• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by rakas.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tulips from seed?
  • johnnymarone
    Free Member

Having a nose around the garden today, collecting some haws and napdragon seed pods to try and grow on next spring.
    It occurred to me that i dont think I’ve ever seen self-seeded tulips ( that I know of). Anyone ever tried growing some from seed? Cheers.

slowol

I’d never even considered that!

Looked up the RHS die and it suggests you can but it may take 3 or 4 years to reach flowering size (propagating tab near the bottom of the page).
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/tulip/growing-guide

Good luck. Worth trying these things sometimes. I’ve got rhubarb grown from seed rather than crowns and they’re good so why not tulips.

thecaptain
    Free Member

If you want hundreds of them and can wait a few years, sure. If you just want a few more then just dig up the bulbs and split the offsets.

I don’t know if seed will come true, if that matters. Probably not, would be my guess.

dyna-ti

And here’s me thinking they came from Amsterdam.

johnnymarone
    Free Member

I mean, yeah, i could just wait for the bulbs to split and have exactly the same flowers in a few years, but its the curiosity of the “what if” of the seedling i like.
    Same as apples, most are horrific crab appley things, but every now and then you get a Bramley or a Devonshire Quarrenden, purely by chance.
    I just wondered if anybody had tried tulips and what they came out like, given that they have must have such varied genetics in their background.

andrewh
    Free Member

You thinking of giving that a pop now the bitcoin bubble has burst?

ctk
    Free Member

LOL

johnnymarone
    Free Member

Im nearly 400 years too late ,if I was

Tulip Mania: 10 Facts About the First Financial Bubble

rakas

It’ll take anywhere between 4-7 years for a tulip seed to produce a flower; if the seed is viable at all. Due to the amount of breeding and crossing that goes into a garden variety tulip it might not come up ‘true’ to the parent plant. Still worth a punt for curiousity’s sake though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.