Turner 5 spots – show me yours and tell me about it

Home Forum Bike Forum Turner 5 spots – show me yours and tell me about it

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Turner 5 spots – show me yours and tell me about it
  • boxfish

Been pondering a new FS ride and the 2012 5-spot intrigues me. I have read a few online reviews but would be interested to know your thoughts and experiences. What’s good/bad/ugly? Also, what size do you ride and what are your height/leg length measurements? At 5′ 7″ with a 30.5″ floor-to-crotch leg measurement (with cycling shoes on), I’m not sure between small and medium.

Cheers!

coogan

Had mine about 4 years now I think. Great bike, always been a hoot to ride, not as good looking as the old HL 5 Spots, but that don’t matter once your pointing it down an Alp. Ride it all over the place, been to the Alps twice it and no great rush to replace it as it does all I want and I have a larf on it.

I’m 5′ 6″ and have a medium frame but long legs and short body. I’d say you’d be better with a medium, best see if you can get a leg over one first though.

In Italy a few years ago:

boxfish

Thanks Coogan

Digger90

I’ve had five 5 Spots through all generations from HL to TNT to DW link. Current one is a 2010 and while I’d love a 2012 it’s not sufficiently different to me to warrant a swap-out, especially if I run a Works Components angle set.

They are extremely well made, the journal bearings are bombproof and as maintenance-free as you could wish – far, far better than the skateboard bearings used in most full-suss bikes.

As Coogan says, the 5 Spot is incredibly versatile with many ‘personalities’ in 1 bike: mine has been built light for singletrack blasts, medium for all-round fun, and with coils shock/Lyriks and DH kit for Morzine (where it rocked by the way).

The DW suspension is a big step ahead of previous generations – it feels very deep and plush, equally it’s easy to tune to your personal ride characteristics with an air shock. I’ve done everything from XC races to DH weeks on mine.

I’m 5’10 and ride a Large. I’m a ‘tweener’ (in-between sizes like you) and having ridden both (my wife has a Medium) I’m better suited to the longer TT length and feel of the Large.

As you can see from the below, mine have been ridden around the world, from Peaslake to Whistler to Morzine to Moab!

remoterob

The only thing I would swap mine for is a Turner Burner, and that’s more out of curiosity rather than a real need.

It did take a while to get it to feel right, I think some of that came from an initially stiff linkage but once sorted, it just flies. I’ve never ridden another bike that has had so much traction on the climbs.

boxfish

Great gallery Digger! You demonstrate the versatility of the 5-spot very well. I would probably go with a 140/150 mm fork and a 1 x10 setup. I’m not in the habit of chucking myself off mountains that often…

Ta Rob. In 20+ years of offload riding I only ever owned one full susser. I’m used to squeezing the available traction from a hard tail. I suspect that I may be spoiled for grip on a 5- spot!

wrecker

I have a 2011 which I’m building back up. Previously built burly with 36’s, coil shock, crossmax SX etc. now building it with 150mm revs, monarch RT3, arch ex’s, 2×10. Felt great burly, was happy to ride it all day and take abroad. I’ve had and ridden a good few bikes and my thoughts on the spot are its very composed and efficient. Never feels flustered but rewards good riding. I wouldn’t describe it as especially plush, plough-like nor a skill compensator. It is longer, lower and slacker than my LTc. The spot will be my second bike which I ride occasionally and lend to friends etc for a while until I decide to sell it.

Premier Icon Vortexracing
    Subscriber

Love mine, just had it powder coated as I cant see any reason to change it. It is very composed in all situations. as mentioned the climbing traction is superb, it just gets on with the job.

I have tried a u-turn Rev, a Domain and now a Dual air revs. It has had the std RP2/3, Vanilla Coil and now runs a Monarch Plus.

They are very versatile and the only thing I have against it is it’s slightly heavy, but I’m more then willing to put up with that because it’s so acomplished at everything.

P1000850 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1030566 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1040349 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1040761 by eastham_david, on Flickr

IMG_8277 cropped2 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1020951 by eastham_david, on Flickr

boxfish

Like the black paint job there Vortex!

Dream bike for me. just can’t afford one! nice pics guys keep em coming!

trailmoggy

Not want you all an action shot, I had the old Horst link which I had for nearly 4 years….but this is better

Premier Icon solarider
    Subscriber

Sorry to hijack.

I am considering one, but can’t decide between L and XL. I am 6ft 2, 33inch inside leg, long arms and upper body.

BrickMan

from an engineering point of view (on my 2005 ish HL job), bushs are much better than ball bearings, even full compliment or needle bearings for the job of rear suspension.
    Put it this way, if you ride it for 5 years, you’ll have saved your self at least 2 sets of conventional bearings (£160 inc labour for a spesh FSR, or about £450 for one of the new Yetis LMFAO), so they are pretty good value really, in the long run, at least thats what you tell the misses

wrecker

6ft 32″ legs on a large with short stem here solarider.

haggis1978

Had a 2005 Horst link. Amazing bike.

ChunkyMTB

That’s the Pentlands coogan…..

Premier Icon davosaurusrex
    Subscriber

Another hijack, thinking of selling my 2011 frame + forks, headset and wheels, link here;

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-possibly-2011-xl-turner-5-spot-frame-2012-44-rc3-ti-chris-king-inset

Obviously my opinion would come across as biased but I’m 6’3″ with 34″ inside leg, I’ve always ridden large frames (including 3 previous Turners)and thought the XL would be a gate but far from it, first bike to fit me properly. I’d always go for a larger frame with shorter stem now. Only looking to sell it to get a Sultan, I just can’t get away from having a Turner. I phoned them up a couple of weeks ago, Dave Turner answered the phone and I chatted to him for half an hour, that isn’t uncommon either. How many companies can you do that with?

Like others have said I don’t think the DW spots feel as plush as the older HLs but in every other way they are superior. It had NO pedal induced bob with the RP23 but they do tend to blow to through the travel too easily, suspension performance is massively better with the CCDB and pedal bob is still almost imperceptible.

lord

ive a 2005 horst link , keep thinking of selling but its a great do it all bike , dont know whats gonna replace it 🙂

Subscriber

A DW spot obviously….

trailmoggy

Btw I’m 5-8 and ride a small with 50mm stem, give me that sharp snappy feel I like

wrecker

davosaurusrex’ frame is an absolute steal. Must still have some transferable warranty on it too.

Subscriber

And I’ve just agreed to sell it for £800! Damn you Merlin! And yep, warranty runs out April 2014. And in my experience (and many others) Turner will always help you out even when the warranty has expired.

Y’know, I’ve been thinking maybe I should try a Yeti or an Intense or somesuch but writing this and reading the other posts if you can afford one why would you consider anything EXCEPT a Turner?

Turnerfan1

Hi,
    They are a fantastic bike.I had a 2004 HL Spot and it did me proud.Currently have a DW Flux which suits my riding better (for sale by the way).As soon as they release a 4 inch 29er i will have another Turner.In terms of sizing i am 6’2″ and 34″ inside leg.I rode a large HL and am riding a XL Flux which fits me better.
    Thanx,
    Max

boxfish

Looking at the similar geometry of my current hard tail, size-wise it sits somewhere in between the small and medium 5-spots. I currently use a 70mm stem with an effective top tube of 575 mm, or 645 in total. This roughly equates to the small with a 75 mm stem, or a medium with a 60 mm stem. Based on the numbers, I’m leaning more towards the medium but I suppose the proof is in the riding.

Subscriber

I’d go with the medium based purely on the fact that you see a lot of threads along the lines of “wish I’d gone for the bigger frame size” and next to none the other way round. If you’re on the cusp of sizes Turner usually advise to go bigger but email them your details and they’ll let you know

boxfish

Cheers davo, sensible advice there!

I’ve had a Horst link version a dw version and a sultan.

Both 5 spots have been really good trail bikes. the dw improves upon the Hl in two vital areas stiffness and squatting/sogginess under power.the trade off for the second is that you do lose that magic carpet ride feel that the host link had, but its much better under power and when steep climbing.

I only had my dw for about a year before getting a sultan, but that’s a different story.

Premier Icon funkrodent
    Subscriber

Got a 2010 5.Spot and a 2011 Flux. Use my Flux for 90% of my riding. They’re both top top bikes. The 5.Spot is truly a do everything bike. It doesn’t climb or pedal as well as the flux, but it’s not far off and when you’re going down it is a revelation. 2011 has a slightly slacker head angle than the 2010 so it’ll be even better on the very steep and technical stuff. If you want one bike to do it all (and do it all very, very well) the 5.Spot is the one. Enjoy!

Marko

I have the HL version. Medium, with a 70mm stem and a layback seat post. This is spot on for me at 5′ 6”.
    You’re welcome to try mine, if you are close to SE Wales.
    Hth
    Marko

BillyBull

My first one

The one after that

The present one

Premier Icon mattbee
    Subscriber

My ’05 HL. I’m 6’2″ and this is a L with a 90mm stem. Absolutely love it, best FS I’ve ever had.

Here’s my 2010 DW 5 Spot it’s a large and now has Renthal 780 bars but needs new grips, I also need to sort my seat post cable routing out. I am also thinking of changing the stem to a Hope DH stem. Very happy with my MK ll tyres grip like hell.

Premier Icon sparkerfix
    Subscriber

I’m very similar build to Boxfish, (5’6″ and 30/31 inside leg) Ride a 2011 Medium 5 spot. Seems good for me.

BillyBull

Vortexracing how does the Monarch plus feel compared to previous shocks?

Subscriber

Very nice, although it’s off to Loco for a fettle, it has a leak. 🙁

It seems to be perfect. I think it supports the midstroke better than the RP2/3 did, although that was std. I would expect a push tune on the Fox to make that better.

BillyBull

Thanks. Is it low/low tune?

Subscriber

yip, it is

Premier Icon Jocko
    Subscriber

I have the 2012 large with fox 34 160’s – used to have a blur lt. The big thing I noticed is the stiffness and how well it pedals. It went to morzine this summer and soaked up everything. I would show you a picture if I could work out how.

Crag

[/url][/img]

It seems I’m the only one that never really got on with a 5 Spot. Its not that I didn’t like it, just didn’t like it enough. It pedalled really well, was competent enough going downhill. I suppose it was just a bit uninspiring. Was a bit high and steep to make it really good going downhill, despite fitting both/or Lyriks/Works headset. It was no more than OK tbh.

I’ve now got a Zesty which for me is just a much better bike. OK, it lacks the kudos of the Turner which I know is a bit of an attraction, and I suppose it is a bit more likely to snap in half and kill me, but I much prefer it, it climbs just as well and descends much, much better.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Turner 5 spots – show me yours and tell me about it’ is closed to new replies.