Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Turbo Gone Wild!
  • johnw1984
    Free Member

OK, so I posted a while ago asking about direct drive turbo trainers that are compatible with boost rear ends. I’ve saved a bit of money recently not having a car, so I thought I’d go have a look to see what’s available around £500.

Everything seems to be sold out and second hand stuff if fetching silly money on eBay! I have a basic turbo with a speed and cadence sensor and it works fine for training on Zwift. It’s just that the bike I’m using is too small and 40 mins creases me!

I can’t get comfortable on it at all! Short of asking if anyone has anything for sale, would it not be more cost effective to just get a bigger road bike either a nice cheap new, or second hand?

I’d have to take some measurements as I’m probably top end large, bottom end XL (6’2″ medium legs, long torso) on most stuff. Any sensible suggestions welcome as I really would like to use the turbo more (especially now), but in relative comfort.

simondbarnes

Just buy a long adjustable stem

johnw1984
    Free Member

That might work to be honest, or at least get me more comfortable for the time being.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yea, 2 weeks ago Halfords had Elite Drivo’s for £550, now even the ‘cheapest’ ones are more than that if they’re available at all. On one seem to have found some ancient badly reviewed elites down the back of the sofa and selling at almost that price!

Just get a long 130mm or 150mm stem with plenty of rise and flip it upright. Its not like it has to be aero or handle well on the turbo!

johnw1984
    Free Member

Yeah, I think I have to be realistic. I was going to use it as an excuse to shoehorn a cheap road bike in and maybe get an hour in before work with the lighter mornings now, then put it on the turbo in winter.

Weekends are usually reserved for MTB (when the current emergency passes).

Suppose that’s just more expense and another bike taking up space though. I’ll go for a longer stem and see how I get on.

I need to have a go at trying to set it up properly too. Can never seem to get comfortable on any saddle I have. That combined with the bike being small just makes it rather unpleasant.

Poopscoop

Yeah, I have a cheap cx bike on my turbo but bought a cheapo adjustable stem to get the height etc a bit better as im used to mtb bars.

Worked well and then bought a standard stem to mimic the adjustable one.

I replaced the adjustable as when pulling up on the bars when out of the saddle there was a little bit of annoying movement in the stem. Doesn’t matter though, it served its purpose.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Can never seem to get comfortable on any saddle I have. That combined with the bike being small just makes it rather unpleasant.

Getting comfortable on a turbo is an art. Saddles that are ‘ok’ on the road are agony on the turbo as you dont move arround.

The upside is if you find one that works on the turbo it’s going to be good all day on the road.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Suppose I could just put pedals on the couch!

I’ll have a mess about with what I have then and see if I can improve things with a longer/adjustable stem.

Poopscoop

thisisnotaspoon is spot on about the saddle.

I bought a few second hand ones off the forum before the virus hit to try and find one my bum likes.

The best so far is a Fabric one. However, as you move so little on the saddle it’s still a long way from comfortable after an hour or 2 in the saddle! I have to make a conscious effort to move around on it to ease things slightly.

BadlyWiredDog

The best so far is a Fabric one.

Funnily enough I ended up with one of those. It’s worth making sure that the bike is level on the turbo so the saddle sits at the same angle there as it does IRL as it were. The real game changer for me was a rocker plate and a swivelling front wheel block which makes the whole set-up a load more comfortable. Not quite the same as riding on the road, but way more bearable than the whole rigid, concreted-in, fixed saddle feel of a standard turbo.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I might nick the Ergon off the Slash and give it a go on the turbo. Just ordered a cheap 110mm adjustable stem from eBay to try out.

At the moment, I’ve got the speed/cadence sensor paired with a Surface Go via Bluetooth. I have an ANT dongle, but no USB-A port (only USB-C). Am I right in thinking if I get an adapter, I could run my HRM and the other stuff from the ANT dongle?

Gutted I didn’t get a nice turbo sorted before all this!

I have considered a rocker plate, but they always seem a bit spendy and don’t have the skills or the tools to make one 🙂

akira

Making a rocker pretty easy if you do something basic. Mine is a chunk of wood, a broom handle, two batons, six squash balls, six curtain rail hooks and some nails and wire holding fittings.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Turbo Gone Wild!’ is closed to new replies.