Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • TV in bedroom….
  • Personally I’ve never had a TV in the bedroom not even at a teenager, her indoors had a TV in her room when she was a teenager back in the 80s.

Older age is setting (46) in and the children seem to spend most of their free time hogging the only TV we have in the house for the Xbox etc we’ve been pretty strict on only having one TV so far.

thoughts ???

nickjb

Its good. Quiet night in, early to bed, watch half a film or a family guy and fall asleep. Life is a roller-coaster sometimes! Don’t turn it on in the morning if you have plans to get up at some point, though. Its worth having something with iPlayer or some other on demand service so you aren’t tied to scheduled programming.

Also, assuming you don’t want a massive one, there are plenty in charity shops that’ll do the job if avoiding consumerism is one of your things. That’s where ours came from. Small scratch on the screen but you can’t see it when the tv is on.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

If you want one, get one. Don’t let yourself be influenced/swayed by other folks ideas.

johndoh

If you want one, get one. Don’t let yourself be influenced/swayed by other folks ideas.

This

FWIW, we have one in the bedroom (always have) but it rarely gets switched on.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Don’t let yourself be influenced/swayed by other folks ideas

Are you new here? I do not think so!

Premier Icon stumpyjon
    Subscriber

We set up an old telly in a spare room downstairs for Xbox duties, kids go in there or we do, it’s nice and cosy in there when its cold and dark outside. Do have one in the bedroom, don’t use it much, occasionally weekend mornings with a cup of coffee. Only line we’ve drawn us no Tv’s in the kids bedrooms, but with all the other screens they have the kids probably don’t care.

nickjb

Don’t let yourself be influenced/swayed by other folks ideas.

So should the OP follow this advice or not. I’m confused

*mentally counts the number of TVs in my house*

*wonders if 8 is too many and backs quietly away from the thread*

kid.a

Always had a TV in bedroom, it’s great. Have done since a kid, so now it’s part of my falling asleep routine! Not great if you ever sleep somewhere else that doesn’t have one though.

Get a firestick or chromecast for it though…Although there’s nothing better than Newsnight to send you to sleep

Premier Icon uniqueusername
    Subscriber

Never did as a kid, the one shared between my brother and I was in his room. We got one in a few years back when it was cold before we got a new boiler as it was nicer to sure under the duvet and watch TV than shiver in the front room. Is now stuck, it has become my other half routine to watch something to fall asleep to. And it’s my job to stay awake to switch it off or suffer some fitful sleep of auto playing episode after episode of Netflix until it rouses me enough to switch it off. Can’t wait until the bloody thing dies (TV).

PrinceJohn

Is there another room you can use for xbox?

kid.a

@uniqueusername

Most TVs have a sleep function. Every TV I’ve ever had has anyway. Set it to 30 mins, pop on something rubbish, happy days.

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

Does nobody else just use an iPad or other tablet in bed instead of the TV?

We set up an old telly in a spare room downstairs for Xbox duties

Spare room downstairs? Definitely on STW forum 😀

erictwinge

we have a bigger tele on the bedroom wall than we do downstairs!

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

You’re never stuck for a device to watch crap on in our house.
    We’ve had one telly in the lounge for a long time, but as we’ve just done up our study and added a small sofa bed in there, I’ve put a second smaller telly up on the wall (no sources apart from a firestick)…

I seem to be the main user of the second telly already, last night they were watching the Brits, the kids are often monopolising the lounge telly to play on the switch or watch youtube or other crap. or er’indoors wants to watch reality nonsense. Fortunately if I want to see something it’s normally streamable…
    We also now have an Echo show in the kitchen which you can watch stuff on as well, and several phones/tablets/laptops…

But no tellys in the bedrooms and kids tablets and phones get left downstairs at night… Different rules for grownups of course.

Premier Icon edhornby
    Subscriber

We have a second one downstairs, put in the kids playroom and guess who uses it most? yeah me whenever I’m watching the TdF or playing guitar 🙂

I tend not to watch stuff in bed but in the odd occasion that I do then use my phone and headphones, the beauty of all these bits of portable tech is that they don’t take up the space and power leads etc that a telly would.

toby1

Is no one else going to pick Perchy up on the humble brag? I don’t even have enough rooms to host 8 TV’s!

As for a TV in bedroom, not since I lived at home with my folks. Since being a grown up I’ve not had a need to watch TV in bed and with no kids it’s only my wife I need to agree on content with and she likes what I like most of the time too.

Premier Icon RicB
    Subscriber

We have a tv in the bedroom but rarely switch it on. Mainly because most tv is terrible and we can watch stuff on phones to avoid keeping the other awake.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

Surely ipad = bedroom telly these days. Or laptop. Or phone even.

Is no one else going to pick Perchy up on the humble brag?

If it’s any consolation I don’t have a TV in the ballroom.

I’m not a savage.

erictwinge

i like it on to fall asleep to too. my tv turns itself off after an hour of inactivity (with a pre-warning if your still watching)

erictwinge

Surely ipad = bedroom telly these days. Or laptop. Or phone even.

maybe for polishing the one wood, but cant stand watching a film on them tiny screens.

chewkw

thoughts ???

46 … young man.
    Get it and watch pron with wife. 😅

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

We have one. Great for collapsing into bed and falling asleep during the 10 o’clock news.

Less great when I’ve gone to bed to avoid watching something MrsMC wants to watch and she follows me upstairs, wakes me up, turns on the telly to watch whatever it was, starts snoring, then gets pissy when I turn it off as she thinks she was watching it. Your wife may vary.

We are lucky that we have space in our spare room for a second telly in there with the sofa bed. Might be an option instead

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I think I first had a TV in my bedroom was when I was about 12. 12″ black & white thing with a loop aerial, no channel buttons so you’d to retune it every time you wanted to watch something else. Was great fun trying to enter the copy protection colour codes for Jet Set Willy when you had to try and differentiate between four slightly lighter / darker shades of grey.

TBH I can’t think of a compelling reason not to, so long as they can be trusted not to be gaming at 3am. Maybe confiscate controllers at bedtime? My mate’s dad used to throw the breaker to his bedroom in the distribution unit when it was lights off time…

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Oh, wait, did you mean a TV in your bedroom? How’s that going to work, you go to bed leaving the kids up playing all night?

How’s that going to work,

Getting power from the dressing room could be problematic for a kickoff.

My mate’s dad used to throw the breaker to his bedroom in the distribution unit when it was lights off time…

Luckily, your mate eventually escaped by digging a tunnel through the wall behind his Raquel Welch poster and crawling through a sewer to freedom.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Top tip though – don’t put the huge wall mounted screen facing the large bedroom window and then watch Naked Attraction on catch up with the curtains open.

Really **** distracting to any bloke driving past taking his daughter to gymnastics training.

Premier Icon breadcrumb
    Subscriber

Can’t beat a bit of telly in bed. I wish I’d bought a one with Bluetooth though. I end up using my phone for Netflix, to be honest the screen looks bigger on my phone with holding it at arms length.

And we have 4 telly’s in the household, one in each front room, one in our bedroom and the other in what will be the games room when we get it finished.
    The kids are way too young for bedroom TVs yet.

I had a TV from about 7, maybe 8 then a master system the year after. Wasnt really an issue other than the occasional inappropriate watching of Aliens or Terminator 2 on ITV when I was older.

Premier Icon halifaxpete
    Subscriber

Not had a TV in my room since I moved out from ‘home’ a long long time ago, wifes not bothered either just got one in the lounge and one in the spare room for my gaming shiz.

Would be nice for the odd lazy sunday morning though I’ll admit!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.