Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • TV Aerial Mystery
  • singlespeedstu

Can anyone explain this to me please.
    Moved into a new house and Sky cant connect us for a while due to reasons…
    There’s a socket for a TV aerial so I plugged the TV in to watch council TV in the mean time.
    TV worked straigh away and everything fine.
    Roll on a few days and it kept losing signal.
    Then it stopped working all together.
    No aerial ouside on the roof as they’re not allowed here so I went into the loft to see what was wha.
    No Aerial in site anywhere to be seen.
    Moved some of the insulation and found an aerial cable.
    One end goes into the wall roughly in line with where the socket is downstairs.
    Followed the cable the other way and eventualy found the other end not connected to anything. Just coiled up in a couple of loops.

How the hell did we get a signal and were able to watch TV for over a week.🤣

jimdubleyou

Maybe atmospheric conditions were conducive to radio wave propagation in the last week or so.

Whack an aerial on the end and it will be grand.

I used to live in Crystal Palace, nobody needed an aerial there either.

cogglepin

Strong signal area and it will literally work off the cable.
    Went to fit an extra aerial point a few months ago and asked the customer where the aerial was, there wasn’t one, they had been watching it using the cable only, for three years.
    Doesn’t explain why yours stopped working though!

singlespeedstu

Well I’ve never hear of this before.
    Bizarre
    Even more odd that it worked so well then just stopped

avdave2

I was doing a conference in Birmingham years ago and was having real issues with one of the top table mics, noise coming through on it even with the fader right down. In the end I had to physically unplug it and only connect it when the panelist was about o speak, as long as they were talking there wasn’t an issue so it worked, long evening for me though. In the morning leaving the venue I realised the rest of the block was the West Midlands police hq and the combination of the XLR cable and multicore were working as an aerial picking up their comms traffic.

When I was at the MOD there were occasions when the instrumentation teams had picked up radio signals when using really long cable runs

timmys

Aside, whichever muppet decided that Freeview = council TV rather than Sky lives in a completely different reality to me.

singlespeedstu

Before you get offended I’ve been watching council TV all my life.
    Never had Sky before and if they keep going the way they are we’ll not be bothering anyway
    I’m taking the piss out of myself not you.

rossburton
    Free Member

As above, used to live in Crystal Palace in the shadow of the masts. I never realised that a signal could be “too strong” before.

Jerome
    Free Member

Stick a metal coat hanger in the end of the aerial lead. Worked for me at uni.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘TV Aerial Mystery’ is closed to new replies.