Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Tv has packed up, recommendations to replace it
  • Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

My Sony TV has finally given up the ghost and I’m now looking to replace it.
    Generally I’ve always brought Sony but it seems that Samsung smart TV’s seem to get good reviews.
    Any recommendations welcome.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Swear by panasonic. Only because I’ve had a few, and never had a problem, I also like the picture, and the general build of them.

Samsung do make a nice TV though.

bearnecessities

Exactly same opinion, for same reason.^^

Worked in a related industry many moons ago and Panasonic was always the telly of choice. They’ve all got Hitachi parts anyhow!

footflaps

I thought Samsung made the LCD screens for pretty much all the makes (bar Sony)?

bearnecessities

Sorry, chips, processors etc.

RoterStern
    Free Member

+1 for Samsung. my parents got one a few years ago and it has been without problems in that time and we bought a stupidly huge one last week after our old Sony Trinitron packed up. Very easy to use/set up and the picture quality seems very good.

busydog
    Free Member

I have had both Panasonic (presently) and Samsung—-both plasma and both good TV’s–high picture quality on either, although I think the Panasonic is just a little better. Sound quality on either is OK, but hooking up some kind of sound system (5, 7 channel or soundbar, etc) vastly improves the quality.
    The Samsung did have an electronic glitch (while under warranty) that a tech came out and fixd (replaced something) in about 10 minutes.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Something cheap from Tesco.

JulianA
    Free Member

Panasonic here… Go to John Lewis (other shops are available) and look at lots of TVs at once: the Panasonics win hands down on skin tones. Decent app to go with them too…

waveydave
    Free Member

Replace the tv with a new bike. Historically panasonic have been leaders in the tv world.

neilthewheel

Why bother?

jekkyl

Panasonic here too, absolutely faultless. Try richer sounds for a trade in for your old tele & 50 quid for a five year warranty.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The Sony and Samsung panels are made at the same factory but split production lines, or something like it, so Sony TVs do not have Samsung panels.

I think the current Sonys are pretty decent, whereas I have yet to see a Samsung that has impressed me, and I have seen loads which I thought were gash.

Particularly I think their picture processing (upscaling, etc) is poor, and anything that isn’t good HD is mess to my eyes.

I always used to say Panasonic, but I read something that put me off, but for the life of me can’t think what it was 🙁 They are probably still a good bet though, and have been impressed with a few.

Personally I am not sure about Samsung reliability, but neither am I about Sony – so I always make sure I get a decent warranty – maybe John Lewis for the 5 year.

cb

Pick a size that you want, look at a range of reviews of last year’s models and then buy.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Try doing without for a few months. Not had a telly in about 5 years. Adverts really jar me now!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Got two Panasonic Plasmas that I like a lot, before that had a Samsung plasma that blew up after 4 years. Brother has a Samsung Smart LED which is all very whizzy but we rarely use any of the built in gizmos (although iPlayer works well) and I’m not a particular fan of the picture – but that could be a plasma/LED thing.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Adverts really jar me now!

How do you know if you’ve not had a telly for 5 years? 😕

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Visiting houses – other people’s tellies.

It’s just so gross, but we get used to it:

“BUY THIS/BUY THAT/IT’S GREAT WORKED FOR ME [and I’m paid to say this so who do you trust] WILL MAKE YOU MORE ATTRACTIVE/LOOK AT THIS CAR/LOOK THERE’S A WOMAN WITH SKIMPY CLOTHES/THIS WIDGET WILL MAKE YOUR OTHERWISE MEANINGLESS AND EMPTY LIFE FULFILLED “

“Now, back to My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding/Insert other lowest common denominator “entertainment” – SPONSORED BY OLD SPICE IT’S YOUR ONLY CHANCE OF GETTING LAID LADDO!!!!! SPEND SPEND SPEND”

Yep, really missing out 😉

FuzzyWuzzy

What’s your budget? Just got a 55″ Samsung F8000 myself, very impressed with it (although 3D stuff is pretty disappointing, glad I didn’t buy it for that). Cost me just over £1700 from John Lewis (after getting them to price match http://www.totaldigital.biz/ ). The new curved OLED Samsung have out is amazing but near enough £7k…

grum
    Free Member

When our telly broke we replaced it with a HD projector which only gets used for iPlayer, Netflix via Apple TV, iTunes rentals, downloaded stuff, or DVDs. No regrets – we love it.

Projected screen size is about 75 inches but we don’t have to have a big chavvy box dominating the room.

And no adverts is definitely a bonus.

loum
    Free Member

Go to John Lewis…

They are very helpful and knowledgeable .
    They also price-match.
    And they give you a free five year guarantee that they’ll actually honour, and have people you can speak to if there are any problems.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Projectors are they way to go, for sure. We just need the bulbs to be swapped for LED’s. Another year or two for mainstream, I think.

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

i’m with #gofasterstripes here, got rid of telly 5 years ago and its been brilliant. just use tinternet telly when required…

hammyuk
    Free Member

Panasonic for picture quality or Samsung for features – have one of each.
    The Samsung is the Samsung Series 5 F5500

simonlovell999
    Free Member

I’m also looking at a Panasonic plasma 42″. Don’t know whether to get from John lewis or richer sounds both same price and 5 year warranty.

FuzzyWuzzy

Panasonic for picture quality or Samsung for features – have one of each.
    The Samsung is the Samsung Series 5 F5500

Panasonic for plasma picture quality maybe but not for LED, depending on what model the Panasonic is it’s likely not fair to be comparing it to a 5500 series anyway

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Look at the Sonys as well, I was fairly impressed with their PQ from terrestial broadcasts.

Don’t discount the importance of accurate color rendition, and don’t be fooled into thinking a set has good PQ when it has a reflective ‘anti-glare’ coating, as this always tends to make the picture look better, but is a PITA as you can see the reflections in it.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Tv has packed up, recommendations to replace it’ is closed to new replies.