turbo trainer type things

Home Forum Bike Forum turbo trainer type things

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • turbo trainer type things
  • Premier Icon white101
    Subscriber

After months off the bike due to a broken ankle I am toying with one of these turbo trainer type jobs to get a bit fitness back before I start riding again and to provide a bit of exercise for the ankle.
    Any recommends for me? It’ll be for use in the garage and there isnt bags of space (due in part to the inability of the OH to throw stuff away) Physio have given the go ahead for a bit of light exercise and this got his thumbs up.

heavy_rat

I got a Tacx one from Merlin for about 70 quid. Its great for a bit of extra training. I wouldn’t want to spend anymore on one.

Premier Icon coolhandluke
    Subscriber

£70 😯

I just go one from Halfords, listed at £120 but on line (collect in store) for £99.99. Plus, I you spent over £100 you got 10% off so I bought or if them front wheel lifters. Total fist £102.78.

I put the wife’s bike on it as that’s the only pedal turning that bike will see.

matt1986

I got a jet black fluid one, its amazing. The resistance increases the harder you pedal and dependant on gear so it’s more realistic.

Premier Icon white101
    Subscriber

What tyres for turbo trainer????

Can you run an mtb on these easily, all the photos on websites seem to have a roadbike sat on them.
    I’d like a cx bike in the near future but I cant get that past the OH when I havent ridden any bike since Boxing day.

catsplums

I am really interested to know benefits of fluid or magnetic (or any other) are there things I should know about each for example if I just want to build a single speed for use clocking up indoor miles would that work on a fluid one? (do they all have adjustable resistance?)

matt1986

Fluid are quieter than magnet ones, they don’t all come with adjustable resistance. I’m using my single speed on my fluid one and I just keep an eye on how quick I can do a certain mileage and try and do it quicker each time because the harder you pedal the more resistance you have on my jet black one. Also you’ll need a turbo trainer tyre they last a lot longer and reduce noise.

catsplums

cool thanks for the info and do all trainers adjust for 26-29″ wheels or do I need to be careful to get specifically the correct one?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘turbo trainer type things’ is closed to new replies.