• This topic has 139 replies, 96 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by vazaha.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 140 total)
  • TV series and movies you are almost evangelical about.
  • Poopscoop

Those ones where if you find out a friend hasn’t watched it you feel a moral duty to convince them to go watch it! Right now!

For me, it’s BBC/HBO’s Rome as far as series go. About as close to feeling what it was like living in ancient Rome as you are ever likely to get. You need a shower at the end of each episode to wash the muc and intrigue off you. Fantastic stuff.

For movies it’s probably Interstellar. SF on a huge scale with some mind bending takes on what the galaxy has in store for us should our species last long enough to explore it.

What are you a little evangelical about?

yoshimi

The Bear

kilo

Closest would be Love / Hate.
    It’s the Irish “version” of The Wire maybe Mystery Road as a second.

Films is obviously Dodgeball & The Hangover , all aspects of the human condition in those two.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johndoh
    Free Member

TV: West Wing

Movie: True Romance

funkmasterp

The Wire
    Spiral
    First series of the original version of The Killing

soundninjauk

Back to the Future

Firefly

Bluey

chakaping
    Free Member

Still haven’t seen Interstellar. Is it on any streamers at the mo?

I have been raving about 30 Rock recently, can’t believe I didn’t discover it until last year. Best sitcom ever, for me.

soundninjauk

Still haven’t seen Interstellar. Is it on any streamers at the mo

Not obviously. I paid real money for it on Apple TV and it’s absolutely worth it, it’s utterly fantastic.

IHN

TV: In My Skin – recommended on here, I’d never heard of it, it is incredible. How it stayed under the radar I have no idea.

Closest would be Love / Hate.
    It’s the Irish version of The Wire

Just looked, it’s on ITVX, might give that a go

martinhutch

12 Monkeys. Not the film, although it is excellent, the series that ran on Syfy for five seasons. Starts off slow, but the last few series are so good, with a brilliant ensemble cast.

Never gets repeated, and I just can’t understand it.

Poopscoop

chakaping
    Free Member
    Still haven’t seen Interstellar. Is it on any streamers at the mo?

I *think* its included with Now TV?

Other than that it’s £3.49 from all the usual services.

Absolutely worth every penny. The violin has an odd start, feels totally at odds to what you might be expecting but stick with it, it’s setting the scene for later. The movie doesn’t rush, it’s more like a book in some ways and I mean that in the best possible way.

Harry_the_Spider

DREDD – They got it as close to the comic as the budget would allow.

UFO

Space 1999 (season 1)

Poopscoop

Harry_the_Spider
    DREDD – They got it as close to the comic as the budget would allow.

Fantastic movie, I’m still gutted it bombed, killing any chance of a sequel.

muzzle
    Free Member

Barry – just brilliant.

Also Bojack Horseman… but mainly Barry.

retrorick

Buffy the vampire slayer.
    Farscape.
    Lots of animé, kill la kill, gurren laggan, Hunter X Hunter.

chakaping
    Free Member

Barry – just brilliant.

Watched two episodes, really enjoyed it, then it seemed to disappear from Apple TV?

DrJ

The Wire
    Spiral
    First series of the original version of The Killing

What he said.

Would maybe now add Top Boy

willard

A tricky one. I’ve never really insisted that life was incomplete without a TV show, but I think both Spaced and Black Books _should_ be watched (if you like that sort of thing). I also really recommend the Adam Curtis documentaries. They are superb.

As for films, again, I have no hard and fast rules other than Apocalypse Now being possibly one of the best films ever made, with Alien being a strong contender. People _should_ watch Blazing Saddles for many reasons; for the satire, for the commentary on racism, for the epic story, for the superb cast, but mainly for the campfire beans scene.

WillH

Son of Zorn, superb live-action/animated sitcom that apparently no-one but me has ever heard of. Binged most of it on a Quantas flight to Melbourne, spent the entire weekend itching to get back on the plane to watch the last few episodes.

Film-wise, The Big Lebowski.

binners

Succession

The writing is utter and complete genius. All the characters are so well developed and all completely vile in their own special way. A definitive comment on modern late-stage capitalism

Worth watching purely for the insults, particularly from Brian Cox (not that one). Heres a run down of the sublime insulty, very sweary dialogue…

Apparently series 4 is all done and will be out in March. Can’t bloody wait!!! I might rewatch the pervious 3 series in preparation 😀

Blackflag
    Free Member

Then – Buffy

Now – Top Boy.

It actually annoys me how so many people have not yet watched Top Boy.

timmys

Spaced
    Six Feet Under – always gets overshadowed by Sopranos/The Wire as one of the original ‘boxset’ series.

sc-xc

The sitcom ‘Mum’. It’s just perfect.

maccruiskeen

TV – Ideal. I quite like how, like the wire the world its in grows – the wire starts on a street corner and grows to include the the whole city and its government. Ideal starts in Mos’s flat and slowly the world grows to include his loft, the inside of his immersion heater, the landing, the flat next door and eventually the flat upstairs. Same number of episodes as the Wire and over 100 characters

Film- The Fall. Theres quite a lot of films called ‘The Fall’ – The one I like is the one by Tarsem Singh. Anyone who likes the Princess Bride… the Fall is better. Its the same premise – a tale being told to a child and seen in their imagination. Except the Fall really looks like a child’s imagination. The kid doesnt wholly understand the story being told – so you hear a story but you see it transformed by a child’s ideas and different frames of reference.

timmys

Apparently series 4 is all done and will be out in March.

First trailer dropped yesterday in case you missed it…

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m just about 4 or 5 episodes into S1 of Succession, yes it is top-tier TV.

For those with kids aged 8(ish) and up, definitely check out Gravity Falls on Disney+

Very funny, clever animated series – like a junior Twin Peaks. Give it a try even if you don’t have kids.

pictonroad

Always sunny in Philadelphia / Band of Brothers

Smokey and the Bandit /In Bruges

*to suit the mood

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

TV : Wayne . I got a lot of people begging for a 2nd series of that!
    Film : was the original RoboCop. Made everyone I knew watch it -it was so original and different at the time.
    More lately : Deadpool

binners

First trailer dropped yesterday in case you missed it…

Thanks for that @timmys. That looks bloody brilliant! 😀

martinhutch

Always sunny in Philadelphia / Band of Brothers

Smokey and the Bandit /In Bruges

Wasn’t expecting SATB to pop up on this thread, alongside BoB. 🙂

I love a good caper movie though.

Poopscoop

Film-wise, The Big Lebowski.

Good call.👍

pondo

Ghosts.

I hardly dare whisper it, but…. The US version might actually be even better!

zilog6128

Always sunny in Philadelphia

one of my favourites, but despite being up to an incredible 15 seasons now (with at least 3 more ordered IIRC) only one guy I know has heard of it let alone seen it 😂 Too nihilistic for mass appeal I guess, it is incredibly funny though but also very sharp with the commentary on social issues etc. I think because it’s basically right at the back of the schedules they just let Rob McElhenney get on and do whatever he likes, some of the stuff they’ve done has elevated it beyond mere sitcom and into the realms of conceptual art 😃

multi21
    Free Member

Utopia, the C4 series.

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

The US version might actually be even better!

If “better” = “completely unwatchable”, then yep, you’re spot on!

pondo

If “better” = “completely unwatchable”, then yep, you’re spot on!

How much did you watch?

You didn’t finish the first episode, did you… 😉

reeksy

Utopia, the C4 series.

is that the same as the Australian version of the same name?

The Bureau is a French spy series. It’s what Le Carre would have written were he French.

Wellington Paranormal – hilarious Kiwi police spoof documentary

Educators – another Kiwi comedy.

Films:

The Hunt for the Wilderpeople – great with kids

Samson & Delilah – definitely not for kids

joefm

Yep I love IASIP, took a while to get into so thats the difficulty with sharing it.

Not sure there’s one thing I recommend. Used to be Breaking BAd, like everyone did and it became a Family guy joke. Would probably say Better Call Saul now. think

dc1988

I’d agee with In Bruges, also Superbad if you’re looking for something a bit childish and not too intense.

ji
    Free Member

Some already mentioned but…

The Wire – I love the expansion of the series to the system, the character development and the end of the last episode…

The Expanse – Sci fi done really well, amazing characters and in many ways as good as or better than the books (which is saying something as they are excellent too)

The West Wing – what politics should be. Feels dated in parts, but also prophetic

Dark – I know it is in German and is really tough to follow if you dont pay attention, but boy is it worth it. Ties up all the loose ends well, which TV can often fail to do).

Band of Brothers – just amazing and terrifying TV. Again the book is well worth a read

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 140 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.