• This topic has 41 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Turkey pre order fail…
  • DT78
    Free Member

wifey finds out this evening she hasn’t pre ordered Xmas Turkey. we are hosting on the day. having not set foot in a supermarket for quite sometime (God bless internet order / delivery) are there plenty in stock in physical stores or am I going to be driving round every supermarket within a 50mile radius tomorrow?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Local farm auction mart? The local ones to my folks do a christmas sale each year, best fresh stuff going. If not local butchers would be on my list too over a supermarket

rene59
    Free Member

Should be time left, have seen them on sale Boxing day onwards.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DT78
    Free Member

we have a local butchers but it’s super pricey and whenever I’ve seen it close to Xmas has a queue out the door. bet they are lovely though.

off to Google farm auctions

fossy

Tonnes of em in the supermarket. At worse, get one out of the freezer section. Didn’t notice the difference, the time we got a frozen one. We all buy too big a bird. I much prefer fancy veg these days. A little turkey, hold the roasties back, loads of veg.

Drac

Shit loads of them.

Word of advice as Christmas approaches.If you’ve bought your turkey already don’t put it in the freezer.I did yesterday and this morning it’s dead…..

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’m sure you could cycle 5mins down the road to Lidl tomorrow and pick up something like
    https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLidl.htm?articleId=18977 or something more conventional.

I wouldn’t take the car by choice, Shirley Rd has been murder of late, plus I’ve seen car queues on the way into their car park that have reached the main road. 😉

DT78
    Free Member

yes Shirley is mental as is most of town at the moment… let’s hope I can rescue Xmas. Not sure about fitting a 5kg Turkey in a backpack though

CountZero

Why bother with a whole turkey, just get a turkey crown, no wastage with one of those.

fooman

or get something nicer, pork, lamb, duck?

fossy

Turkey is crap, compared to a corn fed chicken… Seriously over rated. Another Crown buyer. Hmm duck…..

johndoh
    Free Member

ALDI and Lidl will both have them still. I got a huge one (7kg I think) for £33 on Wednesday. Don’t waste your money on organic butcher bred free range bollocks – I don’t believe for a minute it’ll taste any better once you’ve got all the other shit on it.

Drac

Free range chicken is a good call we’ve one ordered again.

£33 for Turkey that needs to be covered to taste good? Jesus.

rene59
    Free Member

Turkey is crap, compared to a corn fed chicken… Seriously over rated.

Good chicken is magnitudes better than turkey but not as easy to feed a crowd I suppose.

garage-dweller

You should be alright I would have thought in most supermarkets.

And if you’re talking Shirley Southampton there seems to be a special kind of lunacy on all Hampshire’s roads these last few weeks.

takisawa2

Just ply them with that M&S red cabbage with apple…my word that was the highlight of my dinner last year. I’d have happily had just that with some stuffing. Turkey is way, way overrated.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

DT78, it just dawned on me, getting the Xmas turkey is not your responsibility given your superhero youngster and his new bike…

Dinner, dinner, dinner, dinner, dinner, dinner, dinner, dinner Batman! 😆

DT78
    Free Member

lol. he doesn’t get it till Santa brings it on Xmas day.

and yes that Shirley. I’ve stopped riding outside after 2 very near misses. bloke at work got run over whilst waiting at a junction and had his foot broken and bike written off.

I also agree Turkey is overrated, I did suggest some nice beef but met resistance. it’s traditional…

Rich_s

3 bird roast ftw…

petec
    Free Member

Rather than a turkey (which isn’t that good), just buy two chickens, and roast them together.

Much easier, more legs, nicer. Etc

Dickyboy

Did the booze run last night, plenty of time to pick up a turkey by the looks of the local Tesco but +1 for good chicken or duck anyday

Jakester
    Free Member

Last year missed the pre-order cut-off date, so were down at the supermarket at 8am and there were loads. (We were actually after goose, and there were only a couple – I was fully prepared to lay out the old dear that was eyeing ‘our’ goose up…)

lunge

I don’t believe for a minute it’ll taste any better once you’ve got all the other shit on it.

You’re wrong. A well cooked bronze turkey is very nice indeed, irrelevant of what else you cook with it.

PJay
    Free Member

You’ll have to hurry, they’re all being bought up by aeronautical testers to fire into plane engines to simulate drone strikes 🙂

TheBrick
    Free Member

It’s your bown fault for choosing turkey. Your wife should know better, doesn’t she know you are a member of stw?

molgrips
    Free Member

I like roast turkey.

whenever I’ve seen it close to Xmas has a queue out the door

Then queue. How long can it take?

TheBrick
    Free Member

3 bird roast ftw…

I had one of those once. Can’t remember any of their names.

nealglover
    Free Member

[/quote]Then queue. How long can it take?[/quote]

Exactly my thought 👍

Most local butchers I’ve ever been in have room for maybe 3 people inside, so a “queue out the door” is 4, possibly 5 people! 😂

slowoldman

This year I shall be stuffing a pork roast with agen prunes soaked in brandy. I will be cooking my own red cabbage (M&S indeed!!). As for queues, at my butcher the turkey queue is out the door, down the street, round the corner!

nixie

Then queue. How long can it take?

If he is referring to where I think he is then there is room for significantly more than 2/3 inside and the queue will be quite long out of the door (even with all the staff they have). Without an order I’d also suspected that he’d be out of luck! Unfortunately that is a queue I have to join tomorrow :D.

molgrips
    Free Member

Of course that’s what phones are for, quite literally.

rOcKeTdOg

we’re having cheese sandwiches again this year, can’t wait!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

No chance in Uptons, for the record!

Although the new cafe is a nice addition 🙂

40mpg

I’ve got to brave the mutant mile to visit my parents in Shirley. Otherwise I stay well clear!

If stuff isn’t available in Uptons, try one of the places they supply. Longdown farm shop is up the road from me and they are supplied by Uptons, often has plenty stuff when elsewhere has sold out.

akira

Capon all the way.

DT78
    Free Member

crisis averted, one turkey in the bag.

why anyone chooses of their own free will to go to one of those hell holes I do not understand. I’d rather have my finger nails pulled. Why do, in particular, the elderly, fat, slow or generally stupid people not take advantage of having someone pick, pack and deliver their shopping to their kitchen table? Surely these are the use case which benefits the most from such a service?

And yes, no chance at Uptons. Lucked out last year when we realised we didn’t have stuffing on Christmas Eve and they were able to sort us out. Café is lovely, but pricey – tend to pop in there every couple of months as a treat. The queue is easily 30-40 people, often more.

Do people still use phones for actual phone calls?

slowoldman

Capon all the way.

Yep mum used to do a capon. Much more succulent than turkey

ourmaninthenorth

Apparently Christmas lunch is supposed to be enjoyable.

Well, so long as it doesn’t involve Turkey it will be fine. Sadly, the in-laws insist on it, so my house will be stinking of turkey fat all Christmas Day.

And the damned thing will be huge with far too much left over. Still, the cats will eat like kings I guess….

Swelper
    Free Member

TBH. it’s Xmas nobody is going to run out of turkey sprouted etc etc. Last yr we did a M&S click and collect. Then on Xmas eve did a booze run. Low and behold everything was on sale and still fresh. This yr bought the meat. Then eve time off we go be lucky if I spend £4 for a table of 5.

CountZero

Do people still use phones for actual phone calls?

Only on the occasions when the mobile interwebz isn’t available.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Turkey pre order fail…’ is closed to new replies.