Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tuning with Shockwiz.
  • happybiker
    Free Member

Had a go with my new Shockwiz today around Danbury common, which for anyone who’s been there will know it’s not exactly Les Gets but it’s the most bumpy area near where I live.

Got my 160mm Lyriks RC 2’s sorted quickly, all green with just some more pressure, 1 click of rebound and 1 click HSC required so I was pretty close to start with. It never used the last 20mm of travel though so I might drop it down a bit and check again.

The Deluxe only has LSR and at times it was asking for:
    * extra volume spacers (I have 2 fitted and none spare) and pressure (both amber) but later on it decided they were fine without me touching them.
    *less HSR and more HSC (both Amber) but these are preset and it showed packing down in red…. The o ring was right at the end of the shock and there were 14 deep compression events, dynamic sag 23%.

I’m going to perservere obviously but I was considering a MegNeg air can, which on a linear frame (Starling) I think it makes sense. Will adding more neg volume be the same as reducing the positive volume? Is it worth getting the shim stack adjusted to sort out the HSR and HSC?

kimbers

I think that adding the mega neg will allow you to run a higher pressure and reduce the bottoming out, with the negative chamber still keeping small bump sensitivity

That should help with packing down problem, but may not totally fix it.

Volume spacers are the cheapest way to tune things tho, so might be worth starting with them

Also worth remembering that depending on type of terrain you’re riding , speed, mud etc. Your shockwiz recommendations will vary some

breninbeener

With regard to this on Pikes RCT3, the instructions say assess it with everything open, but that doesnt allow you to adjust LSC, so should the compression adjustment be in the middle position so that LSC can be adjusted?

Sorry for thread hijack

Ian

kiksy
    Free Member

Had a go with my new Shockwiz today around Danbury common, which for anyone who’s been there will know it’s not exactly Les Gets but it’s the most bumpy area near where I live.

Is this where you ride mostly on that bike/ where you want to ride that bike most?

happybiker
    Free Member

Thanks Kimbers, that’s sort of what I was expecting.
    Ian, I think you start with everything open regardless, and see how you go. With the compression adjuster open the LSC will also be open. From what I remember about my previous Pike I always had LSC open.

happybiker
    Free Member

No, I usually ride it in the Peaks or Wales, I know the trails are very different but I just wanted to give it a go. I know there isn’t 1 magic setting for everywhere but I’ll use this as a starting point.
    Keen to try a MegNeg, I fitted a Vorsprung Corset to my old Yeti SB95 and it made a huge difference to the capability of the bike, but at the expense of a slightly wallowy pedaling feeling.

DrP

I never get this.. Why ISN’T they’re a magic setting for everywhere?!

Once I’ve set my shock, I only adjust the lockout on /off…

If I’m doing a little pootle then clearly I won’t use all travel, but small bump with be fine…
    Bigger stuff = more travel = using the HSC and HSR settings…

Do people really change settings for where they ride?

DrP

Rubber_Buccaneer

Do people really change settings for where they ride?

I believe Greg Minnaar does, me not so much. That’s probably why he’s a bit quicker than me

happybiker
    Free Member

I generally leave mine too once it’s set up nicely, but I haven’t got the Deluxe to where I’m totally happy yet.

DrP

The only time I (that’s me… I admit I’m probably missing something) could see someone change settings is to REALLY slow down rebounds at the rampage etc….

DrP

reev
    Free Member

There’s a hugely comprehensive thread (1600+ replies) here on MTBR which might come in handy.

I’ve considered renting a Shockwiz as I tend to just set sag, put rebound somewhere in the middle and then leave it, but it seems a bit pointless when I’m only running a Yari and a Deluxe RT so not sure if I’d see many of the benefits.

happybiker
    Free Member

I’ve skim read bits of that thread, will give it a proper read.

kimbers

Without trying to sound like a suspension god (I know I’m not)

Shockwiz always seems to tell me that I’ve got things set up fine so it’s just reassurance really, but that’s usually after trial & error until it feels right.

And no I’m not likely to change my settings for different places- I’m quite lazy really, it’s more just geeky interest to try & understand how it all works

kiksy
    Free Member

I never get this.. Why ISN’T they’re a magic setting for everywhere?!

Once I’ve set my shock, I only adjust the lockout on /off…

If half of your riding is on slick muddy super steep off camber and fairly low speed, and the other is on super fast smooth big jump lines then the ideal setup for each will be quite far apart.

Obviously that’s an extreme example, but most people don’t ride the same terrain in the same conditions and mood all the time.

For me I try and setup the bike for the most riding I do, rather than what I’d like to do and accept that it won’t be perfect for a lot of it, as I can’t be arsed to faff around changing it all the time.

DrP

I like learning about the shock too.. Heck.. I got a CCDB just cos it’s got MOAR DIALZZZ BAYBEH….!

DrP

missions
    Free Member

I can highly recommend the MegNeg. Prior to installation I had my Deluxe RC3 stuffed with volume spacers to eliminate the constant bottom out and had to run less than 20% sag to aid in the end stroke. I never really got on with it and at a certain stage was contemplating ponying up for an Fox X2.
    As a last resort I gave the MegNeg a go and it has truly given the Deluxe the “feel” I was after. Now I can run +/-30% sag with only a Gnardog(yeah I know interesting name for a 2.5 volume spacer) and the max number of rubber bands in the negative chamber which equates to an increase of 60% volume in the negative chamber. This resulted in an increase in small bump compliance while also minimising those bottom outs by being able to run higher pressure in the shock. Even the midstroke support has drastically been improved.
    Getting back to the original question regarding the relationship between negative and positive volume. Negative volume only assists in overcoming the initial pressure(caused by the positive pressure) in getting the shock to start moving into its travel ie. “small bump compliance”
    Positive pressure determines how deep the shock sits into its travel “sag” and ultimately the forces needed to reach bottom out/full travel
    So by increasing neg volume and decreasing pos volume (for this example keeping all pressure constant) you would end up with a very supple begin stroke which would continue through to bottom out due to the lack of volume in the pos chamber.
    I fully agree with what kimbers initially posted and do think that with the increase in pressure you would also resolve some of the HSR and HSC issues faced.
    Disclaimer I’m no suspension expert and this is only my understanding of how it all interacts.

happybiker
    Free Member

Thanks for the detailed reply missions. I’ll try the MegNeg, I read that when you fit it you can take out a positive spacer, did you have the same finding?

missions
    Free Member

Yeah you will probably end up removing some volume spacers from the positive side due to the increase in pressure needed to maintain correct sag

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tuning with Shockwiz.’ is closed to new replies.