• This topic has 139 replies, 96 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by vazaha.
Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 140 total)
  • TV series and movies you are almost evangelical about.
  • thols2

Bad Boy Bubby. Everyone should be made to watch this. You can learn a lot.

kennyp
    Free Member

Strange that I’ve not seen any tv shows by him

His style of writing wouldn’t necessarily survive the dumbing down that’s usually involved when moving radio shows to TV. However he has done some TV work, most recently writing for the comedy Avenue 5 (which is brilliant I should add).

Pigface
    Free Member

The Wire was sublime, extraordinary story telling.

batfink
    Free Member

Mine are the usual suspects: Band of brothers, the Wire, Generation kill, True Detective, west wing blah blah blah

I thought Mare of Easton was superb, and The Vietnam War (Doc by Ken Burns) is amazing – would happily evangelise about those.

Although by far-and-away, the best TV show I’ve ever seen – knocks all of that lot into a cocked-hat (perhaps except BoB) is Chernobyl. Simply perfect.

Best film Ive seen recently is Greyhound with Tom Hanks. I’m sure others will poke holes in it – but I found it absolutely gripping.

reeksy

However he has done some TV work, most recently writing for the comedy Avenue 5 (which is brilliant I should add).

I better look that up then

iffoverload
    Free Member

Northern Exposure

scuttler

Snowfall on iPlayer. Great characters, rise and rise story of a drug kingpin in 80s LA. Gritty as you’d expect. Brilliant.

Thanks for the reminder to rewatch Interstellar. I’ve only seen it once at the cinema and I couldn’t get it out of my head for a week.

tobymc

Surprised there’s not more love for Detectorists on here…
    Happy Valley seems overlooked too – especially given its location!
    Early Doors. 12 episodes was all they needed.

montgomery
    Free Member

Little Big Man, currently free on Prime. Great film (and book), one of the earlier revisionist westerns that, unlike some, hasn’t dated too badly.

lamp
    Free Member

Dad’s Army – still.

sirromj

Bad Boy Bubby. Everyone should be made to watch this. You can learn a lot.

+1 like the potential of cling film.

Time travel films: Time crimes. Triangle. Predestination. Tenet.

Trippy 80s weirdout vibe with electronic music: Over the Black Rainbow.

Recent TV series: The Peripheral. Severance.

Recent films: 3 billboards missisipi. Everything everywhere all at once.

StuE
    Free Member

Don’t think it’s been mentioned but you should watch Taboo,The big bang theory and Young Sheldon

Freester

Sopranos

Jacob’s Ladder

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Loads of good shouts
    The Wire
    Sopranos
    BoB
    Generation Kill
    Chernobyl
    Nathan Barley
    Barry
    Severance
    Andor
    BB
    Succession
    Six Feet Under
    True Detective
    The Boys

But if I had to try to narrow it down it would be The Leftovers followed by Watchmen.

blackhat
    Free Member

To add to the excellent suggestions:

I was so glad Our Friends in the North stood up to scrutiny when it re-aired recently. You have to be of an age but is superb first to last.

Film wise….Parasite deserved very award it received

schmung
    Free Member

The Ken Burns Vietnam doc that Batfink mentions is indeed excellent, takes a bit of getting through, but really thorough and beatifully made.

I’ve never met anyone else who watched Person of Interest. I’m not sure how I found out about it, or if it was properly broadcast over here, but it’s properly excellent. Network telly from the states, so suffers from ‘we need to make 24 episodes a seson’ syndrome slightly, but really well done show about pervasive surviellance, the possiblities that might lead to and shooting peole in the knee a lot.. From the mind of Jonathan Nolan (who did the new Westworld thing) and has Jim Caviziel in. Not as highbrow or dense as yer Wire and the like, but not braindead either.

chainbreaker
    Free Member

Tv series:
    Breaking bad
    The Expanse
    The peripheral

Movies:
    Interstellar
    Watchmen

burntembers

A few more

Films – Marvellous (Toby Jones), The Social Dilemma (scary insight into our current reality), American Graffiti, The Truman show, The Game, Ruthless People; Gone Girl, Rumble Fish, Sin City, Looper, Memento. I.D.

TV Series- Arcane, Queens Gambit. Fortitude, Killing Eve (First two series), Him and her (final series).

2bit

TV
    Arcane (netflix league of legends based animation (don’t let that put you off)). Knew nothing about it & hadn’t played the game but amazing animation, action & great story.

Queens Gambit

West wing / the Wire (tho not seen either for a while)

Chernobyl

30 Rock / Parks & Rec / Arrested Development (not every series is great (think some were subject to the US writers strike) but the majority are brilliant with lots of great characters & re watch value) ‘there’s always money in the banana stand’

Severance (if only for the final 5 minutes of the last episode. Proper tense wow TV)

Andor

vazaha

I have literally just returned from the pub, where i insisted that my friend watch Detectorists.

He will love it, as will you.

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 140 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.