Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Turning normal frame to a cargo bike (xtracycle?)
  • mick_r

Talking of frame mount front racks – I just finished this to go with a long head tube / short 700c fork combo. One of those pop up rubber washing up bowls will be the crate.

matt_outandabout
    p7eaven
    Free Member
    mick_r

You’ve properly sent me down a wormhole…..
    Trego

Kiffy

Like a Crust but not and with e-assist

ratherbeintobago

That Clydesdale fork is pretty cool, problem with anything ‘off the shelf’ is the horrifying amounts of money involved. How much would it cost to have a frame builder custom make a modern ‘butcher’s bike’, I wonder?

p7eaven
    Free Member

Like a Crust but not and with e-assist

Take my money.

kayla1
    Free Member

This thread’s ace, there are some very clever and imaginative people out there 😎

wzzzz
    Free Member

Can you not just get an old rigid hardrock or something, drop the 400mm fork out and fit a 29er 475mm length fork.

Fit a 20″ front wheel and the bikes geometry would be retained. Not sure about trail figures though if you got a steel fork you could bend it to adjust.

Then look for a big rack for 20″ bikes that would fit to the axle and fork.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Oh I forgot about that Husky conversion! Seems it stalled after it failed crowdfunding but isn’t dead in the water, £540 though. Still, stacks up well next to a Clydesdale!

Can you not just get an old rigid hardrock or something, drop the 400mm fork out and fit a 29er 475mm length fork.

Fit a 20″ front wheel and the bikes geometry would be retained. Not sure about trail figures though if you got a steel fork you could bend it to adjust.

I did the calcs the other week wondering the exact same thing, you would need to reduce the offset to 15mm, no 29er fork goes that low. Not sure bending is an option for that amount of adjustment.

ratherbeintobago

How much would it cost to have a frame builder custom make a modern ‘butcher’s bike’, I wonder?

The answer appears to be £2300

wzzzz
    Free Member

Here you go, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Just ignore the second review

https://shopee.sg/Fork-cargo-Fork-Fixed-federal-mtb-Bike-Fork-Black-i.348801552.3868699361

scud
    Free Member

Ooohh wzzz, that looks just the job, going to give that a go, Inbred frame i have is 26″ rear and has v-brake mounts… so would match the fork, for that price may be worth the risk

Olly
    Free Member

xtracycle conversion always struck be as a bit shady. They have no control over how the donor frame was designed, but you can be sure it wasnt designed to have the leverage of having the wheel 50cm further back. No Ta.

Cargo bikes are great though, we are seeing a real surge in them round here which always makes me smile.
    People always asking after ours outside nursery, and i know of a few people who have bought them off the back of seeing it.

TiRed

<blockquoteJust ignore the second review

Hard not to!!!

scud
    Free Member

Come on TiRed, not like you really need the steerer!

Well i have ordered one for a giggle, plus down the road from me is an old Kona Lava Dome, for v-brakes, so going to go with 26″ rear, the 20″ front, and have a set of original XTR v-brakes in garage somewhere.

Any one recommend a 26″ and 20″ wide, tough slick tyres?

trail_rat
    Free Member

xtracycle conversion always struck be as a bit shady.

Somewhat less shady than the shopeee federal fork it seems. Quality review.

My xtracycle is mounted on a Kona sutra for that reason. Tough as old.boots touring gas pipe.

slowol

For cargo tyres in mixed sizes either Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour (maximum words per tyre name) or Big Apples. Big Apple is slicker, Marathon better puncture resistance.

PS xtracycle worked fine on a ’92 Rockhopper save for the rate of attrition on 1inch headset bearings. I think tandems sometimes have, or had this problem too before the move to larger aheadsets.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Surely that Federal fork is the problem Headlocks were always trying to solve?

I spotted an Xtracycle type contraption on eBay on my night shifts but I’ll be buggered if I remember what it was called. Cycle Extra or something like that, was about 220 quid and pick up only in Cambridge or Canterbury or something. Sorry, not much use I know but hopefully it’s still there and someone can find it.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Any one recommend a 26″ and 20″ wide, tough slick tyres?

Don’t know about ‘slick’ but Schwalbe do a cargo tyre named the ‘Pick-Up’ in both those diameters and up to 2.35”

There’s also the Big Ben Plus but not so wide at 2.1”

for that price may be worth the risk

😳

squirrelking
    Free Member

Found it!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294506798467?hash=item4491f91d83%3Ag%3AcG4AAOSwwSNhfR0c&LH_ItemCondition=3000

Really not as good as I remember but still handy I guess.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Just saw a video in my feed and remembered this thread.

Mid-90’s Specialized Hard Rock being converted to utility use with a Crust Clydesdale cargo fork and Surly Corner Bars and 1x.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Turning normal frame to a cargo bike (xtracycle?)’ is closed to new replies.