Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Turner 5 spot… what's it for?
  • flippinheckler
    Free Member

I love my DW 5 Spot I’m 5’11 and I have a Hope Stem : 70mm – Angle 25° – with 680 wide bars and it fist me perfectly, the best bike I have ever ridden, I bought it without test riding one and trusted the reviews and mtbr threads, brilliant on fast singletrack rocky descents technical climbs you name it. I can’t fault it.

wpuk
    Free Member

Turner CS is strong
    But if you end up having to deal with the UK importer (silverfish) your ****

Read enough threads and you’ll find plenty of QA issues with Turners, in the states they have been given the nickname Re-turners by the lbs, as long as your happy with a chunk of the boutique price is there to cover their build quality/design weaknesses

flippinheckler
    Free Member

My bike was an insurance replacement for my heckler and the frame was sourced through silverfish there was a delay on shipments at the time but they made my order a priority so no problems there, I have heard nothing but positive feedback about Turner and there build quality and customer service, I wanted some decals and they sent them straight away from the USA so can’t agree with wpuk.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    heihei

Intense Tracer 2, Ibis Mojo HD, Transition Covert, Devinci Dixon, Nicolai AM/AC, Chumba Evo G2, Blur LTc (or maybe a Nomad), Banshee Rune, Turner 5 Spot, Yeti 575, Nukeproof Mega, Orange 5 (or maybe a 160)

I’ve ridden a few of these so might be worth sharing some thoughts.
    First off, you should decide if you are happy riding a single-pivot design. If so, the Transition Covert has awesome geometry that just inspires confidence and hooligan behaviour. It also looks good and is pretty good value for money. I’ve not spent too much time on an Orange 5, but mates and reviews suggest it also has awesome geometry, but to me doesn’t look as “right” as a Covert. The Yeti 575 is a bit more of a long-travel XC bike rather than a hooligan, with the offset is it weighs quite a bit less. Whenever I ride a single-pivot design, I do notice brake jack, so have never owned one.
    If you prefer a non-single-pivot design, then the most neutral design IMHO is the 4-bar. I’ve spent some time on Nicolais (AM, AC & CC), and would say that the suspension action just fades into the background leaving you to get on with the riding. Nics are beautifully made, but for some are too “industrial” looking. I like it, but others don’t. I’ve not ridden a Chumba, but the design looks similar to the Nic, as well as Titus which I’ve also ridden quite a bit.
    Of the linkage designs, as noted above, I’ve owned both the DW 5-Spot (2009) and now the Mojo HD. The DW design pedals amazingly well, especially when climbing as the design props the front end up, meaning you don’t need adjustable forks. They also accelerate well as they feel very efficient. You certainly notice the action of the suspension – for example they often feel they have less travel until you actually need it. For some this is a good thing, others may differ.
    I haven’t ridden the latest version of VPP, as used by Santa Cruz and Intense. I wasn’t a big fan of the first version, as esp when climbing it all felt a bit “odd” on square-edged hits. Version 2 is supposed to have dialled a lot of this out, so suspect it gets closer to the DW design.

Hope this helps!!

thegerminator
    Free Member

What’s it for?
    had mine from 04 with the romic
    shock, spain, alpes dartmoor the
    q’s and exmoor mainly.
    Being sent back to turner to be
    refurbed,new bushes,decals,hesd
    badge,and repowdercoated in sparkle
    black!
    How many bike companies provide that?
    What’s it for?
    In my case many many happy trail days.
    Ps recently tried a mojo hd and whyte
    146 great bikes but hey think the carbon
    can wait a little longer.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks all for the feedback.

Heihei, I do like the look of the mojo hd, especially with the 140/160 options. A while ago it was a toss up between that and a burly blur ltc build. Gone off the boutique carbon thing a bit now and loving the industrial look of the nicolai. Rode an AM at Afan a few months back and it was amazing on the downs. Didn’t feel that good on the ups, though I’d just come off a long ride on a 100mm xc bike so really need to be compare it against more similar bikes.

Had a go on a five the other day too. Seemed very good at the xc stuff though was set up for a rider about 4st heavier than me so probably not the best test of the single pivot.

Bringing it back to the 5 spot, anyone know anywhere that does proper test rides around Berkshire area?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I know these guys used to do demo’s http://www.mountain-trax.com/

Mine is 2 years old and has laughed at everything I’ve thrown at it.

heihei

I bought my DW from Mountain Trax – as above they used to have a demo, dunno if they still do. The Helius AM may be overkill – I’d go with the AC which can build into 28lbs or less. Head for the Hills have a demo AC in Dorking.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I don’t think mountain trax do them anymore. Must demo their LT and 575, maybe the orange too.

Would be torn between the AC and the AM. If I could run an AC with 160 forks then I’d definitely go that route. Seem to remember reading about someone who got a custom AC built with some AM bits so that they could run a 160 and not void the warranty. Must dig that out.

mrblobby
    Free Member

ChunkyMTB, nice build btw. Would be much how I’d build it. How do you find the BB chain guide working?

In STW style I have to point out that your seat is rather far forward on its rails and your tyre logos are not properly aligned 🙂

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

BB stinger works fine never had any issues. And for the record, saddle is bang on in the midle of the rails guides – you need better eye sight 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

😳

heihei

Try Nirvana nr Dorking for a demo 5-Spot. If you plan it right, you could test that, then the AC from HftH. HftH are also Ibis dealers and can get hold of 2-Pure’s demo HD in if you wanted (or can try mine).

Yes Nicolai will do custom, but does cost quite a bit more. If you went down the Nic route it’s worth hanging out in the MTBR forum as lots of helpful and knowledgabe folks on there. Geetee1972 on here owns a Helius AM with some custom geom, but says if he got another Nic he would get an AC again with some custom geom.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I own DW 5 spot. Had a few decent FS bikes the last being an Ellsworth epiphany. It weighs in at 28lbs (is that heavy or light for a 140mm trail bike?) I find it great for all my riding. The frames are so stiff, honestly you can feel the diffrence. As for the head angle being a couple of degrees steeper…. Its still fairly relaxed and climbs well, feels comfortable with a 70mm stem without wandering around. And decends really really well.
    Heres mine on the gondola at Fort Will getting ready for a few runs down the DH track.

toons
    Free Member

Go demo the 2011 5 spot it f’ing rocks 🙂

coogan
    Free Member

Yeah, thats the best way to climb up a hill NorthCountryBoy. Mine on its way up an Italian Alp. And mine is heavier than yours, so 28lbs is just fine!

james
    Free Member

“”Too slack = too slow on fast and tight singletrack!”
    True, but its a stiff 140mm FS, is being too slack for tight singletrack that big a concern?
    Older (at least 2009?) DW 5spots were 69deg with a 140mm fork, which is about the steepest you can get a bike designed around a 140mm fork
    The 100mm Flux DW has a 70deg HA with a 100mm fork, so front end bottomed out (say as you go over the bars on something steep – where the rear is fully extended) or with a 140mm fork the 100mm flux is actually slacker than the 5spot? Surely the ‘need’ for the 140mm 5spot to be nimble in tight singletrack wasn’t so great that it was made steeper (with equivalent fork) than the 100mm flux?

Newer (current) DW 5spots are more middleground with a 67.7deg HA with 150mm fork

“the Mojo and couldn’t afford one if I did!”
    I thought a mojo about the same as a blur lt and a bit less than a 5psot?

“head angle is more suitable for long rides with plenty of climbing compared to many bikes with slacker head angles. DW link is great for saving your energy over the course of a day’s ride”
    In this regard the stiffness and weight of the frame aren’t a help though?
    There are other lighter (almost 1-2lb lighter) DW 140mm frames about for about the same or a bit less money (eg ibis mojo/mojo sl/mojo hd 140)

“you want it for alpine duties as well as general XC stick some Fox 36 Talas’ on the front”
    Now they only them in 160/120mm, not 100-130-160mm, they won’t work as well on 140mm bikes. That leaves you with ‘well heavy’ RS Lyrik coil U-turns

“there seem to be a lot of happy 5 spot riders out there”
    Probably because the thread has 5spot in it?

“can you get the Reign as a frame only?”
    They used to be available for £800, but since they’ve slackened them (from 69deg with a 140mm fork) I think they’ve dropped them frame only

“sektor; coil, with 110 to 150mm adjustable travel”
    105mm to 150mm surely?”

I realise there could have been a certain slant on it, but I went to an IMechE talk by Cy Turner (of Cotic) not so long ago and the comparisons of the 150mm hemlock with the 5spot, mojo, 5, blur lt etc were pretty interesting, especially the theoretical linkage driven single pivot ‘hemlock’ vs. a DW 5spot
    If you can get past the ‘looks’ and 5psot sort of weight (it is £1100, can take 160mm forks and the new chainstays are 1/2lb? heavier) then going by the ST review it looks pretty good

pastcaring
    Free Member

160 fork, offset shock bushings = 67* degree ha.
    i’ll try one of the offset headsets soon, then lower the fork to 140. it should? lower the bb hight, keeping the ha around 67*…

* ish

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

When I changed bike 3 years ago I narrowed it down to 3 options and test rode them all within a week to get a direct comparison. If you can possibly sort it, it’s just much easier to make the decision when they are all fresh in your mind.

Definitely get a demo on the BLT2 – it’s superb, and actually climbs best with the propedal off. With a 36 Talas on the front head angle will be a smidge more than 67 deg; wound down to 120 it would be around 69 deg, so good for climbing.

The BLT2 encourages a bit of hooligan behaviour, and seems indestructible. The new VPP system is pretty maintenance free. In 3 years of Scottish all weather use and lots of big rocky descents, the top bearings have just had to be replaced, but parts are FOC as they are warrantied for life. Bottom bearings still fine

mrblobby
    Free Member

Some nice looking 5 spots there. Seems quite common to build them up with 160 forks. Are offset shock bushings a readily available part for these?

Captain M, do keep coming back to the BLT. Had a Blur XC for years now and still love it. Only real complaint is the frequent bearing maintenance. More travel, better bearings, better VPP, it is tempting. The BLT with a 160 fork is a lot more tempting than the Nomad too (which has never really done it for me.) Getting quite common on the trails now though 😉

tonyd

mrblobby – I think Mountain Trax still sell the 5-spot so if you’re after a demo and they haven’t got one have a word and they’ll most likely get hold of one for you. They’re my LBS and where I bought my Five, most of the demo bikes I tested were from there and the service is great. Eg, they didn’t have a Five in my size to demo so made a call to Orange and got one for me.

I’d echo the above about riding demo’s as close together as you can. I got a mate to come with me and we took out two demo’s at a time, riding a set route round Swinley once on each bike back to back. It’s the best way to compare. Did it in a kind of knock out competition, the final was held on Whites Level.

titusrider
    Free Member

Pastcaring, that looks like an awesome bike, id love to point that at a rock garden 🙂

tonyd

mrblobby – just got an email from M-Trax, the have a 5-spot in medium on sale. It’s a complete bike, componentry is OK but if you have kit to upgrade to it might be a good option if that’s what you’re looking for?

http://www.mountain-trax.com/product/3936/Turner_5_Spot_Custom_Bike

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

MBR review from 2010 best bike American classics.

http://www.turnerbikes.com/010/010home/010news/MBR_UK_NOV09.pdf

mrblobby
    Free Member

Did spot that review a while ago. Notice that Rutland are also doing some good deals on them. Not sure it’s the one for me though.

tops5
    Free Member

Float 36 on a HL Spot – yey or nay?

khani
    Free Member

Depends on the rockers, longer rockers are better for longer forks IMO,
    Here you go, red one with 32’s and 5.3 rockers, raw one with push 5.75 rockers with 36’s,

tops5
    Free Member

Thanks Khani – those rockers are thin on the ground these days tho

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Whats it for? Riding.

There are faster, there are more huckable, there are more jumpy, there are stronger, there are lighter, but few come as close as a solid, no fuss all rounder.

5 years and counting. (Thanks Khani)

coogan
    Free Member

I loved my old 5 Spot. Fell off it in Canada, the Alps, Scotland etc. It was mucho fun and still going strong else where. I do miss it as much as I love my new one. Which is all a bit guff, get over it doofus. Still, it went boing in a good way.

khani
    Free Member

Crc had some 5.5 rockers a bit ago, dunno if they still have
    What scienceofficer said +1, not found another as good (for me 😉 ) all-round yet,
    EDIT. And what coogan said as well, fell off mine all over the place 😀

hora
    Free Member

Morning, any pointers on air pressure etc for the shock?

toons
    Free Member

Try 10psi lower than your weight in lbs

hora
    Free Member

Ta 🙂

I must admit the 5spot looks really nice in grey/silver with black decals 8)

lowey

Hora

Start with body weight in the main air chamber. Get on the bike with all your riding gear, including water in the Camelbak, now check suspension sag. To do this, pull the little O-ring up on the shock shaft; now get off the bike gingerly as to not upset that measurement. Once off the bike, measure how much shock shaft is exposed above the O-ring. For proper setup you should measure about 30% of sag from total stroke.

Dave Turner recommends about 3 clicks in for the rebound and never use the propedal.

Click here and then click the Proper Shock Set up tab.

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Turner 5 spot… what's it for?’ is closed to new replies.