Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • 'Tuning' a NA car
  • kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

You cant tune a NA without F.I.

Err… Say what?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDZHRun6h7c[/video]

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Slight difference , it has 4.6ltrs in the V8. 100 bhp per litre is good, but 300 bhp is not that great, but forget torque on the Honda. Supercharging is the way to go or buy a fast car in the first place.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Slight difference , it has 4.6ltrs in the V8. 100 bhp per litre is good, but 300 bhp is not that great, but forget torque on the Honda. Supercharging is the way to go or buy a fast car in the first place.

300bhp out of 4.6 litres is awful, yes (sounds good though!). My point was more that Hora is spouting bollocks, there’s an industry built around tuning NA engines.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

NA tuning is minimal. I had a Westfield with a 2ltr Zetec. Standard was 130 bhp. Never took the head off, never changed the cams. Throttle bodies, injection, exhaust Emerald ECU saw 182 bhp at Emeralds. That’s just junking all this emission crap we have on an engine. It would do over 45 mpg to Le Mans and back, so tree huggers should be happy too. But, its a lot of money to make 50 bhp. The next step would have been a supercharger, its the only way to make a big difference.
    As for tuning a fezza 1.2 😆 Sorry but that’s a pointless thing to do. The only option for NA is CC’s

TheFlyingOx

Ain’t no replacement for displacement, or so they say.

Realistically, it’s all been covered above. The stuff you can buy for a couple of hundred quid that will make a big difference to a forced induction engine will be hardly worth it on an NA one. You’re going to be spending big money to achieve any reasonable gain with a naturally aspirated engine. The VTECs do take rather well to supercharging though. Depends on whether you’ve bought the car just as a bit of a leftfield choice or as something you fancy chucking a couple of grand at.

hora
    Free Member

Spouting bollocks? Maybe I should have been clearer eh? School tomorrow though so dont forget its bedtime soon.

Northwind

hora – Member

Maybe I should have been clearer eh?

Not trying to be funny chief but what you said doesn’t seem to be anything like what you meant. So not a case of “being clearer” but, well, not getting it wrong.

TheFlyingOx

You cant tune a NA without F.I.

No I didnt say you cant.

Maybe you should have been clearer.

Just saying, like.

Inbred456
    Free Member

If you want to go faster spend your money on better brakes uprated suspension and good tyres. This will allow you to carry more speed, brake later etc and shouldn’t increase your insurance.

benji
    Free Member

The quickest thing the OP can do is not buy it, and buy something that is quicker straight out of the box, and not spend time fiddling and tinkering for tiny gains, which also puts up the insurance once you start declaring the modifications to the insurers. There are loads of articles on tuning civics, still makes me chuckle when I see the brand Spoon, especially when they have the sunstrip, just makes me want to write knife on one side and fork on the other.

Loved my Puma, cracking car, nice fun play thing on track days without being bank breakingly expensive.

steve_b77
    Free Member

If you want proper power it will cost a lot of money, especially if you’re intent on staying NA.

I was seriously into Hondas a few years ago, especially find of the b series engines.

My last one was a full sump up build with new pistons, head inc work, cams n’ pulleys, valves, springs, retainers, inlet manifold, throttle body, exhaust manifold & system, intake, ecu, clutch, flywheel, closer ratio g’box etc etc etc.

It was damn quick, revved like a nutter and dynoed at 234bhp and 170 odd LBS ft of torque.

Wasn’t exactly fuel friendly but was frikkin bonkers

milky1980
    Free Member

As for tuning a fezza 1.2 Sorry but that’s a pointless thing to do.

I’d just sold my Rover SD1 V8 (4.2 ltr, supercharged, 400bhp 😀 ) was missing it A LOT and was offered a workshop for free for a weekend and the whole thing cost me £100. Worth it just for the burble on the over-run as you approach the lights 😛

ononeorange

Molgrips / wobbliscott, slight hijack but is it really possible / worth considering re-mapping a 1.9 turbo diesel based on what you say? I’ve just bought a 115bhp after a 130bhp version and miss the grunt and ability to overtake.

Cheers

Edric64
    Free Member

I have a 2 litre VTEC Accord its only guick above 4250 revs its like a 2 stroke bike .If you drive it in that rev range the fuel consumption is awful though!

xiphon
    Free Member

You must be new here, this is STW.

footflaps

Molgrips / wobbliscott, slight hijack but is it really possible / worth considering re-mapping a 1.9 turbo diesel based on what you say? I’ve just bought a 115bhp after a 130bhp version and miss the grunt and ability to overtake.

TDs are easily remapped, just phone up someone like Jabba and ask what they offer for that model. http://www.jabbasport.com/remaps.php

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

What you want is a bigger exhaust 🙂 See – even Toyota agrees.

ononeorange

Thanks footflaps. Do you know if it is harmful or not on the engine / clutch / transmission?

xiphon
    Free Member

http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/

This guy has a VERY good reputation for tuning diesel engines. He’s located in the middle of Lancashire.

hora
    Free Member

Not trying to be funny chief but what you said doesn’t seem to be anything like what you meant. So not a case of “being clearer” but, well, not getting it wrong.

In English

footflaps

Thanks footflaps. Do you know if it is harmful or not on the engine / clutch / transmission?

A decent tuner will tell you. Modest gains will be fine as the transmission is probably the same between all models, they just detune the engine and knock £2k off the car price. If you up the torque too much, you might need a bigger clutch.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Spent a good amount turning my mk1 clio 16v with lots of shiny things from hill power
    But the thing that made it more fun was better brakes and some toyo tyres.
    Far better corner speed.

The chip did move the rev limit and smooth out the jumps in the power output
    But tyres and brakes first.

Northwind

hora – Member

In English

Yes, your wrong and confusing post was in english.

CountZero

Tall_martin, that’s a tasty FRP, although I’m not really that fond of those big rear wings. I noticed it’s supposed to deliver 38mpg; only when driven by an elderly driver! I never did better than around 33, but I did tend to drive fairly ‘briskly’… 😉

ononeorange

Thanks footflaps and xiphon

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘'Tuning' a NA car’ is closed to new replies.