Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Turbo Trainers & Tyres
  • Kryton57

I can use a normal (road) tire on the TT – right? It just wears quicker?

jonba
    Free Member

hope so, cause I am.

just using the tyre that has come to the end of its life this summer so will run it on the turbo through winter and replacing in spring.

Wear is noticeable so wouldn’t want to use a tyre I was going to use on the road again.

bitterlemon
    Free Member

Yep, no problems.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Yes you can. i tried it first and it slipped a bit too easily so I swapped to a turbo specific tyre which cured that. Had I not had a problem I would have stuck with a regular tyre.

Northwind

Mine uses retired road tyres. I did have a conti turbo tyre for a while on a loan, it gripped a little better and seemed to heat up less (not sure about that one) but wasn’t noticably quieter or anything.

Jase
    Free Member

Used normal road tyres for the past 5-6 years and never had a problem.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Prefer using a turbo specific one here. Worth getting as it’s looking like they last forever!

mrchrispy

the turbo is where old tyres go to die

zilog6128

Just got a turbo last month. Noticed very rapid wear on the tyre, and seeing as I only have one set and they are tubeless I got a cheaper rear wheel & trainer tyre pretty quick! Slips a bit less too (not that it was a real problem before).

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ive been using the same cheap Vitoria tyre for about 3 years now. The tyre appears to be wearing out slower than the roler on the Turbo!

Kryton57

Cheers all. Seeing as the Turbo will replace an outdoor session only when I can’t get out I’m not worried about wear on the rear as it would be roughly the same inside of outside ie replacement would be necessary anyway.

Just checking but was suitable!

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

As above yes but a lot of wear and IME it slips lots so I switched to a turbo specific tyre. As you are now getting coached / racing next year, you might find yourself on it more anyway – I definately think twice about riding outside when its icy as a bad fall now would be a disaster for racing next year / waste of all my blood, sweat and tears! 🙂

Kryton57

DG – did you deduce all that from my posts of do we know of each other?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

er no, i didn’t. go on then, enlighten me!

edit, ha, i mis-read your post completely to read that we knew off each other. IGMC and go for coffee. 🙂

Kryton57

Are you LP?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

No. I’m still none the wiser!

Kryton57

Ok. I wondered how you knew I was racing and training. LP are my clubs initials I thought perhaps you might be at the same club…

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I know because you post on mostly the same threads I do and you always have a comment about racing/training and so on.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Turbo Trainers & Tyres’ is closed to new replies.