Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • tumbledryertrackworld
  • wiggles
    Free Member

Looking for a condenser dryer and have £200 currys voucher to spend.

Couple available in my price range.

Is there much difference between C and B energy ratings? Because for £36 over buget I can get a b rated dryer, would this make enough of a difference to recoup the extra outlay?

And does an 8kg c rated dryer dry 8kg clothes with the same power as a 7kg c rated one?

andyl
    Free Member

personally I would spend an extra £99 and get the Bosch B rated.

I would have thought that a C rated 8kg uses the same power per kg as a C rated 7kg. But maybe I am wrong and they just do it on total cycle energy not amount of washing.

johndoh
    Free Member

Does it have to be a condenser? They are more expensive and less efficient from what I understand of them. We just have a standard one and chuck the elephant’s trunk out of the window.

And is it just me, or is cleaning the fluff collector on tumble driers strangely satisfying?

wiggles
    Free Member

Has to be condensor due to location.

It’s like cleaning out a giant belly button.

project
    Free Member

take out fluff and put outside and set fire to it,see how well it burns and then realise you have a steel box full of the stuff in the kitchen

andyl
    Free Member

hmm, we have been thinking about getting a tumble drier. If it creates nice effective fire lighters for the log burner then that’s another positive!

It’s like cleaning out a giant belly button.

You pick it out and then flick it at the other half?

simmy
    Free Member

This thread just reminded me to clean my fluff out. I only got the dryer Monday and it’s strangely satisfying cleaning the filter out.

Its gonna be an OCD for me now.

didgy2
    Free Member

only got one recently, but have been told by a few people that you should NOT use liquid-tabs if using a condenser drier. Any strength in that? 😕

TheDTs
    Free Member

Not sure if Currys do them or if you have gas but have a look at gas tumble dryers. Ours is great, much more efficient than an electric one.

stuarty
    Free Member

Just going to cut the p!ug off ours
    **** 260 quid elecky bill
    And its ment to be “b” rated condensing ..my arse..
    Might try one of them heated clothes airers

Tracker1972
    Free Member

As I was informed by my father who actually looks into such things before buying them, a modern condenser is cheaper to run. I guess if you are retaining the heat rather than constantly pumping it into the world it stands to reason. Don’t know if the condenser is actually powered or just fan cooled but it certainly works.

cranberry
    Free Member

but have been told by a few people that you should NOT use liquid-tabs if using a condenser drier. Any strength in that?

IIRC – you should not use any form of clothes softener. If you run a condensor that auto senses when drying is finished ( AEG ) you need to occasionally give it a wipe out with vinegar to descale it.

teethgrinder

I bought a pulley maid. Dangles in front of and above the STW-approved stove. Not used the tumple dryer in the garage since, unless it was for drying the wife’s work stuff I forgot to do earlier in the day

wwaswas

Not used the tumple dryer in the garage since, unless it was for drying the wife’s work stuff I forgot to do earlier in the day

so, strictly speaking, you have used the tumble dryer in the garage since 😉

I hated air drying clothes in the house – the air just felt so damp the whole time.

trail_rat
    Free Member

tbh teethgrinder – having lived in houses with damp issues , and been to friends who dried clothes inside exclusively.

its not nice – can seriously affect your respiritory system.

stove dries the air out like wet heating systems never will – which dries the clothes quick.

If we didnt have the stove then we may well have bought a tumble drier -as it is i just refuse to have one.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Save your curry’s vouchers for a ne TV or fridge and get a gas one.

GrahamS

It’s worth working out how much you use it to see if that alters your budget.

We use ours quite a lot (2 pre-school kids) so it was worth spending a bit more up front for a more energy-efficient model to save in the long run.

e.g. we were picking between a B efficiency and an A+, which were £199 and £339 respectively. The sums for us went like this:

B model consumes 4.48 kWh per cycle, so ~55.73p a cycle or £144.90 a year
    A+ model consumes 2.68 kWh per cycle, so ~33.34p a cycle or £86.68 a year

There are a couple of site to help with working that out, try reevoo.

In the end we went for this one: http://www.beko.co.uk/Item/DPU8360
    Been pretty happy with it.

ransos
    Free Member

I hated air drying clothes in the house – the air just felt so damp the whole time.

Very easily solved: use a dehumidifier. They take little energy to run and your clothes will dry overnight.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I would have thought it would be cheaper to run a tumble dryer than a dehumidifier, even the most inefficient electric one.

Before I had a tumble dryer I used to put clothes in my airing cupboard with my hot water cylinder. Worked a treat.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘tumbledryertrackworld’ is closed to new replies.