Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • TV aerial issues!
  • cultsdave
    Free Member

Moved into our new house at the other week, Various TV sockets wired in around the house but the signal is rubbish. Went up into the loft to find there is no Aerial, my assumption is the signal we are getting is from the Coaxial cable running round the house and acting as an aerial hence the rubbish signal.
    My question is how do I find the cable end to attach the aerial to? I have been up in the loft and had a wee look around but no luck.

Cheers

RicB

Maybe there was a roof aerial that blew down and the previous owners never replaced it? Not much on terrestrial that isn’t on catchup/live stream nowadays

Maybe doesn’t help your situation but I spent ages trying to find the end of a coax in the loft and it was coiled up right in the corner under a load of insulation.

cultsdave
    Free Member

It’s a new build house, has never had an aerial fitted.
    My guess is that it will be similar to what you describe in that somewhere under all the loft insulation there will be a load of cable. Just finding it is the issue!

RicB

I think you’re right. Our prev house was a new build and a roof or loft aerial was extra so many people didn’t bother paying for it. There might be a booster/distribution thing in the loft.

All our electrics were marked on one of the house plans- have you looked through those? Failing that the site manager should be able to check with the electricians for you I’d imagine.

cultsdave
    Free Member

This is a new build but not done by a big developer, so is slightly different. I can easily email the developer and see what he says, but he is away just now. I have looked at the plans, unfortunately they just mark the socket points.
    Cheers

tthew

I’d take the face plate off one of the sockets first, just to check if there’s actually any cable installed!

cultsdave
    Free Member

I’d take the face plate off one of the sockets first, just to check if there’s actually any cable installed!

Done that, there definitely is.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Well I’d start by looking directly above the socket in the attic will probably narrow down the search area

And if your in the cults area you’ll probably find your getting durris with no aerial at all. We don’t have owt in back of TV and get good signal.

Dab stereo on other hand…..

cultsdave
    Free Member

Found the ends! Coiled up in the least accessible point in the loft!
    Next question is what aerial do I need? There are 4 TV sockets in the house with 4 coax cables ending in the loft.

bruneep

Fitted that in my sons loft. Points towards durris and works

https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-x-beam-aerial/30515

Joint together with a 4 to 1 connection box

cultsdave
    Free Member

Line powered splitters, are they any good or is it worth getting a mains powered one? This will involve getting power connection to the loft.

bruneep

https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-4-way-outdoor-splitter/89218

Just fit that cant see why you’d need power if that close to durris.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.

How To Wash Your Clothes in the Wil...
Singletrack Video Archive: How To Wash Your Clothes in the Wild (Survivalist Guide)