Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • TV above a fire place – will it all end in tear?
  • mrchrist

Looking to mount a tv on the wall in my lounge. One option is above the fire place which is currently gas but I may put a log burner in as well.

Anybody done this or am I being an idiot in thinking this is possible with some sort of heat proofing/protection in place?

zokes
    Free Member

Try it and see. If it doesn’t work, take pictures and let us know 😉

br
    Free Member

Stand a few candles there first, if they don’t melt you should be ok…

Although you’ll probably get stiff necks looking that high up.

mrchrist

ha ha. putting aside the stiff neck will it catch fire?????

samuri
    Free Member

Lots of the houses on our street have dirty great big TV’s over the fireplace. They all seem to be working fine when I’m walking the dog.

stgeorge

Too high

adrenalindaddy
    Free Member

I’ve got a tv above my log burner, been there a couple of years without any problems

I did stick a thermometer on the wall and cranked the fire up for a couple of hours to check what the temperature was like but its fine, don’t mind the tv being up high either, easier to see over the top of the laptop too

FuzzyWuzzy

I imagine it would be fine although when you switch to a log burner I guess you’d have to be wary of smoke particles going out the front and up inside the TV (it will likely be vented on the bottom). As others have said though, for me it would be too high up on the wall in such a location.

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

+ 1 for too high. Obviously depends on your fire place but a mate of mine has tv mounted above fire place. Looks good but i find if you watch it for any length of time you end up with a sore neck. Maybe i’m getting old.

mrchrist

YES!

Forge_Master
    Free Member

how can people say it’ll be too high? surley it depends on the size of the room, no?

orange
    Free Member

do you watch the tv standing up? if so fine

tv should really be at the same level as your eyes when watched

not stuck at high level like some chav ornament

grievoustim
    Free Member

Mine is mounted over mine but

It’s not a working fireplace

It’s not very tall

I’ve got the bottom of the tv overlapping slightly over the fireplace opening to allow viewing at the correct height (there’s no mantle piece or anything)

As mentioned above – TVs mounted up high are not great for cimfortable viewing really

blisterman1962
    Free Member

how can people say it’ll be too high? surley it depends on the size of the room, no?

No.

Unless you watch TV sat on a bar stool.

Forge_Master
    Free Member

tbh when i’m watching tv im slumped so my eye line is infact somewhere near inline with the top of the opposing wall.

where should my tv go? or should i just sit up straight like my mum always told me?

d45yth
    Free Member

+1000

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

For the heat argument, it shouldn’t be much of a problem – many do it and the heat through a proper chimney will be easily managable by the TV. Most important is making sure you have a proper anchor point to stick to.

For the height, official answer is generally:

Your “eyes” should be about 1/3 of the way up the screen. When sitting in my couch, my eyes are about 37″ from the ground. Based on that, you’d want the bottom of the set to be about 20″ from the ground.

E=eye height
    S=screen height
    B=bottom of TV

E-(S/3)= B
    37 – (50/3)= 20.3

Otherwise as others said you will have it too high for long periods, unless you lay down or slouch alot. If you are intent on it, to really capture the chav look you should have the cables just dangling behind the TV not chased into the wall. And the box for the TV should be left in the garden for about a month

cloudnine
    Free Member

According to the formula you should just stand it on top of the log burner. You cant disagree with a formula. Besides.. what could possibly go wrong?

tonyd

So if your eyes are 1/3 of the way up the screen and 37″ from the ground, and your TV is 20″ from the ground, that means that 1/3 of the height of your screen is 17″. So your TV is 51″ high?

My back of the fag packet calculations show that your TV display size is in excess of 100″? I’m not sure I could fit one of those in my living room! 🙂

Edit: Assuming a 16:9 ratio it’s 104″

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Above fireplace here – no issues although the fire is “for show” and only been used a dozen times in last few years
    The too high issue is a non event in my experience as I dont mind it high up, you sit in the cinema and look up dont you?
    Infact when I’m slouched on the couch with my head back I find it spot on.

If you want a pic email me as I don’t want flaming

Oh go on then

mrchrist

Brilliant thanks Mattzzzz

aracer
    Free Member

you sit in the cinema and look up dont you?

No. Not if you’re sensible enough not to get a seat at the front – tried that once and got a stiff neck.

br
    Free Member

The too high issue is a non event in my experience as I dont mind it high up, you sit in the cinema and look up dont you?

No. Look straight from the good seats 🙂

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Hold on while i just drop all my pictures around my house to dado rail height

aracer
    Free Member

Do you spend long periods of time on your settee staring at your pictures then?

molgrips
    Free Member

Surely only if your body is in a vertical position? Personally mine is at around 45 degrees when watching telly so my high up telly is in the perfect spot. If it were lower down I’d have to crane my neck DOWNwards to see it like you do at my parents.

unless you lay down or slouch alot

Of course I slouch. It’s not called a lounge for nothing!

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Cheers Molgrips a bit of support

Hurrah for us slouchers

aracer
    Free Member

Cheers Molgrips a bit of support

The issue is surely a lack of support?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘TV above a fire place – will it all end in tear?’ is closed to new replies.