Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tubular tyres revisited (but in the correct place this time)
  • tobymctobeface
    Free Member

Tubular road tyres. Remember those? Yeah well I use them because of some wheels I bought ages ago that I like a lot and wish to still use them for the time being.
    I searched the forum and found a post several years old regards use of worn, otherwise fine, tubular tyres and a suggestion that, and I quote “maybe there’s someone who can retread them?” is this possible? With time, patience and the right bonding cement I see the one crucial thing missing would be the tread strip in order to undertake the procedure myself. Can a tread be purchased anywhere on it’s own? Has anyone done it or know someone who does or is there so much red tape surrounding products nowadays that would make the sale of such a thing ripe for litigation because some guy with Pringle dust still on his fingers simply rubbed the tyre on his been and beer stained vest before trying to stick the tread on himself, sticks it on upsidedown then suing after sliding into a hedge on the local 13mph club ride?

cchris2lou

Why can’t you just change them when they are worn out?

I use tubular with jantex tape. Very easy to do.

Garry_Lager

Retreading tubs sounds like something from way back in the day when a good set cost a month’s wages.
    Just buy some new ones. They’re still pricey, mind, but you want to roll like a boss you got to pay the cost.

Van Alert won the world champs on dugasts retreaded with Michelin greens a few years back, if you’re really committed to this blue Peter project. That’s a proper tread though, nothing like what you’d use on the road.

tobymctobeface
    Free Member

It’s a lot of otherwise good tyre to bin is why. I’ve changed many tubs and have no issues with being able to do it but if it’s possible to get hold of the tread I’ll absolutely be fitting it over binning the lot. I’d like to know if i can get it somewhere at least.

bob_summers

if it’s possible to get hold of the tread I’ll absolutely be fitting it

Seems fiddly to do right without getting a gap or overlap.

I bought some FMBs last year, one had a <1mm gap between the ends of the tread, which I noticed only after I’d glued it on. The gap got bigger as it wore, so the tub went back for an exchange.

There used to be ads in the cycling mags for tub repairs – if anyone knows how to do it it’d be them – if they’re still at it.

martinb
    Free Member

I fix tubs but I wouldn’t consider putting s new tread on.

Dugast or FMB may do it

philjunior
    Free Member

There used to be ads in the cycling mags for tub repairs – if anyone knows how to do it it’d be them – if they’re still at it.

My uncle used to do this. Since then he’s had proper jobs, retired, turned 70, and unfortunately started to get a bit of Alzheimer’s.

Tubs used to be far, far better than clinchers. Nowadays, clinchers are competitive particularly on road where a lower pressure can dampen out the chatter a bit, giving better real world rolling and negating the ability to put 180+psi in your tubs. Some big races are being won by folk running tubeless too.

For now they still have a place on track or very smooth road, IMHO, and perhaps fro CX where you can conversely get away with lower pressure without pinch flats.

tobymctobeface
    Free Member

I know many consider clinchers as better now a days and I’m not going to disagree however i have wheels that are tubular which i like very much. I imagined a tread being available with minimal stretch that would fit like a large elastic band that’s unbroken and gives. Seems like it would be more straight forward to fit then the tyre itself as it would only be 5mm or so wide, sanded, glued, stuck in place, straightened up, inflated, left to dry. Simples, it would seem.
    Dugadt, i think would send them somewhere in Holland and isn’t cost effective. Haven’t checked FMB yet but I would rather do it myself simply because i know that even if the service did exist it would not be worth the cost they’d charge.

simondbarnes

You’ll need to cut the tread off another tyre and use that.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tubular tyres revisited (but in the correct place this time)’ is closed to new replies.