Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Turntable recommendations for home DJ set up
  • braddersrm
    Free Member

Currently have a digital set up using Traktor but I miss having a turntable, plus I have a few records, and can’t seem to find digital versions for certain records so thinking of getting a turntable to add to the set up.

Previously I would have just gone for Technics 1200/1200’s where choosing anything other than that would have looked amatuer amongst the serious DJ’s! That being said, I’ve been out of the loop for a while now and understand that they don’t make a DJ turntable anymore. What’s a good option these days? I’m not huge into scratching so not looking for a scratch deck but still want something that is a solid build, good audio quality and a reasonable price.

I’ve seen you can get decks with USB to record the record to digital, is this just gimmicky or is there a better way to record the record to digital? Is second hand a sensible option?

dannybgoode

They have started making 1210’s again but they’re pricey.

Personally I’d go for a second hand pair of Technics – nothing else comes close.

braddersrm
    Free Member

Cheers Dannybgoode, I’ve seen loads for sale. They do everything I need really and I know they’re quality, unless the seller has complety abused them. Is there anything to look out for in an old 1210 that you know of?

dannybgoode

They’re pretty bombproof to be fair. I’d rather see any pair I was buying just to check the obvious things like damage to the tone arm etc.

That said a good eBay seller with decent feedback should be ok also.

My BiL is selling his but my friend (who owned them originally – long story) has first dibs. Happy to enquire over price etc.

braddersrm
    Free Member

Thanks, I appreciate the offer however jut getting some ideas/advice for the time being. I just looked up the new 1200’s, pricey indeed but look good!

zbonty

There are other TT brands but in terms of recommendations it’s got to be1210s. Industry standard for a reason.
    Quality kit, but prices have gone up a lot since they ceased production. Also the resurgence in vinyl/hipster tax may be involved.
    I thought Pioneer were doing a copy version and the Stanton’s will certainly do the job though.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ive had my 1200 mk2s for 19 years, i blew my first student Loan on them and lived off bread and handouts for 3 months. They are still one of the best although I think from mk 5 they have digital pitch which a friend has. It’s nicer, more accurate and backlit.

grantyboy
    Free Member

was in a similar boat, watched a set of 1210’s go for £1,700 on eBay that was local to me. They are going for crazy money now.
    So the patent on Technics ran out and a new batch of OEM decks are out which are basically Technics under the hood.

Reloop 7000 or 8000 with midi controls
    Stanton 150s
    Pioneer PLX 1000
    Denon VL12

Pick one of the above depending what you want/budget. I went for a pair of Pioneer PLX 1000 which are just like a set of 1210 mk5’s. Blindfolded I doubt I could tell the difference

stilltortoise
    Free Member

About 20 years ago I bought some Vestax PDT-5000s for similar money to SL1210s. I still have them and they’re solid bits of kit, but I will always regret not getting the Technics.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Blindfolded I doubt I could tell the difference

Ah but can you feel the difference when doing 3 click flares or hamster orbits on the upfader?

DezB
    Free Member

Reloop RP-7000s favoured by the junglist massive 😉

Back To The Future Part 1

When this baby hits 88 BPM… you're gonna see some serious shit!! Twitch Scratches up Back to the Future……

Posted by Junglist Network on Friday, December 29, 2017

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

love his weed stash box

braddersrm
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice. Some of the brands mentioned here are what I have seen mentioned in magazine reviews but not done much searching on real time usage. I always flat shared with people that had 1210’s when younger so never had some myself but used them extensively. Later on I had a set of Vestax PDX 2000 which were bomb proof, borrowed them from a mate for a while. I believe he still has them and theyre going strong by all accounts. Always preferred the look and feel of the Technics though. I read that many turntables now have the same internals and that brands add their own brand prices to them.

As grantyboy says about doing a blind fold test, I need to not get sucked into the power of the branding if there is a cheaper product that is equally as good or if not better

braddersrm
    Free Member

Find myself being drawn to the Reloop RP7000 at the moment. Don’t need the extras of the 8000 and many people got many postives to say about this turntable

grantyboy
    Free Member

I was the same about the 7000 mk2’s (8000 do a strange power down thing so put me off) but then adding in dust covers etc brought them close to Pioneer money. I was set on a DJM 750 mk 2 for the mixer so thought it would be cool to go for an all Pioneer setup.

Very impressed with Pioneer, I’d buy them again. But would have saved myself a small fortune if I never sold my Technics all those years ago…

plyphon
    Free Member

The Pioneer turntables are alright tbh. They’ve got some in Phonica and they seem well made and I’ve heard they’re fine to play on.

But they’re quite expensive new.

I thought you could still get 1200s/1210s for about £500? 1700 seems ridic.

They made them right up until they discontinued them (hang on, that sounds obvious but bare with me) so if you’re lucky you’ll find a pair from 2007 rather than 1997. Mine are from 2005/6 I think if I remember, i’m the second owner, they’re mint.

djtom
    Free Member

You should be able to pick up a decent pair of 1200/1210s for about £900 – have a look on ebay, there’s plenty to choose from.

Coincidentally, that’s what I paid for mine brand new in 1998. Still got them, still love them 🙂

braddersrm
    Free Member

I have considered the Pioneer too but I believe that these are one of those brands that uses the same internals (Hanpin Super OEM I think) as a lot of the other builds but have a heftier price tag as it’s Pioneer, and less bells and whistles as the Reloop or Audio Technica which apparently use the same internals. That being said, I like the look of them too and not many complaints from users. I really need to get some hands on time with a few of them. My knowledge of new turntables has grown massively in the last few days though!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Turntable recommendations for home DJ set up’ is closed to new replies.