Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 255 total)
  • Turning Bike Upside Down to Fix Punctures?
  • brakes
    Free Member

what if you get a double flat?

pro’s mechanics don’t have to fix anything though do they. they’re just changing the wheel.

smell_it
    Free Member

It’s like watchings rats trapped in a maze with no exit 😐

cynic-al
    Free Member

grum – the mech is well up to supporting the bike, as long as nothing silly happens.

And yes, putting the axle thru on teh 20mm fork is no bother.

Looks like I’ll have to do a video…any “upside-downers” care to do the same?

I genuinely find it easier, but I’ve been doing it for 20+ years.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    twinklydave

Dave you also sound like a right ponce

SIR, that, quite flagrantly, is in no way the case. It offends my very soul to hear such fallacy.

[flounces]

bigjim

Stupid thread. I pretty much always put the bike upside down to take the wheels in and out. I find it funny watching people scrabble to put the wheel in with the bike the right way up.

twinklydave

He would probably turn the bike upside down.

He is under strict instructions to simply destroy the bike and start again from scratch, so as to avoid the problem.

patriotpro
    Free Member

I say tom-a-to, you say tomato, etc….

+1 Terrahawk

brakes
    Free Member

I genuinely find it easier, but I’ve been doing it for 20+ years.

have you been repeating yourself yourself for 20 years?

skywalker
    Free Member

Grow the _____ up, who cares!?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

To be honest I don’t feel like turning mine the right way up ever again.

kudos100
    Free Member

5 pages ffs

Yep. It is amazing how people will argue with common sense and logic. I always forget that on STW people are right, even when they are talking complete bollocks.

I’m off to organise my sock draw.

GW
    Free Member

Stepping off the back of the bike while it’s still moving, raising bars and allowing the bike to roll through into a manual to upside down has got to be as quick as what you’re suggestong Al?

My outer lock on collars have no anodising left from riding and have no other shite attached to my bars to damage.

BMX = upside down
    Roadie = Upright
    IME only insecure little white sock wearing gimps will feel the need to verbally justify holding onto dated roadie rituals while riding mtbs off road.

spooky_b329

ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod…I just looked at my Hope levers, and you wouldn’t imagine the damage I have done to them over the last, ooh, SEVEN years…

IMG_0467

It bothered me so much I just went and got a permanent marker, and now its practically invisible 😀

BadlyWiredDog

ffs, if you flat, throw the bike away and get a new one. it’s ruined. when did you last see a Pro Tour rider at the side of the road changing a tube? If you can’t afford to do that, you shouldn’t be riding a bike.

I’m not saying you should waste the old bike, you can maybe use unmarked bits for spares, but mostly once a bike’s been ridden more than a few miles, it’s only fit for the skip etc…

spooky_b329

Fixed! Phew…no one will ever know…

IMG_0468

brakes
    Free Member

I just went and got a permanent marker, and now its practically invisible

prove it

EDIT: he did! 😀

spooky_b329

Now all that will happen is when I turn the bike over, I will get permanent black smudges on the dining room carpet 😆

bedmaker

Doesn’t everyone carry a rolled up piece of astroturf?
    I always have a bit in the camelbak and my shifters are pristine even though I am a turner upside downer..

Mind you, since going tubeless 6 years ago I’ve only had two punchirs.

Would now be a good time to ask a stupid headset question?

patriotpro
    Free Member

spooky_b329 – That’s hilarious and sums the thread up.

Good work 😆

leffeboy

Fixed! Phew…no one will ever know…

Quick, get ’em on the classifieds

weirdnumber
    Free Member

Didn’t expect this thread to still be going when I got in from work. Any mention of Page 88 of Issue 73 yet?

FWIW I’m a bike flipper.

njee20
    Free Member

I can’t believe this is still going on! If I’m not mistaken, I’ve not actually said anything ‘snobby’ about flippers, merely that I find it harder, and it’s slower, and you risk damaging the bike.

Still, always nice to incur the wrath of half the forum!

cynic-al
    Free Member

GW – Member
    Stepping off the back of the bike while it’s still moving, raising bars and allowing the bike to roll through into a manual to upside down has got to be as quick as what you’re suggestong Al?

My outer lock on collars have no anodising left from riding and have no other shite attached to my bars to damage.

BMX = upside down
    Roadie = Upright
    IME only insecure little white sock wearing gimps will feel the need to verbally justify holding onto dated roadie rituals while riding mtbs off road.

Oh dear, you fix punctures in the middle of the trail? Isn’t that the sort of thing gnarly gobshites AWESOME riders like you hate?

Why is it you do the whole “I’m like this in real life” thing, but are perfectly polite to me in real life?

skywalker
    Free Member

Why is it you do the whole “I’m like this in real life” thing, but are perfectly polite to me in real life?

Classic keyboard warriorism innit.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well I didn’t like to say…

falkirk-mark

I always turn my bike upside down to make sure its sitting on the bell end

Speshpaul

“It is truly amazing, I didn’t realise that bike snobbery/one upmanship could extend to how you change a puncture. Incredible.”

I’m truly amazed how easy it is to take the p*** on here these days!
    Throw in a few crass comments and its all handbags at dawn!
    I’ve finish hiding from work, been out for a “proper” ride with “proper” riders on “proper” trails. (No bikes were harmed or intentionally inverted)
    And you are still all upset.
    I think theres only been one mention of troll back on the 1st page. Come on.
    Fire in the hole boyz:-)

GW
    Free Member

Where did I say anything about stopping in the middle of a trail? And for that matter, where above was I impolite to YOU?

You’ve only met/spoken to me once Al, you don’t know me at all..

(IIRC you only said about 3 sentences).

druidh
    Free Member

Or was it the same one 3 times?

skywalker
    Free Member

Only joking GW, its actually the curse of the internet, everyone does it.

nikk
    Free Member

I whip my bike upside down so I can scrub the wheels clean.

On concrete slabs.

Am I special enough yet 😀

BTW, resting the bike right side up on its derailleur is just so wrong to me. The chain and mech sitting in the dirt getting filled with mud and scratched up on rocks? Why? To save some £10 grips and a £50 saddle? Neither of which are mechanical things! Upside down seems much more mechanically sympathetic to me.

cynic-al
    Free Member

GW – Member

Doesn’t imply stopping in the middle of the trail?

GW

Ah, so you phrased this with sufficient ambiguity (in your mind) to not be aimed at me? And you’ve never been impolite to me on here?

I know you talk like you are a good rider but I’ve never seen back-pedalling that fast.

GW – Member
    You’ve only met/spoken to me once Al, you don’t know me at all..

(IIRC you only said about 3 sentences).

Ditto.

grum
    Free Member

I’m truly amazed how easy it is to take the p*** on here these days!
    Throw in a few crass comments and its all handbags at dawn!
    I’ve finish hiding from work, been out for a “proper” ride with “proper” riders on “proper” trails. (No bikes were harmed or intentionally inverted)
    And you are still all upset.
    I think theres only been one mention of troll back on the 1st page. Come on.
    Fire in the hole boyz:-)

muddyfunster
    Free Member

jesus. where is the button.

njee20
    Free Member

See now I assumed that was aimed at me, and was amused that GW was hurling pathetic insults around because I don’t conform to his way of doing things. I’m just not awesome enough **sigh**

kudos100
    Free Member

BMX = upside down
    Roadie = Upright

Ahhh it makes sense now. Some archaic roadie bullshit that people cling to pretending that it is easier, when in fact it is an excuse so you don’t get your bar tape dirty and scratch you levers. Give me strength.

I knew it couldn’t be to do with common sense as those with an understanding of gravity can plainly see that it is logical to do it with the bike upside down.

njee20
    Free Member

Gravity works both ways you know, if you put the bike onto the wheel it’ll fall into place, and be in straight. It’s definitely not roadie bullshit, tis quicker and some find it easier, you presumably are not one of these people!

GW
    Free Member

Nope I never stop on the mainline (comes from 20 yrs DH track etticate)

..and Not being the stalker you seem to be I didn’t even know you had white socks or a gimp suit.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

lame 🙄

imnotverygood

Just how long does it take you to turn a bike over? Unless of course your upper body is so under- developed that you have to wait for someone else to come along and help.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 255 total)

The topic ‘Turning Bike Upside Down to Fix Punctures?’ is closed to new replies.