Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Turbo-trainerists, how do you do it?
  • Northwind

I’ve borrowed one from my mate, got the commuter set up on it, quite enjoying it in its horrible way, except… I’ve got it set up in a freezing cold garage, I’m out there wearing nothing but a pair of shorts, and sweating like a pig- how do you do it in summer? I ended the session by staggering out into the garden and rolling about in the snow!

meehaja
    Free Member

yup. Fans are popular, as is doing it outside. In summer, I tend to ride a real bike (or at least ride it on the roads)

Junkyard
    Free Member

use on in summer do folk actually do this

mine sees no use unless weather is crap and even in summer i would not bother

rossi46
    Free Member

More like WHY do we do this?
    If you have to stay in and cant get out on the bike (like staying at home with the kids etc) then a turbo trainer keeps the legs going.
    I’ll only ever use it in winter though as in summer i can take the kids with me in a trailer!

Northwind

Fair point about summer, that is depressingly obvious now you say it.

mintimperial

I did use the turbo once or twice in summer when I was stuck at home due to parental duties. A fan on full blast right in front of the bike just about stopped me from dying of dehydration, that was in a cold, stone shed thing though…

Northwind

I might need to dig an extension to my sex dungeon and put it in there. Not sure which is less socially acceptable.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ve used mine in Summer. If I just had 40-50 minutes to spare and wanted to do structured exercise rather than a ride. Shed in the winter, garden in the summer, it’s sweaty but not much worse than riding on a hot day.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I use mine in my lounge. Usually spend an hour on it, and during that time I get though 4 pints of water.

I’m not sure that can be good for you…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yup reckon on about a litre for every half hour. Do quite a bit in the summer too. if you have to do it indoors then get a very powerful fan (think F1 style wind tunnel!)

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

In the shed, OK down to minus 15, then it goes in the laundry room.

I use mine, (rollers), all year round, brilliant for structured sessions and testing the fitness levels

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

Recently started using it again for time trialling , just to get a window on how fit I am. Time is coming down. It kitchen with iPad and a fan. This was after a particularly bad club ride.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Turbo-trainerists, how do you do it?’ is closed to new replies.