Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • tumble dryer belt stretching – will this work?
  • sadexpunk

belt has started slipping on our zanussi. drum doesnt turn unless we get it started by hand then its ok. just rang the spares shop and looked online and new belt will cost around half of what its worth. then theres the faff of trying to change it over.

had the ‘genius’ idea of maybe wrapping duck tape or something round it a few times over to make the drum a bit fatter 😀 is that a genius idea or the thinking of a loon?

cheers

johndoh
    Free Member

I am thinking ‘melting duck tape and fire risk’

wwaswas

can it be retensioned like a car alternator belt to take up the slack?

sadexpunk

hmmmm…..dont think it can be retensioned but i think ill take a look at it and see if anythings obvious then 😀

thanks

scotroutes

Some of that self-amalgamating tape or exhaust bandage might work better.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Why not find a similar but slightly smaller belt? Perhaps an alternator belt of some description?

bigyinn
    Free Member

You’re still using a tumble dryer at this time of year?

Gear cable wrapped with old iunner tubes? 😆

gusamc
    Free Member

don’t know the design – but can you move the motor over a bit ? – slide it on the bolts

can you turn the belt inside out (ie is the outside rougher than the inside if you see what I mean)

poss – could you roughen either surface

gusamc
    Free Member

carp – sorry double post

chickenman

It’s not that the felt sleeve at the front of the drum is worn (it provides a seal and if worn will slacken the belt and cause the drum to bounce about)?

northernmatt

Is there a non zanussi branded alternative?

Drac
    marcus7
    Free Member

normally they are on a spring tensioner as the drum gets hot it gets bigger, take off the existing belt and you’ll find it gone shiny with the heat and less grippy. get some fine wet and dry paper and give it à scrub in soapy water and pop it back on, it should work! ( did on mine). if it doesn’t then it’s cost you nowt! 🙂
    edit just read above, oops

5thElefant
    Free Member

Check the bearing. I had one rate the bearing and the axle started working it’s way down the back plate. That makes the belt lose…

lasty
    Free Member

Sure its a slipping belt ??
    All the symptoms of a dodgy capacitor starting to go down – giving it a push gets it cranking, the cap just gives it a boost on startup.
    Cap is usually next to the motor – metal cylinder 4″x2″ with 4 wires going into it – about a tenner to replace.

OR … Poundland for a decent washing line … 😉

ruddy
    Free Member

Get it wet and put it in the tumble drier to shrink it.

Oh

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘tumble dryer belt stretching – will this work?’ is closed to new replies.