Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Turbo/rollers for MTB?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

My fitness has taken a big hit recently, it’s down to not having something convenient to get on and ride in the evenings like I used to. Is it worth setting up my MTB for a turbo/rollers or would I be better off going back to a cheap road bike and rollers? Obviously this will be a greater expense since I already have the MTB, but what’s a MTB like for indoor training – I’m guessing the gears won’t be hard enough for normal rollers without some kind of resistance adjustment?

My bike doesn’t really fit any of the current standards which might be an issue on a turbo – 1×10, 26″ with a 135×12 bolt through rear axle. All of the trainers I can find seem to be for 142mm hubs but are adapters available?

northshoreniall

I use a early 2000’s 26″ wheeled cove stiffee with a turbo specific rear tyre on a smart turbo. Singlespeed as turbo does resistance.
    Only done about 800km on it but no issues quite comfy.
    Might be worth you having spare rear wheel with cassette and turbo tyre on?
    Edit – mines a wheel in Wahoo, might get round hub size issues if wheel off ones an issue?

northshoreniall

Wahoo do adaptors – https://uk.wahoofitness.com/devices/indoor-cycling/accessories/kickr-thru-axle-kit
    Not sure if will work for your requirements

snaps
    Free Member

This cost next to nothing to set up with a cheap 1×9 bits from the spares box/ ebay

martymac

Or see if you can find a wheel off turbo.
    That way the lower gearing will be less of an issue.
    Edited to add, i use an elite wheel off trainer, it has adapters for different axles.

_tom_
    Free Member

I did the compatibility checker on the Wahoo website and it said nothing they make is compatible with my bike. Maybe something like snaps has up there is the way to go!

jamesoz

An MTB is plenty hard enough work on rollers and rollers are the only form of dumb trainer I can cope with.

However the wheelbase will probably be too long. The only MTB in the house which fitted my Tacx rollers was an old jump bike.

As above you don’t need a whole bike and if it’s permanently a ‘trainer bike’ it’ll be used more.

Smart trainers are expensive but a game changer for me. It goes from barely tolerable to sort of fun.

_tom_
    Free Member

I managed to get my mtb on my old Tacx Antares no problems, it just rolled like crap with the knobbly tyres 🙂 the Elite ones say theyre suitable for mtb as well so could be a good relatively cheap option with some slick tyres.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

135x12mm thru axle might be a major issue in finding a suitable smart turbo.

Off the top of my head, I’m not sure what the Saris H3 supports besides 135×10 q/r and 142×12 bolt thru. With SALE15 code it’s ~£450 at https://www.probikekit.co.uk/turbo-trainers-bicycle-rollers/saris-h3-smart-trainer/12684886.html , no idea if that’s the best deal right now. I’ve had one since Easter from Rutland Cycles, replaced my dead Direto, very good for ERG workout power matching and happy in general so far.

If you need a new bike, you could do a lot worse than https://www.merlincycles.com/wilier-montegrappa-tiagra-road-bike-190094.html for ~£635 before any loyalty discount, if geo fits.

Don’t forget to check Topcashback and Quidco.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.