Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 255 total)
  • Turning Bike Upside Down to Fix Punctures?
  • hilldodger
    Free Member

Upside down to remove, right way up to replace – just to be different…..

mjsmke

The only reason i wouldn’t do mine upside down is due to the fork lockout on the bars (its only plastic), and air can work its way into the callipers, and i don’t want to scuff my seat.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Is there another way than upside down? 😯

njee20
    Free Member

Unless of course your upper body is so under- developed that you have to wait for someone else to come along and help.

Hopefully not, because at least two people have said they refuse to help friends unless they turn their bike upside down. It seems that’s the snobbery…

kudos100
    Free Member

Gravity works both ways you know, if you put the bike onto the wheel it’ll fall into place, and be in straight. It’s definitely not roadie bullshit, tis quicker and some find it easier, you presumably are not one of these people

Yes, but you have to hold the bloody bike and hold the wheel at the same time! With the bike upside down the bike stays put and all you have to do is guide the wheel into the dropouts! One moving thing rather than two!

I cannot believe I am debating over something that is pure logic. 😕

theboatman
    Free Member

Obviously there are a few things to remember when you have fixed your puncture.

rs
    Free Member

maybe this has been answered, can’t be bothered reading six pages, but what do you do with it once you have the wheel off if you’ve not flipped it? surely you don’t lay it on the ground some other way, think of the damage! bent rear mechs, scratched chainstays 😯

scaredypants

see, she’s cleverly rotated the bars so that the grips aren’t touching the floor

I_Ache
    Free Member

Gravity works both ways you know

No it definitely always goes down.

It must take me all of half a second to flip my bike. I can’t see how 1 second is going to hurt when I am mincing around Cannock Chase and it takes me about 3-5 mins to repair a puncture.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

therag
    Free Member

Oh noooo, iv found some scratches on my brakes from performing this act!
    Never fear, I know some where I can sell them.

Generic pics to follow 😉

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I’ve worked in bike shops and we also never turned the bikes upside down to work on them, BECAUSE WE HAD A **** BIKE STAND.

If you don’t turn your bike upside down it’s because you are a ****. How is that for sweeping generalisations, about as accurate as the cyclist vs people that ride bikes comment. Furthermore the shite about mechanical sympathy, I hate it when people use the wrong tool or something touches a stanchion etc. but moddy coddling your bike and being scared of scratching a lever is a completely different kettle of fish.

nikk
    Free Member

Give humans two choices, and they will argue for an eternity about which is the right one.

Next week – which side of the path do you cycle on?
    Week after – Right or left for front brake lever?
    Week three – ball or aerosol?

scaredypants

nikk – Member
    Give humans two choices

Fascinating, but we’re all arguebots
    *taps screen*
    are you … a … person ?

nikk
    Free Member

arguebots

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do

I’m half crazy, all for the love of you

It won’t be a stylish marriage,

I can’t afford a carriage

But you’ll look sweet, upon the seat

Of a bicycle built for two*

* as long as you don’t turn it upside down to fix punctures

druidh
    Free Member

Dave?

nikk
    Free Member

Look druidh, I can see you’re really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

relliott6879
    Free Member

😯 Seven pages? Seven? Dear God…

reevil
    Free Member

Seven pages is one thing.

Seven pages in nine hours? Dear oh dear.

druidh
    Free Member

scoob67
    Free Member

pfffft…. imagine getting off to fix something, bunch of poofs.
    but there again,there’s the simple amazement to be had by flipping over and making it go as fast as you can without hurting someone (dont even kid on you’ve never done it)

Pook

this has to be the most desperately depressing thread I’ve ever read on here.

Get. A. Life.

zokes
    Free Member

This in an exciting example of just how low this forum has stooped. I am actually astounded that people care even remotely enough to argu about it. As above:

Get. A. Life.

Zoolander
    Free Member

Initiate bike stands up on its own device – Flip

teethgrinder

Personally – I find that on the current bike (2001 FSR running an SLX rear mech) it’s easier to locate the wheel upside down, right the bike, back off the skewer so that the hub locates properly in the dropout, then tighten.

Although I’m more than happy if people put the wheel in with the bike the other way up so they don’t scratch anything – more aesthetically pleasing second-hand parts… 😆

MussEd
    Free Member

7 pages? (hope this waste of effort takes it to 8!)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I shall develop a gadget to prevent scratches while the bike is upside down

Pook

I think its called ‘grass’ teej

khani
    Free Member

This in an exciting example of just how low this forum has stooped. I am actually astounded that people care even remotely enough to argu about it. As above:

+1 it’s embarrassing… 😕 Wgaf…

Zoolander
    Free Member

No need TJ. It’s They’ve already been invented and are called mountain bike gloves. They are nearly always multipurpose and can fit over grips or under bars perfectly whilst leaving hands free from gloves for maintenance.
    I don’t know why gloves don’t seem to state this on their instructions.

druidh
    Free Member

Those complaining about the number of posts need to (a) actually read the thread to see the humour and (b) remember that the front page polls are designed to solicit discussion and therefore increase the page hit rate 🙂

kayak23

Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Seven pages… STW @@@@wits all over… 🙂

jota180
    Free Member

If you turn your bike upside down to do trailside repairs, how on earth would anyone passing be able to read your name and country flag on the top tube without too much neck twisting?

😉

wwaswas

Regardless of which way up the bike is I think we can all agree that the proper location for the bike is at 90 degrees to the direction that other trail users will be travelling and across the narrowest point for 200 yards in either direction.

RealMan
    Free Member

I find that on the current bike (2001 FSR running an SLX rear mech) it’s easier to locate the wheel upside down,

Where’s the wheel? I can’t find it anywhere. Ctrl + Alt + down – ah, there it is.

TooTall
    Free Member

This in an exciting example of just how low this forum has stooped

Glass houses. Comments like that nearly always lead me to look at the ‘threads started’ by a person.

😥

zokes
    Free Member

Glass houses. Comments like that nearly always lead me to look at the ‘threads started’ by a person.

Glass houses indeed – not seeing much inspiring in yours 🙄

BruceWee

I always turn my bike upside down to fit new cranks using a rock.

I don’t fix punctures on the trail, I simply manual or endo all the way home.

teethgrinder

RealMan – Member

I find that on the current bike (2001 FSR running an SLX rear mech) it’s easier to locate the wheel upside down,

Where’s the wheel? I can’t find it anywhere. Ctrl + Alt + down – ah, there it is.

That’s not my bike, though it is similar… 😆

njee20
    Free Member

Aah, I had a 2001 S-Works FSR like that one up there. The Horst pivot did protrude quite a lot on the inside of the chainstay, but it was still far easier with the bike the right way up!

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 255 total)

The topic ‘Turning Bike Upside Down to Fix Punctures?’ is closed to new replies.