Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Turbo trainers – rear wheels
  • Stoner
    Free Member

For Mrs S you understand. I dont bat that way.

Picked up an eBay trainer for a song this weekend, and tested it out. All seems fine. Im concious that she’s going to be putting a fair few hours in on a fairly decent back wheel & block not going very far.

Does it make sense to buy/build a crappy rear wheel with freehub and use the ultegra block that goes with the chain and chainrings, or swap for a cheap block and chain and hope the chainrings dont get shagged?

What makes the for the best rubber too? Cheap and nasty? something with a tread to keep a consistant feel (slicks seem to slip a bit during power phase of crank stroke)

Or sod it and just go with the planet X model Bs that are on there and make her save up for some new carbon clinchers for when the daylight returns?

sockpuppet

go for one of the turbo specific rear tyres – they make the whole thing quieter, and run cool so you can run the contact nice and firm for good grip without peeling the tread off a road tyre.

i’d be tempted to run big ring and a midsize rear sprocket to spread the load, then not worry too much about wearing the block. probably easier to shift the block onto a cheap rear and leave the tyres seated, unless the bikes going on and off the TT a lot.

if you’re going to be switching thing often, then go for a cheap rear and new cassette, so long as the chain isn;t really worn. a cheap new block won’t do your chain any harm, although a part worn chain will wear the new cassette a little (unless it’s so worn that the chain skips).

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers sp.

so a trainer specific tyre*, a cheap wheel and either a cheap block and use the existing chain or just put the good block on and be done with it. The bike will live on the trainer for the next 3 months without coming off.

* cheap recommendations?

iDave
    Free Member

I’ve just hopped off the turbo trainer – I use a normal wheel and tyre (dura ace and conti), it’s fine for 45 mins twice a week.

Graham_Clark

As it happens I have a virtually new (used for about an hour and a half) tyre on e-bay… Here 😉

IHN

I’d agree with the turbo-tyre, but why pi$$ around with the block/chain/rings? She’s going to be using it in perfectly dry/clean conditions (I assume), so if you keep her well-lubed (ahem) the wear will be minimal. It will certainly be a lot less than if she was using the bike outdoors, and would you have changed those bits if that was what she was going to do?

sockpuppet

i thought conti did one, but can’t find it now.

there’s this from schwalbe after a quick google.

i’d stick the same block on a cheap wheel if the bike’s staying put for that long.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

If it’s going to be hooked up ‘permanently’, then just change the tyre for a turbo tyre on the standard wheel/chain/cassette and away you go. Loading on the wheel will be a lot less than out in the wild, as it were.

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

Using a spare rear wheel, with BBB cassette, cheap and cheerful from Ribble. Also use a specific tyre. Not used it much this winter, not cold enough to stop me getting out yet.

slowjo
    Free Member

+1 for the turbo tyre. I have a Conti one and it works fine, quiet, it doesn’t overheat and it is fine, it is just a bit tough to get on for some reason.

Stoner
    Free Member

fair point RE: fully lubed and no grit etc.

OK, I’ll go for a tyre – cheers for the link graham, but Im not going up against those windowlickers that bid on eBay 😉

Ill get a nice new one.
    there’s this one at wiggle
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-coperton-indoor-turbo-trainer-tyre/

The schwalbe is out of stock at wiggle.

Jase
    Free Member

I’ve used a turbo on normal tyres for years and never ruined one. As above, if using the bike soley on the turbo then a specific tyre wouldn’t hurt but I would’nt bother with anything else.

Stoner
    Free Member

ribble seems to have some good deals.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Turbo trainers – rear wheels’ is closed to new replies.