Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • Turner Flux or 5-spot?
  • martinxyz
    Free Member

It wont be horrible as I have one with 140 pikes. I run it around 120 most of the time these days but for easy going in the saddle cruising through easy terrain I often wind it out further. I know 120 is the max but I enjoy having it fully wound out at times. I always keep in mind not to hammer it at 140 though. 140 can be so nice at the end of a long ride instead of down at 100mm in xc mode. Just flowing along flat swoopy singletrack in a slightly more upright position …ahh,cannae beat it!

clockworkarmy
    Free Member

To be honest about some of the comments made about a Flux not handling tech/downhill sections is a tiny bit bollox.I took the leap of faith and decommissioned my 2007 giant trance advanced(carbon)and bought a 2011 Flux in acid orange,i to moved the gear over to the flux eg:rlc 100mm,crossmax,ect.

I read that most run 120mm forks with the flux,but i had 100mm and that was that..lol.Since i have had the flux i have bombed her down all the trails at Coed y Brenin(23 times,as i live 10min drive from there:)and also plenty of natural riding in the dark welsh mountains..yes even with 100mm forks without any hassle.

in fact i had loaned a pair of ‘float rlc 120’s’ off a good mate and found the 100’s gave me quicker turning/reactions/climbing even in stoney tech sections(eg:the beast/dragons back)its a very very capable frame even with 100mm…so save ya money for 120’s and go and ride the big 100’s

stanley

clockworkarmy I salute you!!

I imagine that my Flux would actually be a bit nicer with shorter forks (120 at the moment). Quicker steering and all that.

The current fashion seems to be long forks and slack angles on everything. Compensates for lack of skills on the lumpy downward stuff, but compromises everything else.

In a couple of years head angles will go steeper again as the industry pushes a new bandwagon 😉

funkrodent

Don’t know if anyone is still keeping an eye on this, but just in case! I’m umming and aahhing between a flux and a 5. I’m 6’4″ and 16 stone and have a hardtail. Was going to go for the Flux, but then found my forks won’t fit. So thought if I need new forks, might as well go for extra travel and get the 5, particularly as I’m a big guy. Concern is that the 5 seems a bit cramped and I like a longer frame. Will the Flux (2011 burrito frame) put up with my weight? Like clockworkarmy above, I like to ride Coed, Llandegla etc

Hadge
    Free Member

funkrodent, go over to the mtbr forum and look on the Turner pages and see what’s written over there. If you can’t find anything ask and you’ll get some good replies. The cockpits are shorter on the 5 Spots but I find it perfect and it makes them easier to make quick changes in direction but I’d definitely get a demo on one from a shop where they will try dial you in with various size stems etc as yo may find the 5 Spot the better bike for you.

titusrider
    Free Member

Ridden a dw 5 spot and it is a beast. Deffo heavy and dh biased if U ask me. I went for a mojo to get same sus and travel without the weight and a bit more xc focused.

I can’t say I have ever really ‘got’ the flux isn’t it massivly overweight for a 100mm race/trail full sus?
    Saying that I ran a Titus racer x for ages and that wasn’t totally featherlight

rogermellie
    Free Member

funkrodent, I had a similar discussion with someone at Merlin Cycles this lunchtime. It wasn’t you was it?!

funkrodent

Mr Mellie, ’twas indeed me. I need to make a decision soon as the lack of sleep is starting to gnaw at me. The XL flux frame is very similar dimension/geometry-wise to my hardtail, which I’m dialled in to. The more I think about it, the only real concern I have is the weight issue (me not the bike, when you’re my size the weight of the bike is less of an issue). If I was confident the Flux could handle a fat sod like me I’d go with it as I like the responsiveness of something that is firmer and I’m used to the steep head angle anyway + I like burning up climbs. In an ideal world I’d test them both, but having seen both frames they seem almost identical and I guess if the Flux failed on me its covered on warranty. Think I’m leaning heavily towards the flux in truth…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I vacillated between 5spot and flux when looking at a replacement for my HL 5spot. I was set for the flux until I read some comments from Dave Turner on MTBR.

He basically said that he’d worked really hard to drop weight out of the flux, and if you were largish (I’m 14 stone) you ought to not ‘lazy-boy of of G-outs or you might find the seat tube comes off’

Since I use it as an all day bike, and I’m often knackered at the end of the day, I figured lazy-boying had a fairly high chance of occuring, so I bought the 5spot instead.

sefton
    Free Member

I think the flux is around 5-6lb.

rogermellie
    Free Member

You may want to check out bikeradar’s recent review of the 2012 5spot which, apart from the curved down tube and maxle rear, is basically the same bike as the 2011. http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-turner-bikes-5spot-12-42533

RustyMac

Depending on the frame size you need you should have a look at merlin, they are cheaper for the flux than the spot just now.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/frame-forks/frames-mtb/turner-frames/

elliott-20
    Free Member

which, apart from the curved down tube and maxle rear, is basically the same bike as the 2011.

Which, apart from a half degree here and then and the ‘burrito’, is basically the same as the 2010. 😀

I love my 5.Spot and I love the fact that each year it has been slightly tweaked here and there. Just continues to prove it’s pedigree.

Hi, I have the HL Flux and the HL 5 Spot. The Flux stays in the shed. Says it all really. If you can build the Spot light (and 26lbs is doable) then go for that. Both are rock solid frames – but the Spot will help you out you when you’ve overcooked a descent more than the Flux. Mind you, I’d never sell that Flux. Both great frames, but to totally annoy you, the Mojo SL kicks the Spot’s butt; it breaks my heart to say it, but it’s true, it’s just on a different level; that said, I’m only comparing the HL Spot and the DW Mojo. Damn, my shed is worth much more than my car…I do have a shite care mind….One last thing, DO NOT ruin a Flux with a SID, madness, I did, never again. All thr mtbr Homers will give you some ace advice; don’t look at the Ibis forum, it will cost you a fortune!

davosaurusrex

I finished building my DW 5 spot this evening. It’s probably too much bike for most of what I do but by crikey it looks choice, it just makes me want to ride it. I’m looking at it right now. I’ve been drinking Staropramen and red wine. I may have a lazy lob on.

Sorry, what was the question?

mactheknife

Just had my DW 5 spot built up for about a month and to be honest it was not an instant love affair, the first ride i found the cockpit pretty small but i had been riding a spesh FRS for 2 years previously and i think any other bike takes a bit of getting used to.

Now a month on i absolutely love it, yep its not the lightest bike, i have revelations on which seem to suit it perfectly at 150mm.

The DW link rear suspension really is made of some magic stuff, without ANY noticeable bob it tracks the ground flawlessly and feels planted at all times. Made my FSR feel like a bouncy castle in comparison. So even though it is slightly heavier it never feels that way on the trails,it rips uphill. I was so impressed.

Point it down and it comes alive. But im a bit of a mincer when going down so ill have to leave the review for later.

organic355
    Free Member

any pics of the above 2??

mactheknife

Not yet buddy, u still want a ride on it sometime, im back oin Dundee on Tuesday. Welcome to head up the Sidlaws and see how u find it.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

x isn’t it massivly overweight for a 100mm race/trail full sus

flux frame is 6lbs, which is 1lb more than, say, a Giant Anthem X, which is in the same class of travel.

Having ridden them both the 1lb extra is worth it for the extra rear stiffness and the bushings/zerks.

The dw flux is more trail oriented than the HL flux apparently.

funkrodent

Afternoon all. Am vacillating between Spot and Flux. Impossible to get a test ride though and the main issue for me is the “short” spot frame, otherwise I’d go for it like a shot. The XL frame in both is the one that I can go for (that’s what’s available right now) and in fairness according to Turner I’m in the right size range (6’3″). But before I shell out it would make sense to try and see one of each in the flesh. So are any of you guys out there a) riding an XL 2009/10/11 or 12 flux or spot, b) based in North or Midlands and c) happy to let me have a gander at your bike and maybe ride it round the local carpark (or somesuch) to get a feel for the sizing. Happy to take care of the beers if so! Thanks, let me know

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’m in Somerset, which will be no use for you. FWIW at 6ft, the large is pretty much bang on with and 80mm stem. You’ve a good three inches on me and I think you’d be too cramped on a L.

The DW spot is everything I spent years trying to make the HL spot be. Its perkier, pedals better and still has the descending competence. It really is an all-rounder. I’d not hesitate to have another, and if I had to have just one bike, it would be this one. The only area I think the HL 5spot was better was small bump compliance, but even then, theres really not much in it.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

small bump compliance

try some of those RWC needle bearings in place of the DU bushings on the shock.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m in Somerset, which will be no use for you. FWIW at 6ft, the large is pretty much bang on with and 80mm stem. You’ve a good three inches on me and I think you’d be too cramped on a L.

Yep, bang on. I’m 6ft and have a 50mm stem.

try some of those RWC needle bearings in place of the DU bushings on the shock.

Could you elaborate for me please TurnerGuy?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id275.html

very popular on the Turner mtbr forum:

http://forums.mtbr.com/turner/enduro-needle-bearing-ride-report-581373.html

you only really need to fit the one on the top as that is the one that rotates, the bottom one doesn’t much.

Some people report that they even affect out of saddle peddling – I put mine in early on so couldn’t really say, except that I have never found any problem with out of the saddle climbing on my flux.

I am in surrey and have the fitting tools, if you are anywhere near me…

davosaurusrex

Will try and get some photos up tomorrow.

@funkrodent – I’m in the SE so no good to you either but I’m 6’3″ and my 2011 5 spot feels perfect. Running a 90mm 10 degree stem. Only had a spin round the neighbourhood today, off road christening is tomorrow but I’m sure the L would be too small. I’ve been riding large frames for years due to wanting a nimbler frame but the spot has so much standover clearance it’s pointless.

First observation on difference between this and my HL spot is that when pulling (rubbish) wheelies the HL would sit into its travel and then move around, the DW doesn’t and is much easier to control.

@turnerguy – may take you up on that offer in the future.

funkrodent

Thanks Daveosaurus, so to clarify, you’re on an XL frame? Let us know how your ride goes! Cheers

mactheknife

Photos as promised,

Got no idea of weight and i honestly dont care. Really loving this bike at th emoment 😀

campfreddie
    Free Member

i’m 6ft with a 34″ inner leg and i had a size large flux… in terms of reach, it was fine, but i did get the feeling that a xl would have been better… turners come up very small!

organic355
    Free Member

mactheknife that front wheel is a 29’er right?

What model/year is that frame, dont think I have seen that colour before or is it a re-spray?

also is that 2nd pic up the sidlaws somewhere?

mactheknife

29’er ?? nope. Just weird the way the picture made it look.

Its a 2011 anodised frame. And yep both were up the sidlaws last night.

organic355
    Free Member

that front wheel looks MASSIVE!!

Isnt the sidlaws bogtastic at the moment, been meaning to give it a shot, but weather has been putting me off, its a hard enough climb in the dry.

Is that colour frame still available anywhere? I Like.

EDIT: is it just the black anodised frame, but looks grey, or is it grey?

mactheknife

😀 the front wheel justlooks odd in those pics.

Na the sidlaws were ace last night. Had a good blast.

No idea about different frame colours to be honest, bought this from a shop in Devon who were clearing out for the 2012 range.

Do u want a blast on it to see if it suits you or not. Im around for next 10 days or so.

organic355
    Free Member

I do, but Ive only just built my cross bike so cant afford to even think about it just now. Would be good to know if I liked the 5 spot or the flux, but wanted to try both so need to get up to laggan to Demo them.

Me and a buddy are heading out somewhere on sunday 27th, but not sure where yet. Wheres a good natural trail within an hour of dundee? around 20K ish? Welcome to join us then once we decide where we are going.

mactheknife

Is it for cross bikes or MTB.

My favourite is Loch Muick starting and finishing at Glen Doll car park. Exactly 1 hour from Dundee 🙂 It takes 3 to 4 hours roughly.

Do it clockwise. It has 2 awesome descents finishing off with a descent from Capel Mounth which is one of my all time favourites.

If u want the route send me your email and ill email it to you.

crofts2007
    Free Member

@organic355, the colour is anodised silver, it looks like the last ones in this colour is the 2011, may be some still around in the sales somewhere. Turner have a medium and Xl for $1600 at the moment.

@mactheknife, what dropper post are you running, the spot will only take 8″ of the bottom of the post, (butted tubing) so I have been struggling to find one that still gives most of the post in the frame for the slammed downhill moments.

Back to the opening post, I ride a spot (11) and an Ellsworth Truth (05), the Truth probably compares to the HL flux in some ways, both bikes have their place, but I prefer the spot for most things.

funkrodent

Well, just pushed the button on the 5.Spot. An X-large frame on Wiggle (I know), at the frankly ridiculous price of £977. They have others, though I just rechecked and its now saying discontinued on all the 5.Spots. Still advertising 2010 Flux frames at £928 though. Grab ’em before they’re gone? Gonna build it up with revelations, hope/mavic wheels, slx group. Can’t wait. really hope this bike lives up to the incredible testimonials on here, mtbr, pinkbike etc. Can’t believe I’m committing this amount of the hard earned sight unseen, but life’s too short. Will post some pics when its done and let you know how I get on. Thanks for the thoughts and advice, its been enormously helpful and really appreciated.

ComradeD
    Free Member

good choice. Got a 2010 5 Spot and there great bikes. Like other have said it takes a while to really start enjoying the bike. But now i absolutely love it. Great bike on the downs, just handles so well.

Heres mine

martinxyz
    Free Member

Good choice,funk. I was dreading you buying an xl flux a few mins ago (Was reading a few pages worth) and pictured you on a big flimsy gate with all that weight going through the pedals. You would have noticed it more than I notice the difference between a 5 spot and a flux ( I ride mediums)

It’s only a tiny amount but with the size of the frame you would need along with the weight you’d be putting through it,I reckon you made the right choice.

edit: @ 16 stone,the diff between a flux and 5 weight-wise is not worth thinking about. Going for the slightly heavier/stiffer option was a good move.

mactheknife

crofts, its a reverb. Really not sure of the length inside the frame but i tried the fit in the bikeshop before i bought it. I have pretty much the full length inserted which off the top of my head is more that 8″. But i may be very wrong. It fits and works a treat 😀

organic355
    Free Member

Mac Route is for MTB, My mate has just built up an old Giant NRS which he wants to try out, Ill just be on my HT.

Your profile doesnt have an email address, what is it, as I wouldnt mind a copt of that route. Cheers.

My email is in my profile.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Turner Flux or 5-spot?’ is closed to new replies.