Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Turner Flux or 5-spot?
  • organic355
    Free Member

For a while now I have been lusting after a Turner Flux but I just noticed that the 5-spots actually appear to be a bit cheaper.

Reason I wanted a flux is that I could transfer pretty much everything over from my XC hardtail. But now I am wondering whether a 5-spot would be a better idea, and just build something up from scratch?

Anyone ridden both the flux and the 5-spot and prefer one over the other? Any reason to stay with a flux apart from a 5-spot will ultimately cost me more, for new forks etc.

I mainly ride XC in scotland & trail centres, but fancy a full suss as a skill compensator as I get bounced all over the place on my carbon hardtail.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

You don’t say what forks you have currently so not sure why you think you’d need new ones for the 5 Spot and not the Flux. That aside – and this may not be very helpful – I have 2 female friends with Turners. One prefers the Flux and the other prefers the 5 Spot having tried both, despite riding similar terrain. That said, the Flux rider is the much keener and fitter of the two. Her Flux is a quality build and impressively light. If multi-day epics are your thing maybe that is a consideration.

sam_underhill

I’ve not ridden a 5-spot, but I do own a flux. My justification moving from a hardtail we pretty much the same as I wanted some skills compensation and control over rougher stuff and also lusted after a flux for years. The 5-spot, especially the latest geo, is a very different beast to the flux. Much slacker, tougher and “all-mountain”. I’d be concerned the on the ups that slack HA and longer forks would get a bit tiresome if you ride more XC stuff.
    Don’t be fooled by the flux having “only” 105mm of rear travel, it lets you get away with murder and other then bit drops on to the flat (which I don’t do as I’m a mostly a gutless wonder on the bike!) then it copes with everything you through at it.

organic355
    Free Member

I have SIDS on my hardtail, not really appropriate for the 5-spot?

are the 2012 Turner frames though axel only? Does that mean i would need new wheels? i dont understand this thru axel thing.

sam_underhill

I think for 2012 the rear is an x-12 system even on the flux, so unless your wheels can be changed with an adapter kit then you will need a new rear wheel.
    I’ve got 120mm SIDs on my flux btw. Great pairing with the flux for XC biased build.

edit: No way you’d want SIDs on a 5-spot. I think most people are using 150mm forks.

sefton
    Free Member

I ran 100mm sids on my flux for ages with no worries – got a good deal on some 120mm reba uturns.

if most your riding is wales,cumbria,scotland etc go for the 5 if not get the flux – I’m up in the lakes a lot on my flux and its enough (but I’m a xc kid anyway)

if I’m riding local pennine stuff I wind em down to 110mm.

I’d be looking at weight too – 5 spot with a long fork will obviously weigh more than a flux with sids.

wrecker
    Free Member

I have a spot with 36s and coil shock. Quite happy to ride it all day and run it down DH trails.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The Flux-owning friend I referred to above it a very capable rider and has ridden her Flux all over the UK, the Alps and Sierra Nevada. If you have aspirations of being Steve Peat or you’re a clumsy rather than graceful rider it ain’t right for you, but I’ve seen a Flux come down terrain as challenging as most of us on here would choose to ride.

organic355
    Free Member

so if I go for a 5-spot I need new a new rear hub and new forks, probably BB & headset.

Flux pre-2012, BB & headet
    Flux 2012 new hub, BB & headset.

sefton
    Free Member

xc mode 100mm sids:

dickie
    Free Member

A carbon hardtail to 5 spot is a huge leap in terrain hitting capability including a large weight increase, so a Flux would be middle of both.
    A lot of people to the best of my knowledge run the Flux with 120mm forks but I guess your forks are 100mm.
    The Flux is not a light frame but I run mine with 120mm forks & its a good all rounder, although a mates wife runs a small flux with 100mm SID’s & it appears well bablanced.
    Sorry not much help I know but maybe something else to consider.

sefton
    Free Member

think the old frames where designed for 100mm forks?

organic355
    Free Member

what exactly is XC? or more to the point what isnt it? I go mountain biking, sometime across the countryside, sometimes in local forests, sometimes at trail centres, and sometimes in all over the hills/mountains. So on trails, across rocks, roots, some drop offs but no big ones.

What kind of bike do I need? Xc? trail? AM?

JonR
    Free Member

Going from a hardtail to a flux is a good step up in weight so going up to a 5 spot would be a large leap. That said you might really love a Turner, why not try and organise a test ride of one of each? I have both and I love them (but prefer the 5 spot if I’m honest)

stilltortoise
    Free Member

What kind of bike do I need? Xc? trail? AM?

How good a rider are you? All those bikes can be ridden down the most challenging terrain, but the AM one will let you get away with poor line choice, flatter landings and probably allow you to go faster, safer. Like I said above, my friend has put many miles on her Flux and there’s not much she won’t have a go at (except maybe airtime).

sefton
    Free Member

I just say the spot will be easier/faster & more suited to the downs and the flux more an all rounder leaning towards long days in the saddle riding.

if you live for the downhills or would like a little more travel to get threw stuff – 5 spot

if you live for covering more ground faster, lighter bikes get the flux

on my flux its really noticeable going from 100mm to 120mm – the bike turns better and has super quick handling and climbing skills with 100mm of travel. 120mm kills some of these traits but its plusher over the rougher stuff (and makes me feel more confident)

I had a go of a 5spot yesterday (I think I would kill my self as I felt like I could take anything on) 😆

I personally think the flux is very versatile and would be great coming from a light hardtail.

parisroubaix

I presume you are considering DW link frames only? If coming from a xc hardtail i would get a flux. The latest 5 spot is built around 140-160mm forks, designed with chain guides in mind, I for one would consider it far too cabable for me but still own a 2005 horst link 5 spot which I am very fond of and more suited to my riding.

martinxyz
    Free Member

I have owned (with bombers too lol) a 5 spot ict/horst for a few years.
    Built a tnt version up for a few rides with all the same kit off my own bike.
    Ridden an ict/horst flux for a week.
    Had a short spin on a tnt flux.
    Now own a dw flux.

The 5 spot is a stiffer bike than the flux in ict/horst build. When you get on the flux you can feel (and see) the stays moving ever so slightly under load. It feels livelier than the 5 spot for typical xc/old school trail riding.The 5 spot shines on the descents.. especially when those moments crop up where you want to ride as close to your threshold as you dare.Once you get on a fast swoopy trail it will leave you muttering to yourself how good it really is.. something that you might never know until you take it up there. If its used for xc use then the hidden secret it holds might never be found.

Unfortunately for me, i dont ride full on much and like to cruise along on xc routes more than hitting the likes of laggan black and the likes.. so i find the flux,with similar confidence inspiring handling,a better bike to own. I have searched around for an old horst flux for a while but recently ended up buying a cheap dw 2009 flux.
    From what i remember from the week with the horst flux, the dw seems as stiff at the rear as the old 2005 version. I may be wrong. The dw as you probably know,is a different suspension design. I wont go into what i like and dislike about the two designs but if i had a choice,i reckon it would have to be the DW. cable routing is a bit more of a faff on dw than their old versions but with how well dw works.. you dont really care about which way a cable is routed! I have a pike on mine wound down to 115. This seems a nice happy medium.

Its really what you plan on using it for.A Flux is something you can live with as your only bike if its mainly xc riding but like mentioned above,dont think this wont descend trails in the likes of Torridon.It will.. possibly better than a lot of 5-6 inch travel bikes with less sorted geometry! Its a tough frame that will give you bags of confidence. If you dont mind having a slightly heavier bike thats not quite as agile feeling on the xc routes.. but you want something that will shine when you take it up a mountain with a build you can be more confident in.. the go for the 5 spot.

remoterob
    Free Member

There is about 400g difference between a Flux and a Spot.

organic355
    Free Member

I think youve convinced me to stick with a flux as I will be coming from a carbon hardtail at 9.8kg with 100mm SIDS. Sounds like the 5-spot will be too much of a jump up in weight and feel (longer forks, geometry etc).

So if I go for a 2012 flux (when they are on sale), I will just need to get a new hub for my american classic rear wheel…assuming you can ride with a rear through bolt and a front standard axle? otherwise are there any 2011 flux’s left anywhere in a medium?

organic355
    Free Member

There is about 400g difference between a Flux and a Spot.

doesnt sound much but it will also have much heavier forks on it too?

sefton
    Free Member

get which bike will suit 80% of your riding and make do the other 20%

rossm
    Free Member

One of my mates had a Flux which broke 3 times! Frame (replaced under warranty), some time after that the rocker arm snapped (replaced, not sure who paid), then the frame again. He lost the will to live and bought a Yeti.

In the same group of guys there’s an ex demo 5 Spot which is often thrown down hills carrying a big lad. No problems so far.

Based on this I think I’d go for the 5 Spot. Unless it’s for cross country in which case I’d get a short travel bike other than a Turner.

campfreddie
    Free Member

i absolutely love my turner flux… i have rs revs with a 20mm maxle tuned down to 120mm at the front… it gives me the best of all worlds (xc, or am)… if i was going to spend all my time rattling down mountains, then perhaps a 5-spot would be better (although in all honesty, i would buy a lapierre), but for i do (ie. xc around the new forest with days out at afan etc), it’s great.

it’s pretty light too… especially with a set of stans tubeless wheels

sefton
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure my flux with sids/tubless/kcnc was around 26lb

now it looks like this

crichards
    Free Member

Organic355 –

I ride a 2011 Flux DW link with a 120mm fork. I previously rode a 2009 5 Spot DW with a 140mm Talas fork, and a Horst Link 5 Spot with a 130mm fork for about 4 years before that.

The 5 Spot DW is a great bike but was just a bit too slouchy for me going uphill (even with the fork wound down) and seemed overkill for general trail riding and all day XC trips. I agonised about changing frames for ages but finally took the plunge and ordered a sale Flux frame.

The Flux is a much faster and more efficient affair and I feel as though I continue to ride as hard as I did with the 5 Spot, although I do blow through the travel on the rear on occasions. It has been absolutely the right decision for me. I am quite a light rider though at around 68kgs.

If you are able to I suggest you try and take one of each out for a demo ride and decide for yourself. It would be a shame to invest your money but regret the purchase later. Silverfish is the UK importer – they might be able to point you in the direction of a demo bike.

Excuse the lycra, it was hot 🙂 :

wrecker
    Free Member

Given equal amounts of riding skill, the 5 spot is a more capable bike. A little heavier but ultimately suited to bigger terrain than the flux.

sefton
    Free Member

looking at the pic above – if you are the type of person to ride along the ridge get the flux, if you would ride off the side get the 5 😀

mactheknife

Organic, I have a 5 spot getting delivered later this week. I won’t have it built up for a couple of weeks but you are more than welcome to take it out for a spin to see how it feels 🙂

Hadge
    Free Member

Sell the SID’s and get some 150mm forks. I actually run 140mm Floats on mine and it’s fine. If you ever found it a bit steep there’s plenty you can do to slacken it. The crown to axle lengths on the 140mm to 150mm is the same so it doesn’t really matter that much. As for being light, here’s my Spot and it’s under 26lb without any stupid lightweight crap on it. I could knock more off it but it’s perfectly good enough as it is. The 5 Spot is a cracking bike and a really good buy at the moment

nick3216
    Free Member

A Flux will get down the black at any trail centre these days, but a Five Spot will get you down it with more confidence.

if you are the type of person to ride along the ridge get the flux, if you would ride off the side get the 5

^^ What sefton says. If you have a gravity bias to your riding go with the Five Spot. If you have an XC bias (“moving stuff across from XC hardtail”) go with the Flux.

Disclaimer – I’ve only ridden TNT and Horst versions of both these bikes, can’t comment if the DW versions are as different from each other.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I couldn’t comment on the flux, but my 2011 5spot is a bit more XC than my old 2005 HL 5spot. That said, its a bit more AM too…

sefton
    Free Member

the 5spots look bad ass though 😈

crichards
    Free Member

looking at the pic above – if you are the type of person to ride along the ridge get the flux, if you would ride off the side get the 5

That is a very neat way of summing it up 🙂

TimCotic
    Free Member

I’ve come from a 2008 Superlight to a new 2010 DW Flux after trying a Heckler for a few months. I have the Maxle Revelations from the Heckler fitted to the Flux (travel shortend to 120mm).
    Moving from Superlight to Flux you get added lateral stiffness, comfort, AND it pedals better. On top of all that you get far more speed and confidence downhill. I don’t ride technical downhills myself but on the average fast, loose bridleway, I reckon the Flux feels far more like a Heckler a Superlight. Even with its puny quick release rear and old fashioned 1.125 inch headtube, the Flux really wants you to let those brakes off.

simontee
    Free Member

I am lucky enough to have both a DW Spot and Flux at the moment. As you are coming from a hardtail I would go for the Flux. I love both. The Flux is faster for most of my local riding, which doesn’t have too much in the way of steep technical downhill, but does have a lot of tight twisty woodland singletrack. I would take the Spot if I was off to Wales or Scotland, but if I only had the Flux available, I wouldn’t feel at much of a disadvantage.

Simon

organic355
    Free Member

right whos got the 2012 flux’s apart from CRC?

martinxyz
    Free Member

I look forward to a flux with a tapered headtube..

Anyway, hope you get a cheap deal/right bike!

elpuko
    Free Member

I am seriously thinking of buying a Flux. I do however like to hit the occasional black run. Has anyone tried a Flux with 140mm forks? I’m thinking that fitting some RLC’s or U-Turns that range between 100-140mm will allow me to slacken the head angle to 68 degrees. This should give me similar geometry to a 5 spot but with a bit less rear travel. Any thoughts?

stanley

It will be horrible.
    My 2010 Flux is (imho) on the verge of becoming vague on climbs with 120mm/20mm Rebas.
    However, it is an absolute hoot to ride 🙂
    Would be fine on black runs.
    140mm would be too much. All the angles at the DW-Link would be messed up too. And too much leverage on the headtube.

My 5Spot doesn’t get nearly as much use as the Flux

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Turner Flux or 5-spot?’ is closed to new replies.