Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Turbo Setup
  • johnw1984
    Free Member

I’m in the process of setting up my turbo again for early morning training spins before work, but I’m in need of a few bits to finish.

I have a basic TacX turbo with bluetooth cadence and speed sensors, a medium road frame (so me and my wife can adjust the seatpost and use the bike) and shimano 105 rear mech and cassette.

I think I need a 27.2mm seatpost, 105 10 speed shifters, bars/stem and some cheap/basic QR wheels. I’ve toyed with getting a cheap second hand road bike, but if I get something XL, my wife won’t be able to use it.

If anyone has seen any bargains on the above, don’t be shy and share them! Wouldn’t mind some training app tips too. Maybe something that can run on Android that the sensors can connect to?

Teifiterror
    Free Member

Android app wise definitely look at trainerroad. It is entirely about. Improving performance and hitting power numbers (can use virtual power if trainer doesn’t have power).

For non android zwift is as fun as it gets indoors with events and virtual courses.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Zwift Android app.

mogrim

I much prefer Sufferfest to Zwift. But both have free trial periods, give them both a spin (ha!) and see what you think.

andyr
    Free Member

Another Sufferlandrian here. It hasn’t got an android app (yet, they’re working on it) so I use a laptop and an ANT+ usb stick. As above they do a weeks free trial. Try it. As an added bonus you get yoga and strength training videos too.

boblo
    Free Member

How useful are the pretend ride apps if you’re not on a smart trainer? I’ve an old Tacx effort and I’m trying to work out how to best use it whilst I rehab from my broken neck. Sorry for the slight segue.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I have tried Zwift and Sufferfest in the past (enjoyed both), but I don’t want to spend money on another laptop just yet.

I’d be too tempted to get a posher trainer if I started with a Zwift setup. I’ll have a look at Trainerroad too as I don’t think I’ve seen that one yet.

I’ve found some £95 Shimano wheels on Merlin and cheap Chain Reaction bars to start, but I’m struggling to find cheap 105 10 speed shifters! I’ve got the rest of the stuff, and I don’t need brakes.

sparksmcguff

How useful are the pretend ride apps

I’d say if it keeps you motivated and you’re making an extra effort because of your interaction with the app it’s useful.

I have a dumb kinetic trainer paired with a power meter. The figures that trainer road and Zwift guess for power output are usefully close to the figures the powermeter reports. Keeping your tyre at a constant pressure is the bit that aids consistency of reported power.

sparksmcguff

, but I’m struggling to find cheap 105 10 speed shifters! I’ve got the rest of the stuff, and I don’t need brakes.

If you’re just looking for shifters for riding on an indoor trainer any old shifters will do as the quality of the shift isn’t important.

robbo1234biking

I got a Carrera Zelos a couple of weeks ago just for the turbo. Cost £70 and there are loads around at that price point. It is heavy but it doesn’t matter as it just sits on the turbo and wont go outside. Maybe better value than buying new wheels and components etc?

johnw1984
    Free Member

Ah ok, so what shifters for 10 speed 105 stuff would be compatible? I’m not that well up on road stuff, so I didn’t realise you could get cheaper, compatible shifters.

I’ve already got 80% of the bits, so I wouldn’t want another bike as I’ve not got the room 🙂

willalone
    Free Member

The front ‘wheel’ on my turbo trainer is piece of wood, out of a skip. Impervious to turbo sweat.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Hope it’s varnished! 🙂

mogrim

How useful are the pretend ride apps if you’re not on a smart trainer? I’ve an old Tacx effort and I’m trying to work out how to best use it whilst I rehab from my broken neck. Sorry for the slight segue.

Sufferfest would be fine, you can follow the video. More here:

https://support.thesufferfest.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002647866-What-You-Need-to-Use-The-Sufferfest-App

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

I bought a really cheap brand new road bike to use on the turbo, a Viking Roma that only cost £225, as long as the wheels go round when you pedal and it has a comfy saddle it doesn’t really matter. To be fair that’s all its any good for, brakes are useless, 18mm tyres have no grip and give a bone shaking ride through the heavy deep section alloy wheels and heavy steel fork. The reach on the drop and reach on the bars is massive and are the wrong shape for STI, you can’t reach the levers comfortably from the drops or the hoods!

Get a proper trainer tyre I burst half a dozen innertubes using the original tyres.

Where are you going to set the turbo up?

Big screen telly and decent set of speakers to drown out the turbo and cooling fan make the turbo experience less traumatic.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’ve got a few TVs knocking about so I might set something up with that. I’ve also got a turbo tyre I used to use.

Using an old frame I already have as I know me and my wife can both use it with a seatpost adjustment.

Just need shifters for the 10 speed 105 now I think, then it’s not far off.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Turbo Setup’ is closed to new replies.