blackadder – all of them are good but Blackadder goes Fourth is stunningly good.

Both don’t really count as I watched them when they first came out, but I’ve got the boxsets and they are being watched just now by the youngsters and they think they are brilliant.

chakaping
    Free Member

Bending the rules slightly, I did love Futurama when it first aired – but I never saw the last couple of seasons.

Been catching up with them now, having started at the beginning with my daughter. Brilliant stuff.

tomhoward

Our Friends In the North.

zilog6128

Been catching up with them now, having started at the beginning with my daughter. Brilliant stuff.

the first season was brilliant, clever & insightful with the fish-out-of-water stuff & contrasting real, present day issues with made up future problems. Obviously they ran out of ideas/steam in that department after a while in the same way The Simpsons did & it just focused one wacky adventures! The latter seasons, while they had their moments, were much worse IMO after they basically turned it into a soap-opera, will-they-won’t-they between Fry & Leela. I also didn’t much care for the feature-length, mini story arc format.

midlifecrashes

Emily in Paris, S3 is here already and I’m just up to S1:E7!

You can practically smell the Parisian streets!
    And no-one gets killed, unlike most of what passes for “great TV” these days.

jon1973
    Free Member

American Horror Story. A few episodes into series 2. Really enjoying it.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 151 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.