Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • tuscany cycling
  • easygirl

ive talked my wife into a riding holiday, she is physically fit but not into anything too technical after a bad fall
    was looking on internet for off road /easy touring holiday in tuscany, but very very expensive
    anyone got any experience of DIY trips in that area, would be a leisurley, 30 mile a day stop off for food on route/sightseeing type holiday?

Mackem

Why Tuscany?

Roulercoaster
    Free Member

Tuscany is magnificent for cycling on road. As for off road i’m not sure about proper MTB but the do have miles of the ‘strada bianci’ (white roads) which are gravel tracks linking towns and villages so sound ideal for what you want. (cant comment on the access etc though)

http://www.italiancyclingtours.com/tour/eroica/page/route

Ideally you want to be based in the Chianti region i would suggest.

SwissSchali
    Free Member

http://www.swiss-base.com/business.asp?Company=Albergo+Podere+Massa+Vecchia&City=Massa+Marittima&MainID=592

my dad goes there for years his bike club based in switzerland bike there for years , iwas nearby in september and it looks very good

RoterStern
    Free Member

Why Tuscany?

Because it’s an absolutely beautiful region with perfect weather in summer. Like someone has already said it’s more famous for its road riding than MTB.

easygirl

i was thinking road/tracks, not mtb trauils, just to link villages together

patentlywill
    Free Member

Pienza Montichiello Montalciono Montepulciano are stunning places and the strada bianchi run between them – anywhere in the Val D’Orcia. Google these and you should get a feel for the area. Also get hold of a Kompass 1:50000 Map (Pienza-Montalcino Monte Amiata Map 653) and plan some routes. I went there a few years ago and can’t wait to go back – it’s a beautiful area.
    Clicky link

mildred

I had my honeymoon there and rode quite a bit 😛

We were base in San Baronto between Pistoia & Vinci, and there is miles upon miles of MTB trails, all very good. For those who don’t know any better, Tuscany is a VERY hilly region with some fantastic countryside, stupendous restaurants and incredibly cheap wine. I suggest contacting Sshockwave cycles (mountain & beach holidays) of Ruddington near Notts who used to (and still may) run holidays out of Vinci (birthplace of Leonardo).

mildred

Oops double post.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I spent 3 months just above Florence with my bike as sole transport. Roads and drivers were great. The village I stayed in nearly adopted me. Riding out from the airport in Pisa to Florence, I stopped at a cafe and was ushered through to the cyclist’s snug. Walls were plastered with biking memorbilia, gorged myself on a great lunch for a handful of Lira.

Tuscany is beautiful, I feel the need to go back someday.

I was really lucky finding a great place to stay for the summer. It was a run down farmhouse owned by the Ferragamo family. It nestled below Fiesole with no access road, but great views down to the city.

Here’s a pic from the kitchen door

Pic from the terrace looking down to Florence

BigTed
    Free Member

The l’eroica route is signposted/waymarked so reckon there’s plenty that you could do to fit your description. I think there will be a map on the website ( in fact go to http://www.eroica-ciclismo.it/english/home.asp then click on the Roads tab on the left for more details on each route).

theyEye
    Free Member

I do a few days in val d’orcia every year with my wife, who doesn’t usually bike at all. Beautiful places, beautiful wine. Highly recommended.

easygirl

thanks for all replies, theres some great ideas to be looking at

couldgetacarforthat
    Free Member

I work in Lucca from time to time. Its beautiful and food is best in the world IMHO. My only comment is that you are looking at very warm summers (high 30’s). Not good for Anglo Saxon / Celtic folk.

Make sure you are fully acclimatised to get the best out of your break or leave the mid day sun to the mad dogs. I find it seriously sapping.

footstomper
    Free Member

I have had some fantastic Cycling Holidays over the years both On and Off Road in quite a few different countries, but if I had to pick one as the best all round for the roads, people, food and views it would definitely be Tuscany 8) 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘tuscany cycling’ is closed to new replies.