Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Turner RFX – reviews and pics please
  • spokeydokey
    Free Member

Have an option on building one for the alps this summer.

hear that they are lovely and looking forward to getting my hands on it!

any STW reviews and pics to keep me going?

cheers

jack
    Free Member

Not an RFX, but had a six-pack. Far too much bike for my local riding and couldn’t justify keeping it for the one or two trips a year where it would get used, but I wish I’d kept it. Absolutely bombproof 🙂

perks

well…I’ll tell you when I’ve actually ridden it in anger..but its first pootle to the shops was an absolute joy – no lumbering squelchy full suss but a surprisingly light and agile bike …I was amazed…I really wasn’t expecting it to be as good!

doof_doof
    Free Member

I came from a 575, and the RFX is awesome, much more capable than I!

Looking forward to taking it to the Alps again this yesr, this time with Saints to stop me (no more boiling brakes…yay)

hicksville
    Free Member

I had a 2001 version best bike I ever owned…..cannot go wrong with them

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2002 one that I picked up in 2004. Since then I’ve hammered the crap out of it, and it’s just laughed at me for the most part.

Mine is a heavy beast – 9.5lb frame, but it’s a remarkably good climber – especially on technical stuff and downhill it can embarass much bigger machinery.

Aside from that the “ownership experience” has been excellent. The bushings last for a couple of years so bar squirting some grease in every few rides maintenance has been minimal, and when I’ve needed spare parts, whilst Roundel were difficult to get hold of, Turner USA would ship stuff out (usually FOC) very quickly – 3 days from enquiry to my desk is the norm. Put it this way – my next full sus will almost certainly be a turner simply because of the customer service.

It’s worth noting that the frame spec has evolved quite a lot over the years. the pre ’02 ones were basically DH bikes that happened to climb well, then the line got reintroduced in ’05 and called the 6-pack with a butted front triangle, the ’06 reverted to the RFX name and is when they ditched the Horst link (I think). The ’07 and ’08 were seriously redesigned to be a lot lighter and more airshock friendly, but almost certainly not as strong as my ’02.

The MTBR Turner forum is a mine of useful info on them (and a lot of not useful stuff too)

Pics? Mine’s just been resprayed.

Rex
    Free Member

6pack – flipping great.

mboy
    Free Member

My best mate had a 2000/2001 RFX (or it might have been an Afterburner, it had just over 6″ of travel anyway) and it was awesome. Honestly, no other 4 bar I’ve ridden has matched it for allround use and a bit of fun. I was gutted when he sold it as I was skint at the time, would have had it off him in a heartbeat had I had any money! One of, if not the, best bikes I’ve ever ridden…

Gary_C

Both pics taken at the top of the Col de l’Iseran,July 2006,on the trailAddiction H.E.I.D.I. day.

2006 RFX in its original guise,(Wotan fork,air shock).Now built up with ‘zocchi 66’s,& a coil shock.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Turner RFX – reviews and pics please’ is closed to new replies.