Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Tumble Driers
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

You are not going to get 18kg of laundry dry using a tumble dryer for anything close to that I don’t think.

No, you’re not. Heat Pump driers seem to be just under 2kwh for a full load of cottons – maybe 8kg.

Stuff dries really well in our house anyway – we’ve got a ‘sheila maid’ type thing in the utility room and the house has a heat recovery ventilation system (and the utility has a high extract rate) so most washing dries overnight or sub 24 Hours anyway. Tumble drier generally just gets used for towels and bedding.

I wonder what the impact is on your heating costs? Evaporating water from clothes in heated house has a cooling effect – it’s not actually ‘free’ but it’s a much more complex thing to try and measure.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I don’t know about their methodology but this https://thriftyparent.co.uk/home-household/cheapest-way-to-dry-clothes-indoors/ reckons dehumidifier much more expensive.

willyboy
    Free Member

My 2peneth.

We had a condenser in an unheated garage and it created lots of condensation.

We now have a relatively cheap vented one (in the garage still).

johndoh
    Free Member

Isnt a dehumidifier just a condensing tumble drier that’s trying to dry your whole house? Technology is the same but it’s going to be slower and more expensive to run.

The other benefit of a dehumidifier is that it helps rids the house of moisture from bathrooms/cooking etc which we find particularly useful as we have a daughter that seems to suffer a bit with chest infections when the damper, cooler months set in and she certainly seems better with one in the house.

jamesco

If it’s going in the garage get a second/ex display model of whatever ilk, massive discount, well worth keeping an eye out , we got a tumble dryer ,tiny dent in front panel( I couldn’t see it) half price ! Looking for a washing machine for utility room, salesman says ‘what you looking for sir?’ I say ‘one like that’ as man in brown coat is shifting one in shop, he says if you’ll take it as seen no box just instructions it’s yours 30% of marked price. Result.

johndoh
    Free Member

we got a tumble dryer ,tiny dent in front panel

We have done that once – a built-in washer-drier at our old house bought for a massive discount as it had a big dent in the side of it. But it’s built-in FFS!!! I was very happy.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

We have a Bosch heat pump. Our electricity bill is about £200/year lower than with the vented one

And what about your gas bill. How much has that gone up?

convert

I don’t know about their methodology but this https://thriftyparent.co.uk/home-household/cheapest-way-to-dry-clothes-indoors/ reckons dehumidifier much more expensive.

According to the manufacturers, Meaco, it costs about 15 pence an hour to run a similar product. Like the heated airer most people leave it on overnight for 8 hours to dry a load of washing. This works out at £1.20 per load, quite a lot more than the other two methods mentioned.

15p an hour would need a machine to consume 1200w when running. Ours uses half that in max turbo mode. Normal laundry mode used 500W. Also they say ‘most people leave it on overnight for 8 hours to dry a load of washing’ – for ‘most’ I suggest they substitute in the word ‘stupid’! Yes, if used badly I guess it would use more energy.

prettygreenparrot

A heat pump one will not work in the garage. Too cold. https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/content/tumble-dryers-buying-guide

Greybeard
    Free Member

And what about your gas bill. How much has that gone up?

It hasn’t changed. Why would it?

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Tumble Driers’ is closed to new replies.