Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 151 total)
  • TV series you were really late to (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)
  • joebristol

Bosch on Amazon Prime. I’m up to date on Jack Ryan and Reacher and was looking for something else and a mate suggested Bosch. First episode or so I was a bit meh – but now I’m plugging through season 2 and enjoying it. Got 7 seasons worth to get through and then the spin off Bosch:Legacy.

I was liking ‘Unforgettable’ and got to the end of season 4 (I think) and they left it on a cliff hanger and then the whole thing got cancelled. Annoying – was quite a few years late watching that one – I should have done my research!

simondbarnes

Travel Man

redmex
    Free Member

Another Happy Valley fan here well written and I was brought up on Taggart thurs been a murrrdar.

soundninjauk

meanwhile the really smart people are watching Rick & Morty 😉

I watched the first episode of that and just didn’t get it/wasn’t smart enough(!), so watched Bojack Horseman instead. People rave about it though so should probably give it another shot.

Watched the first episode of The Expanse last night, having read the first book (Leviathan Wakes) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have a slight suspicion that the show won’t live up to it though so might try The Witcher instead which has been on my list for a while.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just working my way through 7 seasons of Justified and am up to season 2 of Lucifer.

More entertaining is the list of series I haven’t seen.

Game of Thrones. S01 Ep01: Saw 30 minutes. No tits or dragons. I’m out.
    The Wire
    West Wing
    Newsroom (Although now I’m keen to try it.)
    Breaking Bad
    Better Call Saul
    The Expanse
    The Sopranos
    Peaky Blinders
    Mad Men
    Lost
    Any CSI series. (I did like the original NCIS for about 5 seasons.)
    Detectorists. (I did watch the Christmas special)

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I really like the idea of waiting until a series has completed until watching. Too many prematurely end, I’m looking at you Mindhunter, and I’ve just deleted 1899 from my downloads as I’ve just found out it’s been canned.

Recently rather enjoyed Lucifer and binged the lot. Not exactly high brow but by the end I’d gelled with the characters and cared what happened. It also finished of nicely I thought. Reminded me of old school TV like Moonlighting and such, easy watch light entertainment.

I’m currently restarting Ozark which I’ve found amazingly stressful, there doesn’t seem to be a scene where something isn’t happening and I feel I’ve watched way more than a season and a half. I understand that the series has been cancelled and restarted a couple of times and I’m hoping that it’s now complete,I don’t want to delve too deep unless I unearth any spoilers.

spacemonkey

+1 The Wire. Friend talked about it all the time when it was airing in the UK all those years ago but we weren’t interested. Picked up the DVD box set a few years later and smashed through S1-3.

The missus only got round to watching Breaking Bad 2 years ago and binged it in a few weeks.

EDIT: Watched Generation Kill a few years after its release. Bloody good.

chakaping
    Free Member

I understand not wanting to start a series which might not finish, but you’d end up missing some of the best TV that way.

Glow
    Deadwood
    The OA

All very enjoyable for what they are, despite getting canned.

fruitbat

In no particular order:

Borgen – Mrs Fruitbat hates it because of subtitles

Two Doors Down – perhaps a bit parochial

Motherland – also a bit parochial perhaps

kelvin

Three great options… and following on from Borgen… we were late to watching Roadkill… well worth a watch.

IHN

We started watching Borgen after about five years of my mum saying “are you watching Borgen?”. Really enjoyed it.

Roadkill is on the iPlayer watch list to, er, watch.

jeffl

Another vote for the Expanse. Stopped watching at S3 or similar when it moved from Netflix to Amazon.

Motherland is surprisingly enjoyable. Although none of the characters are particularly likeable. The main characters Husband cracks me up when he drops in for the odd telephone call, complete and utter throbbed.

thols2

Watched Generation Kill a few years after its release. Bloody good.

Yes. I watched it last year. Really good show.

ransos
    Free Member

Honestly though, I find Sorkin’s stuff hasn’t aged brilliantly. I still love the characters and the dialog but it just seems naively optimistic and unrealistic these days.

It was always idealised, but I find the escapism more necessary than ever.

Cougar

Detectorists – binged all series over Xmas so I could watch the Xmas edition.

Same. I’m up to date now bar the Xmas episode.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Mad Men, finally binged the lot last year. It’s now my favourite telly program ever. Well that and The Sopranos.

winston
    Free Member

I never had the time to watch Breaking Bad when it came out. Ended up watching all 6 seasons of Better call Saul first and have now just started watching BB for the first time. It seems to make way more sense watching them this way round as its in timeline order and you have all th backstories all ready which makes the characters even more well rounded in BB

and yes, series getting binned is a real pet hate  – I wasted precious viewing time on both Y the last man (Disney) and 1899

richwales

Never watched an episode of Still Game until a week ago. We are on series 5 now. Was it only on in Scotland maybe why I missed it?

desperatebicycle

I was late to Breaking Bad, mostly due to not being a fan of Bryan Cranston’s over-acting. Went through it during lockdown, cos stranded WFH with not much going on. It passed the time ok.

Quite fancied Mad Men when I saw it was free on that Pluto streaming service. But it doesn’t remember where you got to! I was 3/4 through an episode and couldn’t skip to where I’d left it as it insists on showing the ads. Gave up.

zilog6128

Mad Men, finally binged the lot last year. It’s now my favourite telly program ever. Well that and The Sopranos.

hmmm, never actually watched MM 🤔 Love The Sopranos though, seen it twice all the way through and can happily dip in & out of random episodes, everyone in it is so good it’s a joy to watch & doesn’t matter if I can’t quite remember what’s going on with the storyline 😂

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Southland on FreeVee (via Amazon) one of the best US Cop shows out there.

kennyp
    Free Member

I’m a huge sitcom fan and only recently discovered the utterly brilliant Community on Netflix. Originally aired about a decade ago I think.

thols2

Southland on FreeVee (via Amazon) one of the best US Cop shows out there.

Yes, that was really good. Closest thing to a Hill Street Blues successor I’ve seen.

I’m a huge sitcom fan and only recently discovered the utterly brilliant Community on Netflix.”

I really liked the first couple of seasons, then go bored and stopped watching.

Cougar

I never had the time to watch Breaking Bad when it came out. Ended up watching all 6 seasons of Better call Saul first and have now just started watching BB for the first time. It seems to make way more sense watching them this way round as its in timeline order and you have all th backstories all ready which makes the characters even more well rounded in BB

You’ll have a few pretty serious spoilers though.

It’s like watching Star Wars in timeline order, it completely ruin’s Vader’s identity.

jambourgie
    Free Member

hmmm, never actually watched MM 🤔 Love The Sopranos though, seen it twice all the way through and can happily dip in & out of random episodes, everyone in it is so good it’s a joy to watch & doesn’t matter if I can’t quite remember what’s going on with the storyline 😂

Mad Men is a slow burner. I didn’t even like it until season two, loved it by season three.

Amen about The Sopranos, it’s that good.

soundninjauk

Community is absolutely brilliant, such an inventive show. I’m also a Motherland fan, although that might partly be because it’s filmed around where I used to live (I used to be able to see the school they hang around outside from the balcony of my flat).

This has also reminded me that it’s been ages since I’ve watched Generation Kill (or read the book it’s based on). Should probably do something about that.

kelvin

Never watched an episode of Still Game until a week ago.

That last DVD boxset I brought (from a charity shop)… bloody love it.

creakingdoor
    Free Member

On the Buses. 😲

chakaping
    Free Member

Community is absolutely brilliant, such an inventive show.

Did you (or anyone else) not think it went totally up its own arse by season 4 or 5?

Felt like they were really milking the “quirky” characters and forgetting to write actual jokes.

zilog6128

Community is absolutely brilliant, such an inventive show.

hmmm another one that passed me by! Watched a few eps & thought it ok but it never hooked me. Will have to give it another go, especially due to my love of Rick & Morty.

Did you (or anyone else) not think it went totally up its own arse by season 4 or 5?

a quick Google reveals the creator (also partly responsible for R&M) was fired after season 3 due to “disagreements” with Sony which probably explains it (but then brought back for the final 2 seasons)

soundninjauk

There’s a reason season 4 of Community was referred to as its ‘gas leak season‘.

kennyp
    Free Member

It did take a few episodes before I really “got” Community. It did dip a bit in series 4 when Dan Harmon (creator) left, but picked up again in series 5 when he returned. Not a coincidence I suspect.

To be honest it won’t be to everyone’s taste, but I thought it very funny. I gather Chevvy Chase eventually left the show because he just didn’t understand/like the sort of humour they were going for, and yes it does get very self-referential and “meta” which a lot of folk won’t like, but each to their own and all that.

One of those shows I can watch more than once and see new jokes every time. And Abed has to be one of my all time favourite sitcom characters.

donks
    Free Member

Put off watching the detectorists until pretty recently and then chuckled my way though them all very quickly

The clone wars (yes the cartoon ones) only recently watched and thought they smashed the hell out of the shite prequel films.

Rome and Spartacus. These had been out for ages but just looked like they would be awful so after pretty much exhausting everything else I buckled and was really surprised. Loved the dialogue, butchery and obviously the sex. Really worth a watch (imo).

What we do in the shadows…ok it’s still going but only picked it up quite recently after someone at work kept getting called Colin Robinson.

soundninjauk

The clone wars (yes the cartoon ones) only recently watched and thought they smashed the hell out of the shite prequel films.

This show starts off pretty grating (IMO obvs), but by the end it’s Star Wars storytelling at its best. Plus, the animation has come on so far that it looks absolutely stunning.

chakaping
    Free Member

There’s a reason season 4 of Community was referred to as its ‘gas leak season‘.

OK maybe I’ll pick up again with S5 at some point 🙂

I thought a lot of S3 was way too self-indulgent, but that piece kind-of addresses that as well.

spannermonkey

Black Spot

chakaping
    Free Member

Rome

Is this streaming somewhere?

I loved it at the time, great fun.

bensales
    Free Member

I managed to not only avoid Homeland for the entirety of its run, but also avoid spoilers for it. So I’ve been binging that over my Christmas break and am now up to season 5.

It’s great, but I do find myself saying ‘why the hell are you doing that stupid thing’ to the main character an awful lot.

Burchy1
    Free Member

The A word, we only watched one by accident at the start of the last series and had to binge the rest.

Also Snowfall which was a find whilst idly flicking through iPlayer when there was nothing on.

winston
    Free Member

@cougar   Most of the spoilers revealed in Saul were obvious and tbh its not really a plot driven series. I prefer knowing the back story to Saul, Mike and Gus anyway as they are better actors than the two main protagonists!  I think Saul was the better series so far anyway (I’m on S3 E4)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 151 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.